Just back- KL,Penang &Borneo

Apr 13th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Just back- KL,Penang &Borneo

Hi,
We have just got back from a brilliant month long trip .Kuala lumpur- our 2nd visit,once again we stayed at the the very nice shangri-la hotel. Had a room on the 19th floor looking out at the petronas twin towers[what a sight!!].Visited Frim [the forest research institute of malaysia],which is approx 10mins outside of kl. Good jungle walks ,which lead up to the canopy walk,scary!!!but fun.
Went to Batu caves,worth seeing once,but not overly exciting,lot's of monkeys around. Went to the bird park,really nice,loved the baby orangutan there.
Did lot's of shopping,really cheap shoes!!.Sat at the cafes around the petronas towers and fountains most evenings,very relaxing,and fun to people watch.
Moved onto Penang,stayed at the Bayview beach hotel, had a very nice room on the 7th floor,balcony faced the beautiful sunset every night.Loved all the little restaurants and the night market.The sea water quality was very poor.Walked up Penang hill,did alot of hiking around Penang forest,found some really nice isolated beaches.We liked Penang,but for us there was not enough to do during the day,we like quite adventurous activities.
Next stop Borneo,this turned out to be our favourite hol destination we have ever been to [& we are fairly well travelled].We stayed in Kota kinabalu,at the very very nice tanjung aru resort.Had a huge room ,on the top floor ,overlooking the 5 islands,oh and another wonderful sunset . We went to all five islands,excellant snorkling at manutik,saw big[4ft]moniter lizards.Highlight of our trip was the mount kinabalu climb,very hard work,from the timphon gate to the rest house took us 2hours 25 mins, we stayed in very basic accomadation,and climbed to the summit at 3am.It was a very clear night,and the sunrise was amazing,it was very cold though.Coming back down was very hard on the knees,and we ached for a couple of days,but it was well worth it.
We went on a river trip ,and saw some probicious monkeys,also saw the fire flys,,and 1in ants!!!.Got a taxi into KK town most nights,found some really good eating places,along the waterfront,the sunrise restaurant by the Hyatt hotel,and several of the hawker cafes at the bottom of the centrepoint shopping centre.The weather was great,hot and sunny everyday,very liitle rain[late at night] ,and hardly any mossies about.Everyone was very friendly,and we had a really fantastic time.
If anyone would like any more info please e-mail me
sue
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Hi Sue, We are planning on going in July, have been trying to get info but not too many replies. We are tossing up between Tanjung Aru and Rasa Ria, did you get to visit Rasa Ria? Did you ask for a special room at Tanjung Aru, or was it just luck of the draw? Did you take the train ride? Which island did you like best and did you organise the trips yourself from the pier? Anything else you can tell me would be just great! We can't wait to go. Went to Sarawak and few years back, that was a really nice place - at that time hardly any tourists!!! Thanks in advance.
Apr 15th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Yes we did go to the Rasa ria ,for a day ,we visited the orangutan nature reserve there,it is really good. The Rasa ria looks very similar to the tanjung aru, the beach is beautiful,but for us the hotel,is far too isolated,we liked to be able to get a taxi ,and be in town in 5 mins.Also we loved the islands,[the hotel does actually have a small beach itself]we got the boat from the hotel pier[it is run by a company called"beach bums"].Our fav island was manutik,very quiet,and good snorkling .We booked a seaview room at tanjung aru,and i e-mailed the hotel,asking for a room on a high floor,so we were very lucky,and got just what we requested.We are hoping to return to Borneo next year,and are considering Sarawak,where did you stay???,are there plenty of things to do??,hope you can help,
sue
Apr 16th, 2004, 01:41 AM

Hi Sue, thanks for replying. I have read that there is an old wing and a newer wing at Tanjung, is this correct and if so which would you recommend for the best view? Glad you included some eating suggestions - it all helps.
As for Sarawak we visited in July 1999 so things will have changed!! We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kuching for 4 days, at the time we thought it was a bit tired but I believe it has been renovated. We enjoyed walking along the riverfront as it has beautiful gardens and was well maintained.Up one end were wet markets which was very interesting also a street called "Little India". The musuems were really interesting as was a visit to the opposite side of the river.We visited The Wildlife Rehab Centre at Semenggoh and saw orangutangs, hornbills etc and went to a Longhouse Village. We did a day trek to Bako National Park which we organised through the Tourism Centre - that was a highlight! We then went to Holiday Inn Damai Lagoon for 6 days(don't get confused as there is also the Holiday Inn Damai Beach which was more for families). We had a restful time there, but it is 45 mins out of the city (a bit like Rasa Ria) but we went for a holiday! Sarawak Cultural Village is in walking distance, but go early as it gets very hot. Only 1 island to snorkel on and that wasn't fantastic. I guess not as much to do as Sabah but we filled in our time. Hope this helps.We come from Perth, Western Aust so it is quite a convenient destination for us. Maudie
Apr 16th, 2004, 02:01 AM

If you go to Sarawak in July, catch the Rainforest Music Festival held there each year. Check out their website:
http://www.rainforestmusic-borneo.com/
Apr 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM

We too are struggling with the Tajung vs. Rasa Ria decision. We arrive from KUL at 3AM on 6/27 a Sunday, need to leave for BKK that Wednesday, so DO want to make the best of our limited time.

A few questions. My take is that the RR has the better beach, the orangutans & nature walk, but not much else, while the Tajung is about location, shopping, and the Horizon Club? Do either hotels have beach cottages, or only high rise. Would LOVE to hear more (last time I was in Borneo was 1972 staying in a Sarawak longhouse all alone as part of a hitchhike around the world trip. This should be QUITE different!!!

STeve
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:52 AM

As far as I know they are both Hi-rise, the web sites for both are quite good, also do a search on www.asiahotels.com
I think you have hit the nail on the head with your summing up, Steve. We do not want to eat in the hotel every night and I have read the taxi fares double after 6pm from RR to KK and return. Looks like its the Tanjung for us. A fodorite is staying at RR now and will give her views when she returns of the 24th April.
Apr 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM

My two cents worth reminiscence - Have been to KK twice, staying at the Hyatt, which is great and right in KK. The fiirst time, we went as a starting point to see the oran-utans at Sandakan, on a day trip (flying). This was good, but we liked KK so much, we went back the second time. One of my favorite of all time days, was snorkelling around the islands - the most magnificent coloured fish and coral and plants. Sealice too, but it was so gorgeous, I didn't care! This was 1997, I think. I raved about it, so my brother went a couple of years later -- in the meantime, with the warming of the oceans in 1998, the coral had bleached, and he could not see what I was on about.So, Suziuno, I was glad to read that you enjoyed the snorkelling - hopefully, the reef is recovering.
Apr 17th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies,
just abit more info on the Tanjung aru, yes there are 2 wings,the kota kinabalu ,which is 7 floors high,[where we were],you have wonderful views of the sunset &the islands .The tanjung wing is lowrise,so not very good views,but it has been recently updated,and has better/newer furnishings than the kk wing. However we were perfectly happy with our room.It will be interesting reading our fellow foderites report when she returns,as she will have stayed at both the shangri-la properties.
sue