Silk Comforters/Duvets in Thailand??

Dec 18th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Silk Comforters/Duvets in Thailand??

Do you experts know if it's possible to purchase silk comforters in Thailand?
I'm getting togeter a shopping list for our upcoming trip. Any suggestions on shipping home items if needed. Do you pay duty when they arrrive (we're in Canada)?
Thanks and Happy Hoildays!
Dec 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Sorry - don't have an answer, just another qustion. What's a comforter? I'm in the UK and it's not a term we use here!
Dec 18th, 2004, 07:58 PM

in the uk its a duvet...
Dec 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM

i have just received a package (large) from the uk and there was not tax---contents were worth about $400-500 us dollars....also received some jewerly from thailand in the last 6 months via post and it was worth about the same---no duty requested...??????
canada may be different...we're in the usa
Dec 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM

The main Jim Thompson on Suriwong Rd may have them but am not sure. Central Chitlom is always a good bet - they have a very well stocked home floor and stuff keeps changing so worth a try.
Dec 19th, 2004, 03:49 AM

i have not seen any bedding at jim thompson.... emporium also must have them....ask you conceige???
Dec 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM

As tailors abound in Thailand, I would suggest you buy good Thai silk in a length and width suitable for a duvet cover, and have a tailor sew it to fit your bed. You should price Thai silk in the US (assume you live there) before you leave to make sure you are really getting a bargain in Thailand. The top floor of the main Jim Thompson shop in Bangkok has furnishing fabrics, and you should also be able to find goods by the yard at any tailor. YOu may also find ready made duvet covers at Jim Thompson and other shops. Other than Thai silk (which has a web and weft and is unlike smooth silk which you may be usedc to), you may not find bargains on "regular" silk in Thailand. Unless you really know your fabrics be careful, as you may be buying polyesther at silk prices. The real bargain in Thailand, IMO, is the cheap tailoring, you may be better off buying good quality silk in the US and bringing it with you to have made into duvet covers.
Dec 21st, 2004, 12:29 PM

Sorry, just saw the rest of your post. I do not have the website for Candian customs, but do a search and you should find it. Note that in the US (and most other countries) you have an exemption for a certain dollar amount of goods you bring back with you; however this only applies to good you BRING with you personally, goods you ship home are not exempt and will be subject to duty if they are dutiable. Books and most handicrafts are usually exempt, you need to review the Canandian customs website to see what would be expempt.

Shipping is quite expensive and I would only use it as a last resort and for large items. Bring an empty duffle bag in your suitcase and fill it with dirty laundry and use your suitcase for non-breakable gifts. You would be amazed at how much can be crammed into luggage. (You can lock your suitcases when departing on flights from Thailand, but in general don't pack anything valuable or that you would be hearsick over losing). Figure on shipping costs per item to be the same as the purchase price of the item, i.e. if it cost $20 to buy, it will cost $20 to ship. This really eats into those bargains. I have had both good and bad experiences with shipping overeases and in most cases would not recommend it. If you ship, pay by credit card so you can get a refund if it does not show up and always insure the item.

Find out the baggage allowance for you airline and flight class and go to the limit. I also find that asking to check a third piece free works when I say "well I could bring it on board but the bins will be crowded enough, wouldn't you prefer that I check it rather than taking up valuable carry on space?" Even paying excess baggage would usually be cheaper than shipping. From experience, a Thai spirit house of medium size and packed in a box will fit in an overhead bin.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everone for your help.
I realized I wasn't that clear on my silk duvet request. I saw the filler that is typically made of goose down made of silk batting. This is what I would like to purchase, as it's so very expensive here. Anyone??
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:53 AM

there is a bkk company called paya which used to be on sukhumvit road maybe around soi 39...they do very nice custom work...someone on this forum has said that they moved nearby... in june their sign was still on the front of the shop...its a small shop but they do nice work...they made us a fouton cover two years ago for only $80 including fabric....know your measurements before you go...
Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:10 AM

If you are looking for the actual goose down duvet itself, I am not sure you will find them to be any cheaper in Bangkok or Asia generally; at least that was my experience when buying duvets when I lived in Hong Kong. Plus, they take up a lot of room in a suitcase even when folded and they are heavy. (Other than maybe a twin size.)

You might do a web search for "bed and bath shopping Bangkok" or similar and see what comes up. Better department stores in Bangkok would be a possible place to look.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:34 AM

If I understand what you are looking for, you want a comforter where the filling is silk rather than goose down. I have seen them in the US, and yes, they are expensive. I remember seeing them in Hong Kong, though they probably weren't any cheaper than in the US/Canada. I don't remember seeing them in Bangkok, but they may be available.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Kathie you win the prize!!!
You understood my poorly worded request.
What I should have said is: A silk filler( batting)for a duvet is what I'm looking for, it doesn't even have to have a cover it's the filler made of pure silk not goose down that i'm looking for.
Congrats Kathie!