Itinerary questions

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary questions

My husband and I are 30 somethings traveling to Asia for the first time. We've only done a couple spanish speaking countries in the past because I had some spanish in high school. In general my husband is worried about not being able to get around easiely in foreign countries. We are looking for advice of where to go for a two week trip in thailand. We generally like pretty scenery and outdoor activities, and are in moderately good shape. Other places we've gone to in the past are Peru, Belize, Guatemala, and a caribbean cruise. I recently went to Barcelona and loved it, but I think overall we would prefer to spend less time in big cities and more time experiencing the culture in rural areas. I'd like to see some good ruins, temples, and local animal life. We like land and water activities, so we would like to incoporate time in both the north and south regions in this two weeks. Our budget is about 6K US. We aren't too picky about acommodations as long as they are clean. We may even use points to stay at the Mariott resort in BKK since everyone seems to rave about it. Idealy we would like to limit transportation time, to have more time seeing the sites.

Also has anyone ever flown on China Air? The seem to have the best schedule for the day I want to leave, for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance for your advice, I love this forum.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM

china air gets good marks for price, but some have found it low on their general lists...

you will love the marriott if you stay there...

with a couple of weeks plan to split time in bkk at both beginning and end of trip and maybe an island like samui or phuket and also up country in chaing mai and/or chiang rai...

no problem communicating in any place in thailand ...someone always speaks english...spanish no use there...

easy to get around and cheap all around...
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM

I would agree with Bob, that it is easy and cheap to get around in BKK. Not all taxi and tuk tuk drivers know English, though. But you can have the doorman at your hotel give the driver directions in Thai, and then you should be good to go. You can also get directions to return to your hotel from the restaurant where you spend your evening.

Bangkok is an amazing city, so you may find yourself enjoying it more than you thought possible, given that you say you usually do not like big cities.

Phuket and Phi Phi might be good options for you for about 4-5 days of your trip. The scenery, to me, is stunning, with the rocks jutting right up out of the water!

I speak only one language (Eng) and studied French in high school (and hove only used it once, to order red wine in southern France). I've traveled on five continents and have not had a problem, with very few exceptions, at communicating with people. Do not let language keep you from traveling the world!!

Carol
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I would spend 6 nights in Bangkok divided between the beginning and end of the trip and then spend 3 nights in Chiang Mai, and 4-5 nights in northern thailand -- chiang rai and/or mae hong son. You can easily do this without a tour but I would recommend a driver for northern thailand. You'll see lovely scenery, be able to do outdoor activities and see what makes people fall in love with the thai people and culture. I'd skip the beach if you only have two weeks since it is the least "thai" and since you can go to gorgeous beaches a lot closer to home.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

So based on what I have read here is what I have come up with so far. FYI we aren't able to go any sooner than the end of April, I know the rain will start coming down, so if you think we will be absolutely miserable doing anything in the rain let us know.

1 Late night flight to Bancock
2 flying (confused about date/time chg)
3 Noon-arriving -rest day at mariott
4- Grand Palace- river market
5- Bancock (any recommendations?)
6- Fly to Chang Mai- Night market
7- ? trek/tour - northwest thailand
8- trek/tour
9- trek/tour
10- trek/tour
11- Chang Mai or Water location?
12- fly to puhket/ Krabi/ Samoui
13- Kayaking
14- Snorkeling
15- Bancock- shopping and other sights
16- Fly Home

So has anyone ever gone through Track of the tiger/ Maekok River Village Resort? Prices for their tours seem to be just a bit higher, but I wondered if it would be worth it for a good overall experience. Any other mountain resort sugestions that are less that 3000 baht a night? Would appreciate a comfortable place since we may come home soaking wet. Any other tour guide recommendations for that area? We want to do a litte hiking, a river raft, elephant ride, see any beautiful sights and tribal people (in an unintrusive way).

My husband also wants to take a half day cooking class, any sugestions where? They did offer one at Maekok Village resort, but I wondered if there would be just as good of ones for less elsewhere.

Best place for good kayaking and snorkeling in the south? Where we stay doesn't really matter that much here, won't really just lie around on the beach at a resort, we'd be out doing something.

Thanks again for the advice.