Koh Samui or Phukett in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Thailand for honeymoon in July cannot decide between Koh Samui and Phukett. Any ideas where we should stay on the islands.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM

Well the 'weather' has made the decision for you! Phuket in July is right in the middle of the heavy rainy/monsoon season, so Koh Samui is the natural choice at that time of year. There are lots of great resorts, try this and then read the hotel reviews. If you want a really nice place the Dusit Santuburi is great, if you want something mid range or cheaper there is plenty of choice

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM

Sorry forgot, if you want a lively area then Chaweng or Lamai, Bophut is not far from the busier areas but very relaxed, take a look at the 'Waterfront' at Bophut, small and quiet but all the accommodation has beach view which is nice.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Have heard of Dusit Santiburi, is it far from nightlife as I wouldn't mind having the option to go out nearby. The other resorts I had looked at were Tong Sai bay and the royal meridian. But i'm afraid these two will be cut off from other places and maybe will be too quiet
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:14 AM

ang100, I'm in the process of planning a honeymoon in July in Thailand as well. We have opted to select ko samui for five nights (that choice was mostly weather related) We weren't about to fly halfway around the world to sit in the middle of a monsoon. Right now have reservations for the meridien. It was a toss up between that and the dusit, but we really dont mind the remoteness of the place. We are also off to angkor wat right after samui, (bkk 3 nts. and chiang mai 4 nts. just before samui)so we could use a little r&r. We still may however choose another accomodation in the area if we do find something neat and private. I am still looking.

I'd like to hear where else you are going?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

At minute am planning three nights in bangkok and then ten in koh samui.Was hoping that the weather will be nicer than a monsoon. if not might have to have rethink! After reading noticeboard will def have to stay in Peninsula in bangkok. Was thinking of splitting time in Koh samui between two resorts but am not completely sure yet what I'll do. Really want something to do during day and water sports at meridian look excellent but how remote is it?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Just to clarify weather July: This is the stats for rainfall in inches

Bangkok 6.2
Phuket 10.4
Samui 5.6

The rainfall though on Samui that time of year tends to be if any short sharp bursts. If you are into activities I would stick to Chaweng/Lamai/Bophut, the Meridien is away from things and remember you will be paying "Meridien prices...!! for everything. Every accommodation place has tour information, usually a tour desk, and you will find yourself almost swamped with ideas of tours, boat trips, tours, excursions.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:33 PM

James, I know you have provided great info in the past and I thank you. Besides the Dusit and the Meridien, is there another upscale property that we wont feel so remote in without some service (restaurants, pool,etc.) in samui?

Chaweng Regent?
Baan Haad Ngam Boutique?
Peace?
Amari Palm?
Pavilion?
Others???
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Almost every single place will have a pool and restaurant. There are just so many restaurants around Chaweng you have the chance to sample different foods, styles, atmosphere, I honestly don't think you would like either being stuck in your resort of an evening or having the hassle to transport to/from the place.
There is nothing better after a 'hard day at the beach' to have a cooling shower, put on your tropical wear and head out for a nice Mai-Tai cocktial and a great dinner in the open air.
Getting an idea now of what you are after, take a look at these, I think they are along the lines of what you are after

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/samui/amari/details/

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/sa...wstar/details/

Lots of photos
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Is ten nights too long in Koh Samui JamesA or would you recommend that we visit some other place in Thailand. Wouldn't mind a little less luxury for a few days of adventure. I don't think I could handle ten days of doing littLe or nothing. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Hi there ang100

I would also consider Muang Kulaypan in your options. I stayed there for the first time in 2001 with my boyfriend and it was extremely romantic. It's located on Chaweng North so is also easy walking distance to everything.

I stayed there again about 4 weeks ago and the standard was still amazing. Also stayed at Peace Bungalows on Bophut Beach on the way back from Koh PhaNgan but it felt very isolated in comparison. Bophut is the superior beach for swimming though I would say.

http://www.kulaypan.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Ang, are you restricted to a choice of Phuket or Koh Samui? have you thought about the other options ( also, are we not seeing each other on the Thai travelforum ??)....we can't go on meeting like this!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

No james I'm only posting on this board( well I think I am ) must be an imposter!

No not limited to Koh Samui at all( Phuket has been shelved ) but do believe it to be abeautiful island. Why have you any other must visit/do places?
Was looking at Chiang Mai but to be honest there does seem to be mixed views on it

Thanks travel girl hotel does look nice if a bit different
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:32 PM

Hi. Do you dive? If yes, the waters around Samui are great for diving. Go to Koh Tao.

A wonderful hotel in Samui is the TongSai Bay grand Villas. We stayed there couple of years back and it has been one of my most memorable hotel stays ever. (we were in the open-air villa).

Good luck!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM

I heard Bophut was not so good for swimming and snorkelling as it is a bit muddy and the beach is not too clean.

Can any one tell me if they have been recently and what it was like? I want to go next jan/feb.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Susan
Although I said Bophut water was a bit "muddy" it is a very clean beach and we loved it. I just would not think that it would be the best beach for snorkelling. It was certainly brilliant for sunbathing and very peaceful. I am going back this summer.
It is extremely easy to get into Chaweng or any other beach ( and very cheap by songthaew-(spelling?))Why not have the best of both worlds?