Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Photography- weird places in Tokyo and Kyoto, beyond classic sightseeing

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, there!

I'll visit these 2 cities for a few days each, end of October, and I was wondering if anybody knows places worth seeing and/or taking photos of, beyond the classic spots of most tours and guidebooks (where I'll try to go anyway).

I can't really tell what exactly they could be, possibly everything, community situations, strange people, habits, weird places or bars, nature, architecture...

Could be from high class to deep bottom ...

I understand it is a wide subject, but this open way may bring up interesting issues which the newcomer (myself!) could not know to ask for.

Many thanks to all!
Nikos
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Nikos,
If you really want weird things to photograph don't look around but look down when you walk these cities at the sewer covers....a work of art

Aloha!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
kja

LOL, hawaiiantraveler - I had forgotten all about the sewer covers! And yes, many were quite artistic! Thanks for reminding me.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Really?
It's the easiest thing to spot, probably, so I'll check them very thoroughly!
thanks!
N.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM

I think you will find all the small details make great photos. A friend of mine likes to take photos of textures and she gets some great shots. I like to find situations where the modern and the traditional meet. Kimono clad women with Burberry bags, food vendors emailing by mobile, that sort of thing.

if you haven't been to Japan, I think you'll find no shortage of "unexpected" photo opportunities. make sure you have lmany Gbs of storage
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM

I agree with eigsuki comments re storgage. On a recent year long around the world trip we only spent 17 days in Japan and this accounted for 40% of the photos taken.

Tsjuki fish market for close ups of the weird fish and the workers filleting the tuna is worth the early morning start.

Rush hour on the subway and in the stations.
The main intersection in Shujuku station is amazing - so many brightly coloured direction signs. The food in Japan is invariably treated as a work of of art so I liked to photograh the final result and its preparation.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:00 AM

Do the Japanese get concerned about people taking photos indoors in public places? ie train stations, department stores, markets etc. Some of these places are good to capture everyday life, rather than the usual tourist photos, but I wouldn't want to get in trouble for doing it.