Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaiselmer

Any comments?
thnx
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM

Yes, you spelled it incorrectly. I heard its amazing, and I regret not having visited when I was in Rajasthan. I'm not sure if there is a nearby airport, so it may involve a lengthy bus ride.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:05 PM

From Frommer's

Getting There -- At press time, there were no flights to Jaisalmer, and the nearest airport is at Jodhpur (a 5 1/2-hr. drive away, about 2 hr. longer in a bus -- not recommended).
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:30 PM

Gorgeous city - prob the most amazing architecture you will see in Rajasthan, it could be a Wold Heritage City. Also, most stunning desert settings. What is the rest of your itinerary? BTW, I think it is JaisAlmer in case u plan to google it..
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM

Yes; go there. Take lots of film. It was my favourite city, not just in Rajasthan, but in all India. Stay at the Shahi Palace -- it is MUCH better than you might think from the cheap room prices, and if you ask for a room at the front, with a view of the Fort, you will not be sorry. Go on one of Shahi Palace's camel safaris; they cost a bit more than the ones you can buy from any hotel (or just about any person!) in town, but, whereas all the others use a well-trodden route which is, nowadays, starting to show the effects of thousands of tourists and therir rubbish, the Shahi Palace people will take you to where No Man Has Gone Before -- well, just a few of us, anyway! It's like walking on the surface of the Moon -- you won't see another human being for hours.

Take LOTS of film. Have your clothes washed at Maya's Dry Clean, near the Hotel Shreenath Palace, and tell the young lad there (Govind) that Alan from Australia said hello.

Oh, and one more thing. Take LOTS of film.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM

The central monument in Jaisalmer is the fort, which is a 'living fort'. Legend has it that the retreating armies of the moslem ghori, were ambushed here by the Bhatti Jaisal Singh & all the booty collected in India was in turn looted here! the other monuments are the havelis of salim Singh, Patwon & Nathumal, with stunning exteriors.
The sand dune camel safaris are done either at Khuri or Sam. Khuri is less busy, but you must take your packed lunch as there is only one guest house there. the best hotels are Fort Rajwara & Gorbandh. they will organise a dinner on dunes at an extra cost. The New Year eve party at Gorbandh is wonderfully managed.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:37 AM

Yes go if you can. And be sure to stay somewhere inside the old walls. It's not quite the isolated enclave of imagination (but wonderful there is still no airport). Even back in 1994 it had it's share of souvenir shops and plenty of folk touting for camel safari business. But the location and the old houses, and
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:39 AM

Yes go if you can. And be sure to stay somewhere inside the old walls. It's not quite the isolated enclave of imagination (but wonderful there is still no airport). Even back in 1994 it had its share of souvenir shops and plenty of folk touting for camel safari business. But the location and the old houses, and the view of the the city from outside the walls at sunset - all make it totally worth the effort of getting there. There is an overnight train from Jodphur if that appeals. Well, there was, and I expect there still is, as IR don't often just abolish routes!

Did you have it in mind to go on a camel safari? How much time will you have if you go? If you can, and if it is still possible to do so, try and do one that involves an overnight sleeping out in the desert. A stunning experience having a simple meal cooked for you by the guides and then bedding down on the sand with the heavens above.

Not sure if it is my favourite city in India - but it would definitely be on the short list.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hammail, I noted your earlier post regarding Udaipur or Jodphur. FYI, I have just returned from my trip to India. We spent 3 days in Udaipur and hired a car/driver to take us to Jodphur. On the way to Jodphur, you could visit the beautiful Jain temple at Ranakpur (spell??). All together, the journey took us approx 6 hours. Roads were good.

We stayed 2 nights in Jodphur at Ajit Bhawan. If you do stay there, beware of their sale pitch of guided day tours (car/driver and guide) to the Merengah Fort and Clock Tower which they try to sell you as soon as you arrived. I love the Merengah Fort. You can go to the Fort yourself and the entrance fee includes a very good audio guide and you can do it in leisure!

Then, from Jodphur we went to Jaisalmer by car/driver. The journey took us approx. 5 hours. Roads were good too. Jaisalmer - the golden city is definitely worth a visit. A camel ride in the desert is fun too. Please DO NOT book your camel rides with KK Travels.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I have two weeks...so 8 free days. We're thinking either the desert or the southwest coast. No more specific than that at this point. We leave Jan 21. Whatever we decide, we are very excited to finally see India and grateful to have this forum for guidance.
No camel rides from KK travel.
Instead of creating a new question...we were planning on asking our hotel in Delhi, (Imperial) for advice on what to do the last week. We've depended on the concierge for most if not all our trips and have had great success. Any reason to think this situation will be different?
thnx