Search

Japan SIM / Phone Data Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan SIM / Phone Data Options

Hello,

My wife and I are about to travel to Japan from California and really would like to have access to a phone that can send texts and have data to use Google Maps. We've looked a bit into an AT&T international plan, but it seems very expensive for not too much data (not enough to actually use Google Maps as much as we expect to).

I've heard that unlocking our iPhone and using a Japan SIM is a decent option. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this and where to buy a SIM? We will arrive at Narita and I hear that buying a card there is possible, but there are many options there at varying prices.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 05:13 AM

While you can do that, it may be easier to rent a portable cellular hotspot so you can have data and send IMs (through iMessage) anytime you wish (and if you both have iphones then you can both be online at the same time). It's not terribly expensive. You have to reserve the hotspot online, then you pick it up either at the airport or have it sent to your first hotel in Japan. At the end of your trip, you drop it in a mailbox in a prepaid envelope. I did this when I was in Japan last year, and it worked like a charm. It cost me about $50 for a bit more than a week. Having access to Google maps in real time is a godsend in Japan if you have difficulty finding a place.

You can also rent a cell phone, which is probably easier than buying a new Sim card if your iphone isn't unlocked.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM

If you rent a portable wifi spot, then you can use data anytime you want, am I interpreting this correctly? It doesn't help you with phone calls tho, is that right? I have Verizon Wireless in the States and I suppose I could get a package that includes a limited number of phone calls in case I needed to call anyone.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 02:49 PM

Foreigners are not allowed to buy voice SIMs in Japan. You can rent them or buy a data SIM and use the various VOIP options.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 05:01 AM

If you have a portable data hotspot you can make and receive Skype calls, Facetime, or use any other internet calling service (of which there are now many). But it's true it won't help you make cell phone calls.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Agree. Best to rent a portable wifi device and you can be online for the entire trip even when walking around since it's a small device similar to a portable charger. Also if you have Whatsapp you can make voice over Internet calls to anywhere in the world provided the recipient also has the Whatsapp application just by being on wifi and not needing to have any cellular service. Works like a charm. Used this combo extensively when travelling in Central Europe last year.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:33 AM

You might look at these sites:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html

http://www.ntt-bp.net/jcfw/en.html

http://wi2.co.jp/tjw/english.html
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! Doug, is there a certain site you recommend for renting online?
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 09:32 PM

We always use Global Advanced Communications. Reasonably priced, always reliable, delivered to your hotel, prepaid envelope to send it back at the end of your trip (just hand it to the check out desk of your last hotel and they'll mail it for you). It's truly idiot-proof.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 12:41 AM

I've booked rentafone wifi hotspot for our trip in a couple of weeks, used them on both previous trips and was happy with the service and price.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 03:10 AM

I have a Vodaphone pocket wifi that we got in Australia in October. We bought a new SIM card and switched it out when we arrived in New Zealand. I'm assuming I can do the same in Japan with A SoftBank SIM card, can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 05:04 AM

I rented from Japan Wireless. They sent me the hotspot to my hotel. I don't recall if they were the cheapest provider, but I waited too long to make my reservation, and I had difficulty finding someone with units the week I was there (it was at the end of cherry blossom season last year). The service was good. I did have an issue with my first unit (it wouldn't recharge), and they had to replace it on my second day in Japan, but they sent it by messenger, and it was there the afternoon after I called. It was pretty seamless service otherwise, and I'd use them again.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Before I went on contract I would just Japan Wireless, but Global Advanced also rates highly. You get good coverage and data with the ability to connect 10 devices (depending on the plan). Always had great service. Order before arriving (airport rentals are much more expensive).
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 11:08 AM

ttt for Merri
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quick update, our mobile WiFi was not at our hotel at arrival this time and the initial call was less than satisfactory, a "we are out at the moment so won't be able to look into this until we are back" with no time given on when that would be! In the end they sorted it within a few hours but it does make me realise that one man band providers are less able to deal with mishaps.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 04:19 AM

Glad to hear they got it sorted for you, Kavey.

Just to add one more option for anyone thinking about getting a pocket wifi in the future, we use eConnect when we were in Japan a couple of weeks ago. It was easy to set up, worked well, and saved our bacon on a couple of occasions.

Here's the link:

https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/wifi/4g
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:47 PM

I recently rented a hotspot thru rentafone and it worked great in the few hotel rooms that didn't have wifi or had weak wifi (ryokan) and when we sat down somewhere (like in the cafe at the Open Air Sculpture Museum in Hakone) but was not very good when we were walking around cities. Don't know if that is typical or not. We didn't really try it on trains. I didn't try to reserve until about 5 days before we were leaving on April 7, which is busy Sakura season so the first few places I tried had nothing available -- book well ahead if you can. I also had a package from Verizon wireless so I could have phone calls (we had a few family issues going on in the States). That gave us a minimum amount of data -- I turned it on a few times when we were walking around and I needed directions. Note that if you line up directions when you're on data and then turn off data, you can still follow those directions, complete with the moving blue dot. But you can't change directions unless you turn it back on. Actually, I found the Japanese people so helpful that I usually just relied on them for help! They were usually at my side before I could even get a furrow in my brow.
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 02:02 AM

Hoping to get a response to earlier inquiry about SIM card only. I have a Vodaphone pocket wifi from trip to Australia. Can I buy a SIM card upon arrival at Narita or near the Tokyo Station area?
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 01:08 PM

I have used:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

The sim-cards have always been waiting for me at the hotel when I arrive. Worked very well on my iPad with google maps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 11:20 PM

We used CDJapan Rental which was great.

1. They have very simple pickup and return. You can pick it up at airport, hotels, Airbnb and so on with it fully charged. And it always arrives the day before your rental start day to make sure that you have no problem to receive it. When you leave Japan, you just need to post it the to the red mailbox which can be see in anywhere in Japan.

2. limited usage, smooth and convenient.

3. start day can be changed if your itinerary has any change. You can also extend your rental period by yourself on their website.

4. Besides, the price is very reasonable.(what impressed me most is their fast speed in replying emails when you have any questions

You can compare their price and quality with items on other sites but I think CDJapan rental will be a good choice.(I am one of the repeaters)
Here are the reviews from their customers and hope this will help you.
http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/contents...CustomerReview