Japan Rail Pass echange

Search

Japan Rail Pass echange

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Rail Pass echange

Continuing from our discussion on kaythl's thread ...

BigFeat, aren't you taking a limo bus from Narita to Roppongi? To the ANA hotel in Roppongi and then taxi to the Mansions? If that is the case, then you don't need to do the exchange at the Narita airport JR office.
You can do the exchange at the major JR stations in Tokyo, with Shinjuku, Shinagawa, and Tokyo stations being the ones most convenient to where you are staying (I think). The list of stations where you can make the exchange is on the JR website, this page:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en07.html
Note that the starting hours listed for most of those stations is not until 10AM or even later.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM

Whoah... I was under the impression that I had to exchange it at Narita. Or at least it was best advised that I did. I will check into those locations. Being that I'm flying in late into Narita I was concerned about my hotel check-in time.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
mjs

mrwunrfl is correct. If you are not using the train from Narita you should activate your pass when you start to use the trains in Tokyo. Shinagawa station is smaller than Tokyo and Shinjiku and the office is easy to find to exchange your voucher.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Another point is that the day that you do the exchange and get your pass does not have to be the date that it is activated. That is, you can go to the JR office on Saturday and show your passport with the "temporary visitor" stamp and give them the exchange order. You can tell them to activate the pass that day if you plan on using JR and the pass that day. Or you can do the exchange on one day and get the pass, but have it "activated" for a future day.

I will be arriving at Narita airport on Thursday and will have a couple of hours before my connecting flight to Sapporo. I probably won't do the exchange at Narita, just fly on to New Chitose Airport (i.e. the Sapporo airport) and do the exchange at the JR station there. Good thing we got onto this subject because it made me check the office hours at the Sapporo airport (I arrive at 8PM and office is open until 10PM, while the office at Sapporo station closes at 7PM).
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

One more thing: if you have a 7-day JR Pass and it is activated for Monday, then it is good through Sunday (the 7th day) and is no good as of the following Monday.