Khao Lak - car rental?

Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Khao Lak - car rental?

We are staying at JW Marriott after reading about it on this forum. Thanks for that! Do you recommend having a rental car (from Phuket airport, where we land) or get a pick=up from the hotel? Are there great things to see that we will miss if we don't have a car?
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM

i always rent in advance from pure car rental in phuket who deliver car to the airport for us. google them.

we are going to jw on monday, when will you be there??

we like to go into KL for dinner some nights so a car is handy. there are a few things to explore in the area too.

car rental or taxi offset each other. i prefer flexibility of a car.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we arrive tomorrow (Sunday) and are there until Friday
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:09 AM

There is a Budget Rental office at the Smile Restaurant in Bang La On, Khao Lak's main township and the first you pass through as you drop down the hillside on the way to the JWM. As well as local trips, Khao Sok National Park is just an hour to the north with the fabulous Cheow Lan Lake just beyond that. Both very straightforward to drive to. To the south, again just over an hour, is Phang Nga Bay where you can book a private longtail boat trip put into the Bay with an optional sea canoe trip into the caves and mangroves and visit to the nearby Monkey Temple before returning to KL. Once off Phuket driving is very straightforward and gives you greater access and flexibility. Just remember you need an International Driving Permit to drive legally in Thailand.Even though you will probably not be asked for it by the hirer. So if you don't have one now it will be too late as they have to be obtained in your own country before you leave.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:22 AM

i will be a very large man, age 68, traveling with my wife and another lady who is very tall. stop us and identify yourself as a fodorite please.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

will do!