Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yangtzee River Cruise - Time to go now or later okay?

May 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello to all you Yangtzee River cruisers. We're thinking of a China trip - probably fall of '05. Is there a site to find out if we should rush the trip in for this fall (because the river is filling up too fast)? Sure seems like it's on most people's schedules to do a couple days on a river cruise, but I'm wondering if we're waiting too long. Any advice? Thanks.
May 14th, 2004, 06:57 PM

A search using the box at the top of the page for 'Yangtze' or 'Yangzi' will produce plenty of earlier threads on this, including:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34453608

and

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34476747

'Should we rush the trip in for this fall (because the river is filling up too fast)?' No, you shouldn't bother with the cruise at all, which has little to do with China and everything to do with gulling tourists; and that was as true ten years ago as today, when if anything it's slightly improved. You're about 80 years too late for the experience which is being marketed to you.

Descriptions of the cruise as 'breathtaking' must be referring to the pollution. There's plenty of far more striking and less polluted scenery in China, full of real Chinese and welcoming ethnic minorities rather than tourists complaining about the buffet and fretting about how much to tip on top of the extortionate sums they've already paid.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
May 15th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Peter, for your thread recommendations. I can see now that I was a bit prematuare in my posting, not having done my homework--shame on me!! But reading through everyone's comments, I can see where we do get caught up in the "do it now or never" hype. I think we'll just stay with our plans for '05 and think seriously about skipping the cruise. I was under the mistaken impression there would be no more cruises after the "filling up", but that is obviously a false rumor.

Thank you.
May 15th, 2004, 06:22 AM

There will be cruises - may be even more ships - after the dam is completed.

You can see that Peter and I totally disagree whether it is worth a trip. I cannot understand why he's so against it, but here's my guess. If you read most of the posts that Peter makes, he is quite insistent of travelling like the locals do, and will not let either Chinese or foreign tour operators make money out of him. That's fine, and a great way to travel. However, on the Yangtze, your choice are basically the luxury cruises, or a very basic ferry that locals take. I have not done the ferries for local people, so I don't know about the details. But the luxury cruises are pretty relaxing, most with decent Western accomodations, and of course HIGH PROFIT MARGINS for the operators.

I think because of the last part, Peter is so against it. As for the scenery, I think it's amazing. And I really haven't heard of many people who went and said otherwise. They may complain about some detail of the ship or the price, but no one say it's not worth going. If it's so "ordinary", you'd think the really high-end US tour companies will not take people there.

Many tourists stay in 4* or 5* hotels run by foreign companies in China. That really "has little to do with China and everything to do with gulling tourists" anyways, quoting from Peter. And it's the same thing all over the world. That really is NOT a reason to skip the cruise.
May 15th, 2004, 06:31 AM

BTW, I was about to let this slide, and let you just read the comments on the old threads. Unfortunately, Peter has to make a remark about the description of "breathtaking" that I used. So, I have to say something about that.

So, you get both sides of the story. And final words I will make on this thread:

- No, no need to rush there this year. Next year, or later is fine.

- Yes, you should go there on your China trip. There are lots of see in China, but if your itinerary is long enough - over two weeks - then putting the a 3-4 day Yangtze cruise in the middle is a great way to relax and recharge for the second half of the trip.
May 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM

If you are expecting a clear blue river, forget it. The Yangtze is brown and highly polluted. I did a cruise in Sept 2003. The temps were in the low 30's and it was very humid and because of the 'land' pollution, the vista was very 'foggy'. Also, (a minor thing) it took more than 3 hours to pass through the '5 step lock' at the dam. I liked the days that I spent on the Yangtze but I would not do it again.
May 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM

Just got back from the Yantze River cruise on the Victoria Rose.. China is changing and I would think you should go before 2009 when the water level will cover most of the beautiful gorges. I think Peter must have missed something. I loved it and would recommend it highly.