Search

Japan Travelogue & Photo Gallery

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Travelogue & Photo Gallery

Hi everyone,

I've just returned not long ago from a two week trip to Japan. We covered many places using the JR pass and the Shinkansen was an absolute joy to travel on. The towns we visited included Nikko, Tokyo, Hakone, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto, Himeji, Hiroshima and Miyajima.

If you are interested, please drop by and have a look at my travelogue and photo gallery website :

http://www.employees.org/~senhwei/japan/travelogue/

regards,

senhwei
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Thanks! That is almost exactly the trip we hope to take this fall. Any suggestions on places to stay in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto or Miyajima? Did you do Hiroshima/Miyajima as a day trip from Kyoto or did you stay over? Did you do Hakone as a day trip from Tokyo or stay over? How were the logistics travelling around with luggage, especially to Hakone?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Hi, Senhwei-

Thank you so much for posting the link to your travelogue... What breath-taking photos!

What kind of digital camera do you use? I currently use a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and am fruit for new cameras...
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

jaydreb5 - We stayed overnight in Miyajima and I highly recommend that. We stayed in a really cost Japanese inn called Mimoji-so which was nestled in the middle of the forest. It's not a fancy place, but the surrounds are very nice.

In Kyoto, we stayed at the Kyoto Garden Hotel. It's very conveniently located but the room we had was very small.

We only did a day trip to Hakone and we stayed with friends in Tokyo.

Depending on how much luggage you have, you may encounter logistic difficulties in the train stations. I only had one large backpack and a smaller bag. The baggage space in the Shinkansen (bullet train) is quite sufficient for the bags. There are also lockers in the train stations that you can use. But I would recommend that you travel as lightly as possible.

cheers,

senhwei
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Kasmir - Thanks for your very kind compliments ! I used a Sony F717 digital camera which has a 5 megapixel sensor with 5X optical zoom. The Sony camera is a very tolerant camera, especially with low light photos. I find that I could take much sharper low light photos with this camera than my previous digital camera - the Canon S100.

cheers,

senhwei
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved my Japan travelogue website to a new address :

http://www.christopher-chan.com/japan/travelogue/

regards,

senhwei
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
emd

Thanks for topping this. I am doing a similar trip in March 2005 w/my son and I am going to show him your pictures.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Senhwei, Really enjoyed the photographs and commentary in your travelogue. I just emailed the link to my son who was lucky enough to spend a school year in Japan. Thank you.
sam
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi emd and SamH,

Very happy that you found it useful ! I really enjoyed my trip to Japan more than a year ago. It was quite a memorable experience.

regards,

senhwei