Japan itinerary helpfeedback

Jun 1st, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Japan itinerary helpfeedback

hi fellow travellers. travelling for 10 in Japan after doing a lot of research? we have a few questions and wouldl love some feedback we arrive Tokyo July 3-5th then on to Mt. Fujii, my sisters want to climb at night arriving at the summit sunrise. When they get to the bottom where should we stay that day Hakone? July 8 Kyoto-10th including day trip to Nara and maybe Hiroshima. July 12 Takayama at Ryokan Honfin Hiranoya. We will go to Nagoya to Sumo match on the 13th and then when it is over train to Tokyo spend the night and wander a bit in Am of 14th before our 5PM flight back to Toronto. Please comment.
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM

3 Tokyo
4 Tokyo
5 Tokyo
6 Fuji hut
7 Hakone
8 Kyoto
9 Kyoto
10 Kyoto
11 Nara
12 Takayama
13 Tokyo

Is this what you have in mind?

Spend a night in Nara as from July 1 there is light up and it's lovely.

You might leave out Takayama and add time in Kyoto in order to take one day for Hiroshima.

Jun 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM

I agree - skip Takayama and add Hiroshima.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM

You do not stay in Hakone to climb Mt Fuji.

I've never done this myself, but know some friends who have done Mt Fuji. You go to the 5th station the day before, stay overnight in the lodge (said to be VERY basic, no showers and VERY crowded, reservation necessary) on 7th or 8th station. You start out around 3-4am, get to the summit in time for sunrise. You should bring windbreaker and/or fleece as it gets quite chilly and a flashlight.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM

You can stay in Hakone after Fujisan but Gotemba or Kawaguchiko would be a lot closer and convenient.

Have you seen this?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

Aloha!
Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your imput, I have a few more questions, so you are saying the choice between Takayama and Hiroshima would be the later, even if we have a nice ryokan to stay at in Takayama and have heard it is an interesting typical village to stay in. When we are in the Hakone area has anyone been to Gordakana traditional Inn?
Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM

Can you provide a link to Gordakana...I find no reference to it using google.

Maybe you mean Gora Kadan? Gorgeous, a once in a lifetime experience. If you can afford it, do it. It is one of the top luxury ryokan in the country. In Hakone there are many options for all budgets...in fact, right now I am searching for the perfect place for us for one night between Kyoto and Tokyo as a driving break. There is a Hyatt in Gora, right near Gora Kadan, that looks very nice and got a favorable report from Hawaiiantraveler recently. And a plethora of other options. Hakone area is not near where you might climb Mt. Fuji though...it's actually quite a distance, but from Hakone you can view Fuji on a clear day.

About your itinerary...what I'm saying is that your time is very short, and you may get more out of your trip by having a couple of home bases...Tokyo and Kyoto. There is a huge amount of things and places to see in Kyoto...then add the surrounding areas...weeks, months worth. Your original itin had 3 days there, but 2 of those days on day trips, one to Hiroshima and one to Nara...no time for Kyoto really.

Don't misunderstand Takayama. It is a city, not at all a typical village. It's a small city, sure, but looks like and acts like a city. The old parts with black buildings and temples are interesting to walk around. It is heavily touristed, both by domestic and international visitors.

If you want village, the Gokayama area is lovely, but is easiest to access by car. Nearby Shirakawa-go is very nice too, though heavily touristed like Takayama so it lacks a real "villagey" atmosphere...instead it is a bit like a souvenir shopping center unless you stay a night and see it after the masses have let. But, with your short time you might spend it better by NOT changing locations often and doing day trips. It takes time and energy to change hotels and locations that you could better spend seeing places rather than transiting between them.

If you were to skip Hiroshima, Nara and Takayama, you might add in a night in Shirakawa-go, and from there you could take a bus to Nagoya for sumo.

Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Japan a few years back and we did Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima etc. Maybe you can find some useful info in my Japan trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures