Jan. & Feb. tour Thailand & Vietnam

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan. & Feb. tour Thailand & Vietnam

First trip from Vancouver, Canada to Bangkok to Chaing Mai to Hanoi to Ho Chi Ming to Bangkok to Vancouver.
We would like to do the trip from Bangkok right around to Bangkok by land so as to see the countries. So would prefer daytime travel as opposed to nights.
All comments and advice would be appreciated. Mainly asking about the route we have chosen and if you see a better way to do it or are there any places to avoid for safety reasons.
We are 2 active healthy 71 year olds.
Warrsher.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 11:06 PM

You can do some research on Travelfish/ Lonely Planet for what appeals to you to make your own plan.
P/s: Feb 5th 2019 is the first day on Tet holiday in Vietnam.
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 10:52 PM

You haven’t really chosen a route as such, just a few cities. There are lots of ways you could do this but before going into any depth, you need to provide a little more information, namely:

1. How long have you got for the trip?
2. What time of year?

Both will have a huge influence on your trip.

To get from Thailand to Vietnam and back you have many options but basically you will have to go through either Laos or Cambodia or, if you have the time, one country on the way there and the other on the way back.

The route from Chiang Mai would involve crossing the border near Chiang Kong and either heading down to Luang Prabang by boat or directly to muang Xai by bus and crossing to Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam. It is many years since I travelled that route in the opposite direction but I do recall it being and extremely uncomfortable journey in clapped out buses! Maybe things have improved!

In terms of time, you could easily spend three months doing the trip at a leisurely pace. If you are intending to do it in a couple of weeks, I would think again.

Happy to help with more suggestions if you provide a little more info.
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou and sorry I should have mentioned we are planning on all of Jan. and Feb.2019.
Warrsher
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Two months for this trip means there is lots you can see and do. But you still won't be able to see everything. I'd suggest you start by listing your priorities. I notice you have only mentioned Thailand and VN in your route, but you will have to cross Laos and Cambodia as well. So, for instance, are the Temples of Angkor a priority? Pick up a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples. How about Laos? We loved Luang Prabang and regret that we couldn't get to the Plain of Jars.

Overland travel in this part of the world can be very slow, and can be pretty uncomfortable. I highly recommend the Lonely Planet guides and their travel board, Thorntree. for researching your route. Also, there are very cheap flights in this area, so there may be times when a short flight can make your plan better.
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Info

Thank u very much for the above info. I will search all of that and start with a list. And I do agree there may be some areas we are better to fly from one point to another.
warrsher
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 05:43 PM

You should create a checklist of what you want to see, then organize them into a schedule.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Making a list now and on part of it will be trip by either bus or train from Bangkok to Chaing Mai and would go approx. half way and visit a couple days part way then go on to Chaing Mai. Any suggestions for a stop over part way to just visit a local area would be appreciated.
Warrsher
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 12:06 PM

"... half way and visit a couple days part way then go on to Chaing Mai. Any suggestions for a stop over part way to just visit a local area would be appreciated."

///

Below is a map of Thailand. Sort of part way is Korat - Nakhon Ratchachasima. Not too far from this city is Phimai. Between Korat and Phimai is the Ban Prasat Archaeological site. In Phimai you have the Phimai Museum, the "Biggest Banyan Tree in Thailand," and Phimai Wat.
Nakorn Ratchasima (Korat) - Thailand For Visitors
Ban Prasat Nakhon Ratchasima Archaeological Site Thailand Korat Museum ? Isaan.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimai_Historical_Park
(Map.)
Map of Thailand

I used the bus from Bangkok Mochit Bus terminal to Korat. Cheap local bus in Korat takes you to Phimai. (Two bus terminals Korat. I used the newer # 2 bus station. But it was several years ago.)

As they say in Thailand - up to you!
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the info and we will stop there for a day or 2 and check on that.
Warrsher
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 03:47 AM

Have fun.

You probably already know but just a reminder. On any bus keep passport, money, jewelry and valuables on your person or within sight. (I do this for any bus I use anywhere in the world.) You don't need anyone walking off with your bag at in between stops.

** I worked in Phimai a couple times on an Earthwatch charity expedition.

Modern Day Indiana Jones Senior Volunteer Discover Origins of Man In Thailand

Good luck.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes I did know But like u I always remind anyone of the same thing as u say for anywhere in the world.
Thanks again.
Warrsher