Jaisalmer Airport--still closed?

Aug 19th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Jaisalmer Airport--still closed?

Does anyone have knowledge of the status of flights to Jaisalmer (from anywhere)??
Aug 20th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Bonita? Anyone? LP indicates that the airport was temporarily closed at the time of their printing. Indian Airlines lists it as a destination in their drop-down menu, but I cannot locate a flight that actually goes there.
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:59 AM

I know for sure that Jet Airways does not fly there either. I am not 100 pc certain, but I think the airport is still closed.
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:34 AM

I also think the airport is still closed to non military flights. the India site www.indiamike.com may be more accurately informed tho.
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, cram and hobbes! I checked on IndiaMike.com and someone there reported that the airport WAS still closed. Too bad.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:38 AM

Yep. Too bad indeed. I can confirm for absolute sure now that Jaisalmer airport is still closed for all civilian traffic. I checked through contacts in India. So, car or train, a camel or a flying carpet if you can find one. Any idea how long it takes by car from Jodhpur or Bikaner to get to Jaisalmer?
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I don't know. Also, I have read some pretty depressing reports on IndiaMike about trains to/from Jaisalmer being cancelled abruptly. I think I'll just plan on taking the train from Delhi to Jodhpur and seeing what things look like from there before making definite plans for travel on to Jaisalmer.
Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:23 AM

This is what I got in today from a friend/travel agent in Delhi.
Jaisalmer is on the air map. But at this time, only Jackson Airlines (a small private airline which operates 18 seater Dornier aircrafts) flies on the routing Delhi/Jaipur/Jodpur/Jaisalmer and then returns the same way. But this airline is very erratic and tends to cancel flights at the drop of a hat. On the other hand, Indian airlines will begin operations (essentially on the same routing) on their winter schedule.
unquote
There is hope at the horizont!
Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

That's great, cram. It's on Indian Airline's drop-down menu for destinations so maybe it will happen.
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM

Hi all. Jaisalmer aiport has been closed for civilan traffic for quite some time now, sometime after 9/11. Indian ailrines, and/or its subsidary Alliance Air used to ply the route, but has not been operating. Apparently, there are plans to start flying again, depending on the tourist traffic and numerous other factors, but one never knows..Even in the heyday when there was flights into Jaisalmer airport, they did not always operate, so..Anyways, there is definately talk/plans in the woodworks for flights to Jaisalmer again, but hard to say anything for certain. i have never heard of that small jackson airlines,so can't speak for certain on what is the deal with that...You can reach Jaislalmer a few differnt ways, by overnite train from Jodphur,(which takes about 6 hours) or by road with private car/or local bus from both Jopdhur or Bikaner. From Jodphur the journey by road is about 5 hours, and from Bikaner it would be more like 7 hours. I have not heard of the problems with the night train from Jopdhur to Jaisalmer, and i have taken it a few times. A good idea is take the train either in/out, and then take the road the opposite direction, so you get both experinces..happy travels..