Kolkata Hotels

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kolkata Hotels

I'm working on making hotel reservations for our Nov/Dec trip. We are planning three nights in Kolkata after visiting Sikkim and Darjeeling.

The experts here have recommended the Oberoi Grand, which does look Grand, indeed. But so are the prices - over US$600 per night for a premier room, which includes breakfasts and roundtrip airport transfers.

The Park has a similar deal, a Residence Suite including breakfasts and airport transfers. Travelocity lists it for $1325 including taxes.

The Taj Bengal is also listed on Travelocity with a Taj Club King including breakfasts and transfers for $1458 including taxes.

After doing some more digging, I found a deal on the Taj website that looks too good to be true. It's the same Club King listed on Travelocity, with breakfasts and transfers for rs.37,950 which works out to $762 total for the three nights. You pay upon making the reservations, and it is not refundable or changeable. Given that the price is less for this room than for a regular "luxury" room on the Taj website (without breakfast or transfers), I am suspicious.

Thoughts?
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM

It does not look suspicious to me; the "catch" is the book ahead, nonrefundable part.

More and more hotels both in and out of India, seem to be doing this, as a way to fill beds/ encourage early booking. I just saw a similar offer for Radisson New Delhi, and also got a fantastic rate on NYC hotel like this.

Also consider the ITC. it is supposed to be fantastic, and a few months ago, the prices were more reasonable than the Oberoi or Taj. However, it is out of the city center.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I guess I didn't mention that the rates for the lesser rooms (which are more expensive) on the Taj site are also pay ahead non-refundable.

Since our stay in Kolkata is so short we want to be right in the city center.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Kathie - I am sure that the Dog will chime in but it seems to me that making a REFUNDABLE reservation now with a hotel in an area that makes sense and at a hotel you can live with would be a good idea. Then at the "last minute" check for deals at the Oberoi and elsewhere. November will be tough though.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Craig, I wasn't actually ready to book when I stumbled across the deal. I'm in the final stages of my negotiations for all of our Sikkim and Darjeeling arrangements. I was just trying to find options for fabulous places to stay at less that the Oberoi rates.

But when I stumbled across this deal, I started calculating when I would feel comfortable booking a non-refundable room. Not quite yet - I need the final ok on all the Sikkim and Darjeeling arrangements, then I need to buy our Jet Airways tickets. But these things could easily be in place by next week.

I'll be interested in Dogster's take on the availability of last minute deals the first few days of December... especially since half of the hotels I researched are fully sold out for my dates. I'm guessing there must be something going on in Kolkata during that time.

Anyone have specific feedback about the Taj?
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM

O.K. Where to start.

One: The Taj is not in the city centre. I know it looks like it is, but it isn't; not if you think you can wander out the door and be in the middle of things. You're in a rich people big road jump on the lonely tourist place. Fegeddaboudit. This is not the required Kolkata experience.

Two: the only real issue here is WHEN you feel you need to make a booking. The only stress is actually bouncing up against the sweet Indian idea that it's all so far in the future there's little point in worrying about it. So you end up being quoted silly figures.

Three: at the Oberoi [where you simply MUST stay] I've never paid more than 8,000 - except maybe on my first visit when I was carazed.]. Best I've seen, and current now, is about 6,500 - 7,500. However, I've never tried to book way ahead.
There ARE times when the rates are high. What dates in Dec? Check it against religious holidays. A conference wouldn't book all of Kolkata up, don't think. Dunno.

The area you should research is incredibly simple. Stay in this area and you can have all of amazinbg Kolkata on your doorstep - wuith varying degrees of involvement. The Oberoi wins Dogster's 100% award for correct location.

Next door is the Peerless Inn. Literally next door. So look there. Perfectly fine, great restaurants, a good option BUT, often, more expensive than the Oberoi [ridsiculously; there's no comparison.

The Park over on Park St. is a good option, too. That's about it. Everything else is seriously plunging you into potential oddity. Everything else is miles away or an IT hotel or too crappy.

Your block is bounded by Park St, the road that runs in front of the Oberoi, and I forget where else. lol I'll look it up.

You'll always get a room, you'll always get a deal, it's only a question of whether you're happy with three star in a crazy location. Kolkata can be fierce. The Obe is the one. Don';t stress about the rates. Of course a million $ a night is an idiocy. But you'll have to take a punt, hot their website all the time, learn how they do it. Ms. Raju the Rooms Manager explained their system ayt length. They are very market driven and play the rates game ferociously. So learn their technique.

I can advise on many lateral hotel thoughts, but frankly, knowing you the way I don't, I suspect the Obe is for you. The only thing wrong with the Taj is the location and price, even with your deal. I've NEVER paid more than 10,000 anywhere, any time. I try to hit the 6 - 8,000 mark, if that helps.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Everything else is seriously plunging you into potential oddity" - wouldn't be thinking about the Fairlawn, would you dog? Lol.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Ok, the Taj looked like a fine location, and of course they tout "the best location in Kolkata."

I started by just researching hotel options in Kolkata, but when I stumbled across that great rate at the Taj, I had to ask about it.

The dates I'm looking at are Dec 1-4. Other than the deal at the Taj, all the rates are in the ridiculous range. I'd love to stay at the Oberoi for 8000 rs a night.

I was planning on just waiting (as per your instructions) and looking for a deal closer to our dates. But I have to admit all the fully booked hotels spooked me a bit.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Expedia (and maybe other sites, including Oberoi) has Oberoi for $413/night advance purchase in December. I dont think this includes breakfast or airport transfer, but maybe it's worth it to "buy" the peace of mind now?
It's difficult--a lot can change between now and December.
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cali, I've seen that price or a bit less at a number of booking sites (Agoda was best). Note that Dogster has never paid more than half that price for the Oberoi. I'd pay in advance for a really good price, but at this point it's far enough off I can wait and see.
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the tip on Agoda--will add to internet travel sites! Best wishes for you getting the Oberoi for 8,000 in December. If you see it for that, I'm sure you'll seize the moment. Let your fellow Fodies know of your good fortune.
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
shj

The Fairlawn would be my suggestion
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM

I personally really like the ITC Sonar , it's a city hotel yet has a resort feel to it. They even have an amazing spa.The choice of restaurants is fantastic so you can easily have one or more meals of the day at the hotel.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to let my fellow Fodorites know that I was able to book the Oberoi Grand for our dates. More research revealed that Dogster's rs. 8000 per night is easily achieved right through Nov 30, but as of Dec 1, the rates go up. I checked websites daily for a couple of months, and in the last couple of weeks, the Oberoi's own site plus agoda, travelocity and expedia all showed the Oberoi as sold out for my dates.

Undeterred, I continued to search. I did finally find availability for our dates at gtahotels.com This is not a booking site I've used before, but it is located in NYC, has a toll-free number as well as web booking, and while you do pay upfront, it allows cancellation with full refund up to two weeks before your arrival date. I was able to get three nights at the Oberoi Grand, including daily breakfast, tax and service for US$707 total. Yes, it's a bit more than the US$200 per night that was my goal, but not a lot more given that the US$200 price didn't include tax or service. On the other hand, this price does not include airport transfers. But I expect taxis aren't very expensive.

So I now have all the hotel reservations nailed down for our trip... just 4 weeks away!
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM

fantastic....i will look at that site too
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations. You might at least look in at the Fairlawn for a drink, though.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Thanks for sharing this Kathie! As I mentioned on that other fabulous travel info site http://www.travelindependently.com/ this is fantastic information and will put this one in my India file for future travels.

Aloha!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Peter.

My blog, referenced above by HT, gives the whole process of our decision making and planning for our upcoming trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:47 AM

Congratulations on the great price for the Oberoi, Kathie!! Thank you for the tip--i'd never heard of that site,
Can hardly wait to hear about your trip, as i am planning one to that area a year after yours!!
Happy continued planning!!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Just wondering what the approximate exchange rate is for rupees to US dollars presently in India.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -