Duty-free Shopping: Deal or Dud?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's travel tip of the day warns travelers not to assume they'll save at duty-free shops.
http://www.fodors.com/news/all_trave...f_the_day.html

Curious...Do you shop at duty-free shops at the airport? What items do you think are worth seeking out?
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I haven't bought anything Duty-Free since I don't usually buy the types of items that are sold. When we were heading to Singapore though, where liquor taxes are high, we saw lots of people buying booze It seemed like a decent deal to avoid the taxes.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, I don't shop duty free.

I just don't buy that kind of thing (perfume, etc.). And as a dedicated light packer, the things I might use (booze) are not worth hauling around airports and planes.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
esm

I don't buy from duty-free shops. I often look at thing I buy/like at home and their prices are higher.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM

I used to buy booze and perfume on my way back to Canada; however the last few years the prices haven't been that good a deal to make it worthwhile.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
ron

I usually buy a bottle of Glengoyne 17 yo malt whisky when leaving Heathrow. Price is around £27 compared to $99.15 at the Vintages store at the LCBO in Ontario. Saving $45 is good.

I check the prices of the Shiseido men's skin care products, but I can get them for about the same price at Holt Renfrew.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Hello Katie, I never buy anything at the Duty-free shops either for the same reasons that suze stated.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I do carryon only, and do a bit of shopping in the duty free shops. I don't search things out, but if I have some euro leftover in my wallet, it is a fun way to kill the time before my flight and I usually find some different things.

Since I do carryon only, I cannot purchase wine/etc until this point due to security. So last summer I bought a few small bottles of champagne in the airport store to bring home from France.

I don't assume I am saving anything, but rather I see it as a way to kill time before my flight, lol!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I run out of perfume, which doesn't happen very often (we're talking years here), I buy at the last stop on my next trip. I used to buy single malt scotch for the guy who keeps an eye on my house and car, but not since taking liquids on board got difficult.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM

My husband & I buy special wine, port & whisky in Heathrow and Gatwick and feel they are worth the effort and cost if they aren't available in the US.

If I have forgotten something I will purchase (pashmina, makeup, etc) but they aren't a bargain, only a convenience.

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I'm not a big shopper in the duty free stores, but I almost always go in and look. Occasionally, I'll grab some cookies, crackers, sweets, etc. as a last minute item and take it to the office for everyone to enjoy. But, I don't think I've ever thought of it as a "bargain store".
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I'm also a no for the Duty Free shops because: 1) I don't buy liquor while travelling (it's heavy and takes up too much space in my bag) and 2) these places aren't cheap.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:19 AM

I buy liquor when I arrive back at Sydney. Big savings. The dutyfree is located just before immigration. There are good savings.

Make up and perfume are generally cheaper at Changi than in Sydney department stores. I also can buy travel compacts (eye shadow, mascara, blush etc) at dutyfree stores that aren't sold in department stores.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM

I usually pick up some kind of candy or chocolate to give for souvenirs or for myself. Stuff that I don't want to lug around on my trip and the food prices in duty free are not bad.
Usually I am using up my coins of whatever country I have been to.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Katie_H, Now Smart Travel Tips posts show up when I pull up The Lounge heading!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM

In my experience, Duty Free stores sell at list price less the local tax. Since we have local US stores that discount significantly, most of what I see is cheaper at home...why carry it? The only time I'll buy is when I find a single malt scotch which isn't sold in the US. Of course the other problem is how to get a bottle of liquor into your fully stuffed carry on luggage before you get on the connecting flight home. It's just not worth the effort.

Perfume, makeup and cameras are much cheaper in the US then I've found in any Duty Free shop.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM

I don't shop at duty-free, and I don't like to shop at the airports unless I have to. Snacks, drinks - that's about it! Sometimes that orange juice just calls your name, you know
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Between flights I browse around the duty free shops. I buy some makeup and perfume that is hard to get in the USA. It breaks up the monotony of waiting for the next flight and I think the prices for my items are good. Oh and maybe I buy some chocolate!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Be careful about buying alcohol if you have to transfer in the US. I was travelling from Paris to Boston and had to transfer in NYC. At JFK, they told all the people who bought wine etc. at the duty free shop that they were not allowed to carry that wine onto their next flight and had to now check it into their luggage. I was so relieved that I didn't have time to check out the wine before I had to board my flight!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM

I think the INBOUND Duty-Free shops are a great idea. We have two at Grantley Adams Int. Airport in Barbados and the savings are significant if you are shopping for non-Barbadian made products (ie: Scotch, Gin, Vodka).

If you are buying rum, then purchase in a local Barbados supermarket or direct from the makers (ie: Mount Gay or R.L. Seale).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -