Malaysia Travel Question

Search

Malaysia Travel Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaysia Travel Question

Hi, My wife and I are spending a month in Malaysia looking at birds. One week of that will be in the Perhentians. I'd like to travel from place to place on the peninsula by (long distance)taxi. Support the locals and learn along the way. Anyone have any thoughts on taxis? Also, a daily rate? Doing this keeps me in one place for a while. Better to learn the local forests and all their inhabitants, and better for my marriage. Thanks,Chris
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:21 AM

Well, it sounds bit of unusual traveling in the Peninsula by taxi, as it may cost quite a lot. For instance, taxi fare from Kuala Lumpur to Penang (approx. 330km) may be around US$120 per journey. Ironically, Airasia airline ticket to the same destination is only somewhere around US$15!
Since highways are main connections between cities, the best way is to travel by long distance buses, if you feel of getting a luxurious one, go for super VIP coaches. They stop at stations where local taxis are always available. Taxis offer affordable rates locally in towns, cities and some outskirts but not out over state borders.
If you are adventurous enough, you can think of hiring a car, knowing that rental is quite reasonable in Malaysia.
Try out east Malaysia instead if you like forests. They are even more authentic and untouched!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Hi, I don't think that's a good idea by cabs, in terms of Malaysian standards they are expensive. Why don't you check out flights? Malaysia is doing cheap flights now, they are called AirAsia. You can use these flights, and get buses. Many Malaysians speak fluent English, so it won't be much of a problem. Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Thanks for the info. Ends up we are going to Sabah for a week, and since I posted my inquiry, I've discovered AirAsia. Still might taxi a bit, but my easily car-sick wife likes the idea of flying better. Thanks again, Chris
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:13 AM

I agree with the notion about NOT taking a taxi for long distances. They are expensive and some do not travel via meters ( if not all!) AirAsia is your best bet. Before you get in a cab, make sure you have negotiated a price.