Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

JustReturned from 3 weeks in India - Any Questions?

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just returned from three weeks in India. My first trip and I loved it.

We went to Delhi, Varanasi, Cochin (did the houseboat tour), Jodhpur, and Jaiselmer.

Any questions?

Vanny
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:13 AM

Hi. Vanny.

I see you were in Varanasi. I plan to go next month. I am wondering if you took a boat tour on the river, and if you did how much did it cost?. Our hotel is telling us that a boat tour for 2 people is 500 INR for each hour. That seems expensive to me. If you have any info on travel logistics, costs for transfers to/from airport, tours, etc. I'd appreciate hearing from you. Unfortunately, I'll be there for only 1 night.

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Yes, I have questions. I'm going to Delhi SOON. Please share your exeperience.

Food, hotel, dress code, weather. How was food? How were the people? Did Caucasion tourists get accosted?

Any tips for traveling to Agra/Jaipur?

What types of immunications did you get?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:07 AM

do you have a trip report??? which hotels did you stay at and need to know tour operator (if any). which was the highlight of your trip??? we will be doing a similar trip for our honeymoon so your advice will be helpful!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:15 AM

Vanny, I will be in Delhi next week. How hot was it when you were there last week?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:45 AM

Its hot now! Mid to high 90's.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:39 AM

I'm interested in your trip to Cochin and on the houseboat. I am staying on a houseboat for 2 nights in a few weeks time. What is good to see and do whilst on the boat - intersting stops etc. Thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:48 PM

Bonsai,
If you feel comfortable doing it, you can negotiate a boat trip right at the ghats. We took both a sunrise and sunset boat trip up the Ganges for about 200 rupees each time, if I remember correctly. We originally negotiated it for much less, but the boat owner was so helpful, we ended up giving him much more than we originally planned. Try to look for one that speaks a bit of English so he can explain things to you.

I worked with a travel agent that completely handled the airport stuff so I can't help you there. But, in general, the Varanasi airport is tiny and not very well organized. In fact, it was chaotic while we were there. So be prepared.

What hotel are you staying at? We stayed at the Palace on Ganges. While it is anything but a palace, it is clean and the staff are very helpful. The best part is that it is right on the ghats so it is only a few steps to where the boats are. Also, there is a nice little book shop next door that posted the names of some interesting looking local guides. And, there is a nice restaurant, I think it is called something like Haifa, just down the road that is safe for non-Indians to eat at.

Friends of ours asked their boatman if he knew of a guide to lead them through the labryinth of Old Varanasi. He found someone for them and they had a wonderful time.

Varansi is an incredible experience and I can't wait to return there. Be sure to put lots of mosquito repellent on before you go on the Ganges! I hope you have a truly enjoyable visit.

Vanny
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM

Vanny - I will be staying at the Palace on Ganges in October this year and you are the only person I have found who has personal experience of the hotel. Is it suitable for a female travelling alone, would you recommend it - I know you said it is clean/staff are helpful but does it have anything else to recommend it. My tour agent seems very keen on the hotel - and has recommended it over the Taj. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:12 PM

I met a lady last month in Delhi who recommended the Palace. I think it was also the location that she liked and I guess she just felt comfortable.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:36 PM

Gee, I wonder if vanny will actually come back to this site and answer all these questions...
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Obenr,
For an answer to these questions, please email me at [email protected]

Hope I can help.

Vanny
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Kittycatangel,

Delhi: Good place to eat - Karims - in Old Delhi.

Dress: No shorts. Cover up. However, short sleeves are acceptable. I also found that once I had found a suitable "Punjabi Suit" it became easier to bargain the services we needed like rickshaw drivers in Old Delhi.

To answer another of your questions, as far as we found, tourists are accousted only by beggars who are very persistent. It is a difficult situation, you are followed by very underweight mothers with very underweight babies and they only want what to us in the West is minimal - yet, it is not prudent to give it. Word of your generosity seems to spread instantaneously and you are immediately swarmed by other beggars, and, as we found out the hard way, that can be very uncomfortable.

As for Agra, we did a day trip, travelling by the train. We enjoyed it. If you have any further questions about Agra, let me know.

India is not an easy visit. However, we have found it to be so rewarding that we cancelled our next trip to Hawaii - we can't wait toget back to India!

Please let me know how your trip went when you return. In the meantime, ifyou have further questions, let me know.

Vanny
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Anna_h:

The houseboat tour originated from the resort Kumarakon (sp?). Anyway, it was an experience I wouldn't have missed, but wouldn't repeat. I would think, one night is enough. The food for us was just pass - able. However, friends of ours did the same houseboat tour and they had fabulous meals served on banana leaves and can't understnd our reserve. So take