Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia August 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 24 days to flying in and out of Bangkok. I don't plan on visiting this side of the world again so, against advice I'm visiting 3 countries in 3.5 weeks. The plan is as follows.
Bangkok-3 days
Khao Sok National Park- 3 days
Chiang Mai- 3 days Train there from Bangkok
Flight to Ha Noi- 3 days (Halong Bay)
DaNang- 2 days Hoi An biking tours
Nha Trang- 3 Bike tours and beach
Ho Chi Minh- 2 days
BUS to Siem Reap- 5 days
Fly out of Bangkok Aug 22.

First of all do you have advice on something I should skip or spend more time on.
Second, as of now, I'm traveling alone. Can you give me further advice about that. This is my first overseas adventure I'm planning alone and taking alone. Words of wisdom?
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM

A number of people here on the Asia forums have travelled
to S E Asia solo. I'm one of them (I have only done solo trips to Thailand, however). It is not difficult to do it alone. Do lots of reading here.

I'm sure there will be plenty of advice for you. Some will say you are travelling too much, spending too much time on planes/trains, etc. Only you know how you like to travel. I am someone who can visit three countries in Europe within a 10 to 14 day time period. It can be done! And we do it by car all the time. Twice a year.

Sounds like your trip is coming up pretty quickly. Good luck with your planning. We can also help out with hotel suggestions.

S E Asia is fantastic! You just might like it so much that this will NOT be your only trip to this region of the globe.

Carol
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! The more I read, the more I'm thinking of cutting down one location in Vietnam. Do you know about the train ride from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? I'm thinking Backpaker hotels are my best bet. I'm trying to travel as cheaply as possible. Only thing I might be willing to splurge on is a tour guide in Vietnam. Thanks for your help!
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM

If you want to cut a location from VN, I'd suggest either cutting HCMC or Nha Trang (or even both). Hanoi is worth more time than you have given it, since your three days there includes Halong Bay, which takes an overnight and three hours (at least) each way by road.

All of the places you are going in VN are well on the tourist track and there is no need for a guide. If you just want some company (you'll meet plenty of fellow travelers at guesthouses), you could always contact Hanoi Kids, an organization of students that will offer you a half day of guiding around Hanoi in exchange for you buying them lunch.

I've traveled to SE Asia alone. I find it easy to do. People are friendly and helpful and many people you have contact with speak English.

What question do you have about the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? Many people the train, but it's a long ride when the flight is an hour. Air Asia has cheap tickets.

SE Asia is fairly inexpensive. While you may choose backpacker guesthouses, you might also look as less expensive hotels. Take a look at www.asiarooms.com or for Thailand, www.sawasdee.com and see what some of the lower-priced accommodations look like.

I have to chuckle when i read your comment "I don't plan on visiting this side of the world again." Many people say that as they are planning their first trip to this part of the world, but then get hooked and return again and again.
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

=) Your probably right about visiting again. The only reason I'm so set on doing it now is because I'm living in Japan. Otherwise I may have stuck to the Western hemisphere. Tragedy, I know.
Thanks for the advice about Hanoi! The main reason I was going to the central cities in Vietnam is to make my way down toward HCMC to get to Seim Reap from there...

The train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is about 25USD and it's an opportunity to sleep (night train) or see the land in between. Thinking of flying from Chiang Mai to Hanoi because tickets are only $200.
Good call on the tour guide. If I stick to major-ish cities I don't think I should have too much trouble.
I will sleep in HCMC but only to continue onto Siem Reap.
I will cut Nha Trang out and spend more time in Hanoi and maybe Siem Reap.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:32 AM

Good list. i've never come to some destinations on the list so i can not suggest much for you. However, all Vietnam destinations are deserving to be visited. Wish you safe trip and wonderful moment.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:39 PM

For lodging, hostelworld.com is a really good booking site for a wide range of budget places. My daughter used it for 5 months in Asia, and we had a great little place in Bangkok throught them.