Jet Lag- BKK-Bos

Dec 19th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Jet Lag- BKK-Bos

This deserves a separate post. It's something most of us have the "opportunity" to experience. I'll give my experiences and would like to hear from others, especially those with a "solution".

Travelling Boston to Bangkok, leaving 7:00 a.m. on Day 1 (getting up at 3:30 A.M.) and arriving BKK at 11:30 p.m. Day 2, in bed by 2:00 a.m., Day 3, I have very little problem with jet lag. I sleep about 4 hours total in the 34 hour gap between waking in Boston and sleeping in BKK. Sleep normalizes in a day or 2.

It's a whole different story. Waki in BKK at 3:00 a.m., Day 1, plane at 7:00 a.m., arrive Boston 6:30 p.m. Day 1. Sleep at 10:00 p.m., a 31 hour gap. Slept 4 hours during flight. For the first 4 days, I kept waking at 3:00 a.m.. This occurred even though I was going to sleep at 11:00 p.m.. Gradually, I woke later and later. It took a full two weeks for my sleep patterns to normalize. This was tue on our first two trips as well.

Thoughts?
Dec 19th, 2004, 11:15 AM
sandi

Gpanda - just like you, leaving from JFK, I had no problem with jetlag on the westbound flight (via NRT) once in BKK and the next morning leaving for Siem Reap. I did sleep on each leg going over, probably 6-8 hours total. Though once in S.E.Asia had some interrupted sleep, which I attribute to the heat/humidity regardless that our hotels, vehicles, indoors were all air conditioned, yet I functioned well during all our days in S.E.Asia.

But the return trip, left we dead to the living world for about a week to ten-days. I believe, if I had to return to work upon my return, I might have done better - but who knows. Yet, my travel partner, though feeling much like I was, got herself together much faster, as she did have to return to work.

For my body, I haven't yet been able to figure whether it's the flying east or west, as when flying to South Africa, I was fine flying west, but a basket-case on the return east. I'm perfectly fine flying either direction to Europe, never any jetlag.

I have an upcoming trip up to New Zealand with an 8+hour layover in SYD, and I think I'm going to ask the doctor for Provigil to get thru the first two days. There had been a thread regarding Provigil some months back. This drug is for those with narcolapsy (sp), but is prescribed off-label for jetlag and seems to do the job. Do a Google search to read about this, discuss with your personal physician; it might just be the answer.

Dec 19th, 2004, 11:31 AM

not to be a drug pusher, but Ambien is a life saver on those long trips (and for recovery)
Dec 19th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Gpanda: Solution = Business Class.
Never a problem either way because we get to sleep in Business Class on the legs between both BKK-NRT and NRT-ORD. Slight adjustment required on return going from vacation to work again but this is not time zone-related.
Dec 19th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

I'll check out the drugs on google, but generally I'm not a fan of being zonked out. I take Benedryl to avoid airborn germs, but this has very little drowsy effect. Craig, business class costs 5 times as much as coach when I've checked. Plus, I'm an incredibly light sleeper and even more plush accomodations may not help. We may try that next time, if we have enough FF miles.

Has anytbody tried staying up all night before the return trip, so that plane sleeping can be maximized?
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM

live outside of the city confines of cambridge and there are no side affects or effects of long flights of the type you describe....your situation must be city specific...
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Benedryl is just for relieving cold and allergy symptoms. It has a decongestant and an antihistamine (that is used as an anti-nausea drug for chemotherapy patients). I don't think it is doing you any good vs airborne germs. Am not a doctor, but I wouldn't take it except to relieve cold symptoms. If it dries out your sinuses then I think that makes you more susceptible to airborne germs.
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

By word of mouth, i've heard that Benedryl dries up your mucus membranes. I think the theory is that by so doing, one is less likely to have airborn germs be internalized. I do know it dries me up.

Rhkkmk, of course Needhamites don't experience jet lag. They're so far behind everything that it would be impossible for them to lag any farther. Last is last is last. Plus. how could anyone tell the difference between when Needhamites were awake and when they're asleep?
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM

you could check their larb salad intake??
Dec 19th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Gpanda I have almost the exact same experience you did. The trip to BKK wasnt bad at all, but that trip back to Kansas City was horrible! I woke up every day the same time you did! It was about a week and a half before it was back to somewhat normal! I am a light sleeper like you so sleeping on the plane even if i was in first class, is not an option! I did just buy these noise cancelling headphones for our trip in march to africa, so if i use those and an eye mask and a neck pillow, then take ambien, maybe i can sleep for a while! Like i said in your other post, it is terrible to next to my wife and watch her sleep for the ENTIRE flight! She says the plane just puts her to sleep??????? Anyway i still dont understand why i had jet lag at all, because i am still in my 20s and just a few years back would stay up all night getting ready for a test, then sleep all day when it was over????? anyway, i hope someone has some good tips! one last thing, i did just read that napping makes it worse!! and that is exactly what i did! the article said to just fight thru the tired feeling and only sleep at night when you are at your destination. Jeffrey
Dec 20th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Jeffrey-Please let us know how jet lag effects you on your Africa trip. Specifically, whether the effect is greater flying to Africa or on your return.
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM

I could never figure out why it's worse going East than West. Read all the articles, know about cirdadian rythms, but it still escapes me. I rarely have jet lag, which I attribute to having an irregular sleep cycle at home. I work Mon-Fri (11a-7p) AND bartend on Saturday nights, when I don't get home till 5a. Since my body is never on a regular sleep cycle, having it go all wonky due to the the vagaries of jet lag doesn't seem to bother me. That being said, there are times that I resort to Melatonin, a natural sleep aid which doesn't make me too groggy to wake up.
Dec 21st, 2004, 06:26 AM

Hubby and I always suffer from jetlag after BKK to ORD trip. I had to return home from BKK Christmas vacations twice and get up and go to work the next day! Actually, having to get up and go back to the routine was helpful in overcoming jetlag faster.

Now, I'm newly retired, came home from BKK in July and did not have to get up on a schedule. It took at least 10 days to get back to my regular sleeping and waking times. DH takes even longer to get regular again.

We were just in Europe for a few weeks and noticed that coming home (east to west) was easier.. flying during daytime... than adjusting to the time when you fly west to east during the night. I usually fly business class as I have oodles of ffmiles and like the leg room since I'm tall. For me, there is no such thing as a sound sleep in the air! I do not wish to take drugs to put me to sleep.
Dec 21st, 2004, 08:08 AM

I should point out that if you are lucky enough to fly in Business Class by using FF miles or having 5x the cost of an economy ticket to burn, your best bet for sleeping is in the upstairs cabin of a 747. With only 26 seats in a 2-2 configuration in Business Class upstairs, United Airlines flights for example are as quiet as they can be on a plane - much better than Business Class on their 777's or downstairs on their 747's.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:36 PM

"Upstairs" on United 747's to NRT is very quiet indeed. But I still find it a bit difficult to sleep very soundly though. I always hope for upstairs seating, and have lucked out a number of times. It's my first choice.