mobile phones in japan

Search

mobile phones in japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mobile phones in japan

anyone got any up to date information on how well a uk mobile works in japan. travel guides advise they dont, yet orange tell me thre is an excellent service throughout the country! what is the truth?? should I hire a mobile??
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM

There is no GSM service in Japan. There is 3G, on the same frequencies as Europe. So if you have a UK 3G phone, it'll work if your service provider has a roaming arrangement in Japan.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

hey, thats great information, many thanks!!I was on the verge of hiring just in case! i shant worry now, as I have a 3 g phone!!

thanks for your help!!
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Remember roaming charges for an Orange sim in Japan are very high - like £1.50 a min to call UK and £1 a min to receive (I know because I have one and am a frequent visitor to Japan). I suggest you get a global sim from operators like http://www.travelsim.co.uk/ and put into an unlocked 3G phone. Their call out charge is reasonable at around 40p a min and they charge nothing to receive calls (callers have to dial an Isle of Man number, which are often included in bundled talktime, and definitely with Orange). I usually carry a global sim in one phone and rent a Japanese sim to put into another phone, purely to receive calls made within Japan (e.g. business contacts).
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Still carry your Orange sim and phone, as it's useful for receiving text messages (free). Even texting to UK mobiles is quite reasonable at around 35p each.