Search

Ko Samui....worth the itinerary cram?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ko Samui....worth the itinerary cram?

Hi Fodorites,

For those who already helped me on my asia travel search, we have decided to land in Thailand! I followed the sage advice of another contributor and went with what was calling to me.....and apparently Thailand's heat in April was haha

Quick question as we finalize our itinerary....is trying to fit Ko Samui in there a good idea, or do you recommend cutting it and spending that extra time in Chiang Mai area and Phulay Bay area? I don't know if Ko Samui offers something that much different than the natural sights we will have in Krabi area? We are really looking forward to a food adventure, jungle hiking, spa pampering, diving, a few days beach relaxation, yoga/healing and simply exploring each area where we land.

Below are the two options we are considering (neither of which include Phuket, so let me know if that needs to be reconsidered as well):

Option 1
Fly Hong Kong to Chiang Mai (4 nights for Songkran)
Fly to Krabi. Spend one night on island TBD (1 night)
Transfer to Ritz-Carlton, Phulay Bay (4 nights)
Fly from Krabi to Ko Samui (3 nights)
Fly to Bangkok (2 nights)
Fly to Hong Kong for 1 week

Option 2
Fly Hong Kong to Chiang Mai (5 nights for Songkran)
Fly to Krabi (4 nights in island TBD. Ko Lanta?)
Transfer to Ritz-Carlton, Phulay Bay (4 nights)
Fly from Krabi to Bangkok (2 nights)
Fly to Hong Kong for 1 week

I am sure I will have more questions, but any help you give will allow me to go ahead and book my intra-country flights. thank you so much!
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 01:25 PM

I would add more time to Bangkok! Two nights is not enough in that amazing city, IMO. It's my favorite city. I know other fodorites feel the same way about Bangkok. Stay in a fabulous hotel (maybe the Peninsula or Oriental, both riverside) and enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, touch... (silk)...(massage)...etc
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 01:28 PM

You are spending a goodly amount of time at the beach, with option 1, in 3 different places. I think it rarely makes sense to fly from the Phuket/Krabi/KoLanta/Khoa Lak area to Koh Samui. You will have much nicer scenery on the Andaman Sea side than you will in the Gulf of Thailand. You have a mere two nights in Bangkok - just one day. I'd recommend Option 2, but moving 1 or 2 of your Chiang Mai nights to Bangkok.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 03:42 PM

I like the 2nd one, I would need more time in bkk--- take 2 days from CM
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

wow....ok, all great opinions! Thank you! @Kathie that is exactly the info I needed as far as Gulf of Thailand vs. Andaman...I agree, but all I have to go on are photos and internet research so far...it is hard to tell and I wanted to make sure, and it is so nice to have a personal opinion.

As far as C.M. is concerned, we don't plan to stay in the city that entire time, rather maybe 2 nights and then the rest in a nearby smaller village maybe? basically using CM as a base to explore. I really love to hike and be in the mountains and plan to spend a full day at the Elephant Nature Park......given that, should I still shave time?

and @simpsonc510...what are your favorite things to do in BKK? a fab hotel is def on the list! any food tours or tours of the city that you recommend?

I am jealous of all the west coaster's to have asia so much closer to their backyard!! I am already planning trip, 2, 3...15 and I haven't even been yet just a short 29 hour flight via HK and we will be there....
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

@simpsonc510.....just clicked on your profile and saw the other forum topics that I will read up on regarding BKK...you and Kathie are a wealth of info, thank you!
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 06:00 PM

The Elephant Nature Park is a great idea. Even with going outside of CM, I'd still cut at least a day off and you could cut two days, IMO without losing what you want to do in CM. "a nearby smaller village" - are you thinking of driving the Mae Hong Son Loop? Or do you have something else in mind?
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, I have no idea! haha. I guess I have these visions of either renting a car or bike and going exploring..I read that it could be cool to hire a tour to go jungle trekking? sounded super fun to me, but I don't want anything disney-esque as far as staged hill tribe interactions.

work has been so crazy that I am WAY behind on travel research. Plus I am heading to Greece with family in June and having to devote a lot of time to that planning too. first-world problems Now I will have to look up the Mae Hong Son Loop!
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, looks like the loop really needs 6 - 10 days to do it justice with slow roads etc. But saw this suggestion to get a taste: Chiang Mai to Pai, to Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang Mae and back to Chiang Mai. what did you think of the experience?
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Revised? Better island than Ko Lanta to consider?

Option 3
Saturday, April 11 Leave Jacksonville
Sunday, April 12 Arrive HKK at 8 pm. Overnight
Monday, April 13 Fly to Chiang Mai. Arrive 12:30 pm
Tuesday, April 14 Chiang Mai
Wednesday, April 15 Chiang Mai
Thursday, April 16 Chiang Mai
Friday, April 17 Fly to Krabi/Ko Lanta (AirAsia $115pp)
Saturday, April 18 Ko Lanta
Sunday, April 19 Ko Lanta
Monday, April 20 RC, Phulay Bay
Tuesday, April 21 RC, Phulay Bay
Wednesday, April 22 RC, Phulay Bay
Thursday, April 23 Fly from Krabi to BKK (AirAsia $36.44pp)
Friday, April 24 Bangkok
Saturday, April 25 Bangkok
Sunday, April 26 Bangkok
Monday, April 27 Fly from BKK to HKK (AirAsia $109pp)