January Honeymoon in Thailand

Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

January Honeymoon in Thailand

Hi All - I have read many of the threads on this site and found lots of great ideas/info ... thanks to all! Planning a 13 night honeymoon to Thailand for mid- to late January and have 8 nights still free to explore the beaches. I undertand that January is ideal for Phuket, what about Koh Samui? Is it worth spending 3 nights on Koh Samui and 5 on Phuket? Also, has anyone stayed at the Mangosteen Resort near Hai Narn? Thanks in advance!
Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:36 AM

It depends upon what you want from an island. If you want more secluded beaches and an island small enough that you can rent a motorcycle or jeep and drive all the way around in a day (easily), looking for nice empty beaches, then Samui is what you want. Phuket is larger, has more people and is more developed as far as towns and roads. If it were me, I might do Samui for a longer time that Phuket. If you do Phuket for maybe 4 days, be sure to take a day trip to Phi Phi Island and then rent a longtail boat and driver so you can go see Maya Beach (from the movie "The Beach") and some of the gorgeous landforms and quiet swimming coves in the area! It's absolutely beautiful there!
I've not stayed at Mangosteen Resort so cannot comment on that question.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:32 PM

Know Phuket well but not that resort. My tips for beaches would be Surin beach ( The Chedi ) if you want quiet, Kata and Karon if you want busier ( Karon beach resort hotel a bargain right on the beach, or Marina Cottage for more tropical feel ), Patong beach if you want nightlife and busy beach.

January is peak season for Phuket so you would have to book soon.

Phuket and Samui are different, somewhere quieter with good beaches would be Krabi area, Ao Nang/Railey beaches.
Jul 24th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments. I think we are going for a combination of serene relaxation and thriving excitement. So it sounds like Samui in January is OK, and it won't be a major rainy season then?
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi - this is the Kim half of KimandMarc. I just recently started doing the research on all these gorgeous resorts. Now I know what my fiance has been raving about all this time! He's done a great job sofar with our itinerary. With regards to Koh Samui, anyone have any reviews on the Zazen Bungalows Boutique Hotel? I'm kind of liking that one...
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:53 PM

Try this site as I know they have their own customer reviews and they probably have something on that resort, the rates are cheap too because they are local

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/

If you want top rank on Samui I don't think anything beats the Santiburi. if you want cheaper then the Peace resort at Bophut beach is great!
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:35 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand on vacation twice. A few years back we did Bangkok/Phuket and Koh Samui. In our opinion Samui was better than Phuket. But maybe it was because we had a nice bungalow right on the Chaweng beach (in the south end..Chaweng Noi?) and the beach was not crowded. So yes...I think that it is worth seeing Samui as well. If you want more info you can check out the 2 trip reports that I have posted on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions

Have a great trip to Thailand

regards
gard
Stavanger, Norway

Jul 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
CAJ

We went to Phuket last year after Bangkok and Chiang Mai and, really, if you are on Honeymoon there are much more romantic, beautiful and friendly places to go.

We spent 3 nts in Bangkok and 3 in Chiang Mai and spent the 7 nights in Phuket wishing we were back in either of those two places (and we stayed in Laguna Phuket outside of the main tourist area of Patong). We found that the people in Phuket were nowhere near as friendly as the other two places - definitely too much westernisation! If I had 8 nights to decide upon I would spend 3 or 4 in Chiang Mai (I know it's not the beach but if you can stretch your budget to the Regent Chiang Mai you will be overwhelmed....we were...)and the rest in Koh Samui or Krabi.

Have a lovely lovely time...