Jim Thompson-Bangkok

Search

Jim Thompson-Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Thompson-Bangkok

I was just reading on jimthompson.com that a new Jim Thompson home store has just opened in April on the first level of the Siam Paragon Shopping Center.It's huge. Also on the website is the sale schedule through December 17,2006. Things are looking fabulous. As I JUST moved to a new place(last weekend), I'm going Jim Thompson style which will blend brilliantly with all of my Asian furniture pieces. Can't wait to decorate and add a little more SE Asian spice to the blend. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM

I saw that today too. I was also interested to note that they have opened a restaurant called mythai in KL.

Congrats on your new abode, Guenmai! It will be lots of fun to decorate.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:03 AM

I was at the huge book publishers convention in DC this past weekend and I saw an unpublished "book" of 101 things to buy before you die. Jim Thompson silk was one of the 101 things! I was sooooo excited to see that. I have many purses and small cosmetic bags, mirror, etc.

Noted in said book that there is now a JT store somewhere in Atlanta!! Anyone know about this??? Where??? When did it open??? Just might be worth a trip in that direction to see what's available. It's an easy long weekend drive for me from Illinois.

Guenmai, congrats on the new place and thanks for the heads up on JT. I'm anxious to visit the new store at Siam Paragon. Hopefully August, but maybe Sept. Trip isn't planned yet... just in the HOPE TO stages right now.

Carol
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:55 AM

thanks for the info....we will look for this shop
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks for the congrats. I love my new apartment....Carol...without the"e". See, I remembered...Smiles. As for an Atlanta store...well...I don't know about that, but back in 2002 when I was doing the interior design for a friend's townhouse(I do interior design only for close friends...furniture selection/textiles etc...), I called the Jim Thompson headquarters in Atlanta and asked if the fabrics were available. I talked to the folks for a length of time. Well, they were NOT available to the general public... but only to (bonafide) interior designers and other folks in the trade.I kind of hope they don't become available to the public as I like being able to get things that everyone "doesn't" have.It would be quite scary to suddenly walk into friends' homes and see JT everywhere one day...you know how things get "overkill" franchised in the States...or God forbid end up at Target...! Smiles. Anyhow, since the fabrics weren't available to the general public, I suggested to my friend that we just fly to Singapore(Bangkok flights were sold out) and then fly up to Kuala Lumpur(45 minutes) and go to the JT store there and buy everything needed and pack it into the suitcases.It would be cheaper than paying an interior designer as much as $700. an hour in L.A. just to have access of the fabrics...which are probably WAY overpriced in the States anyway. So we got a cheap, $700. tax included...LA-Singapore-L.A. United Airline flight, checked into by beloved "Y" in Singapore(US$22.00 per person, per night) and then zipped up to KL where nearly everything was on sale and cheaper than in Singapore. She got everything she needed and then we zipped back to L.A. We did it all in a week during one April and had a great vacation,too! Happy Travels!
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Carol...I scheduled to be in Bangkok in August. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross. I'm to leave August 25th,Friday and head for Singapore and overnight then fly up to BK the next day and stay 7 nights at my rented apartment. Then back to Singapore...overnight...and back on to L.A. It'll be short. The winter Bangkok trip will be 3 weeks again, though. Happy Travels!
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Kathie...yes, the MyThai restaurant in KL sounds very interesting. On the winter trip, I'll have to possibly zip down to KL from BK and check it out. I'd really like to take the train down and fly back. Do you know how many hours the train ride is? I'm used to flying...except when I'm in Europe and train it more. Oh, when I was in KL,in 2002, the Jim Thompson store was in the process of moving to a much bigger space than what they had when I was there.I got there on the tail end of the old store. So, the new store is probably fabulous. Happy Travels!
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

guen...an interesting story about JT in usa for you...

a couple of years ago when our youngest daughter had a new house, karen helped her with some drape making etc....one fabric she choose for their bedroom was a brown patterned fabric....they purchased it at a lare fabric discount shop which is frequented by interior design folks...there was not name on the fabric....when we were in bkk last summer, we saw the same fabric in the JT store....so there is JT stuff around at decent prices and some may be unbranded...interesting..
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

guenmai
That would be great if we were in BK at the same time! I'll let you know what my schedule is, once it's planned.
Carol
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, Bob, I figured the fabric would show up someplace since whatever isn't used ends up at discount places. But as far as buying the non-mark-down fabric and the current selections, I think it's still not available to the public.I know of some discount places in L.A. county so I'll have to look for it. Since there's such traffic between L.A. and Bangkok, there's probably a lot of it right here under my nose. And with all of the entertainment industry people and tons of other wealthy people around, I'm sure their interior designers use it a lot. But, we also have Silk Trading Company, but it doesn't measure up to Jim as far as I'm concerned. When I went there, I mentioned that I would get the silk for throw pillows at Jim Thompson this summer and even their eyes and ears perked up. However, I will be getting my deep burgundy-ruby reddish,silk,window panels from Silk Trading. I'm going to set my livingroom on fire...so to speak.When my guests enter my livingroom, those curtains will have their full attention. Smiles. Carol...yeah check your schedule. I have to recheck mine. I can't remember if I come home on the 4th or 5th of September. You know, I think it might be the 4th. I'll check the ticket when I get home. Happy Travels!
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Guenmai-How cruel to mention guests to Bob. His Needham hovel has been without guests for many years. He looks forward to salespersons.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda...what a crack up you are. And Carol...I checked the ticket and I return home on Sept 04th. I leave on Aug 25th, a Friday, for Singapore. Since I'm using my frequent flyer miles,so I'm routed through Singapore. Happy Travels!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM

guenmai
I have always used my ff miles for upgrades from ORD to BKK, but just for the heck of it, I checked w/United for free first class tickets Monday to Monday (Aug 21 to Sept 4) but nothing available. Prices have been so high for upgradeable tickets I thought I'd try my luck. I'll keep you posted on my plans, should they come through.
Carol
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Great,Carol. Happy Travels!
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:24 AM

I was just at the Siam Paragon this afternoon and saw the JT store, but I did not stop in as I was already loaded down with bags of purchases from the JT outlet....wow, we loved the outlet...

Guenmai- Could you remind me where the British Colonial store you have mentioned is? I went to a few malls this afternoon but could not remember where the store is. Thanks
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM

if you mean british india, its in the central dept store at the chitlom bts stop. bring mucho bs.

thanks to guen, i spend most of my allowance there. lol.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Cruisinred...The British India clothing section is inside Central Department store at Chitlom skytrain station. They have a big selection there in both the men's department and the women's. However Singapore has the biggest selection as they have many free-standing stores that are gorgeous. Happy Travels!
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I should have read Kuranosuke's reply first. I'm still half asleep. Central Chitlom has a lot of discounts. I got as much as 25% off of my purchases. Happy Travels!