Asian Food in NYC

Nov 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Asian Food in NYC

This is sort of about Asia.

We ventured into NYC this weekend and had two wonderful Asian meals. On Friday, we ate at KittiChai, an elegant Thai inspired restaurant on Thompson Street in SOHO. We had a cold beef salad and Kittichai Fish cakes for appetizers. The salad came wrapped in a banana leaf and was near perfect. The dressing was a bit milder than in BKK, but still scrumptious. The fish cakes had two dipping sauces. one a pungent mustard sauce and the other a sweet sauce. For the main courses, we had a whole deep-fried sea bass. They had fileted the fish before frying, but had fried the skeleton as well. The pieces were arranged around the skeleton in an artful manner and then covered with a very smooth curry sauce, superb. The second was a duck breast and leg confit in a soy-based sauce. Very nice as well. Two ice cream dishes to top it off. All for 6400 Baht, including tip.

Out of time, I will add later about Nobu, Next Door on Saturday night.
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM

i would hope for $160 that it was good!!! did you leave your usual 10 B tip??
Nov 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Tip? I figured it was a Thai restaurant, so I left a few coins from my pocket.

Nobu is THE hot Japanese restaurant in NYC. Reservations are needed months in advance. Robert DeNiro is a part owner. However, there is an offshoot called Nobu Next Door that does not take reservations. We gave it a try.

Our friends had said that we needed to get there by 6:15 to get a table without waiting. We got there at 6:00 and got the last table.

The Menu has a Tepura section, Sushi section, Hot dish and cold dish section. We were perplexed and inquired of the waiter. he recommended the Omikase tasy=ting menu for $80, 100 or 120 per person. We ignored this and asked hwo to pick ala carte. He said to get 3 cold dishes, 3 hot dishes and then tempura and sushi. There were 4 of us. (Bob, you'll be glad to know that the couple with us included both a psychiatrist and a psychologist).

The waiter picked our 3 cold and hot dishes. They were in order, a salad with slices of tuna in a miso salad dressing, fluke slices with chives and a spring roll with trout for the cold dishes. They were excellent. We were given new plates for each sucessive course.

The hot dishes were Black Cod in a Ponzu sauce (the best fish I have ever had), Sea Bass in a light tempura with a Peruvian Chile sauce and beef with three dipping sauces. The hot dishes were unbelievable.

The restaurant is in Tribeca on Hudson Street. It is wonderful. The bill was 3000 Baht per person, including two ice cream dishes and a little wine. Cheaper than the tasting menu.

The combination of Kittichai and NND was great.
Nov 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM

when i take beth we will have what the waiter suggests!!!!
Nov 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks, Gpanda. I've read other reviews of Nobu, but yours was the most informative.
Nov 8th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Kathie-after dinner at Nobu, Next Door, we peeked into Nobu. The setting was much more formal and the diners were an older crowd. Dinner took about 2 1/2 hours at NND. Each cold and hot dish was served separately. Amazingly enough, we got new plates after each dish was cleared. I managed to refrain from licking the plates. When we exited there were about 20 people waiting for tables. My sense is that as a practical matter, there ends up being an initial seating before 6:00 p.m. and then a nother seating at about 8:15 p.m.. I don't know when you would have to get there to be included in the second seating.
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:45 PM

did the menu have pictures so you knew what you were ordering like so many of your fav rests. in bkk??
Nov 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM

I also recommend Megu. Its modern Japanese in Tribeca. Its a beautiful space and excellent food... and not so hard to get a reservation since the space is so so huge. it has a main dining room but there are all these hidden private rooms. Google Megu and you should get its website.
Nov 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

No pictures. We let the waiter pick our dishes. He probably did not need the benefit of pictures.

HKG-what is the address of Megu?
Nov 16th, 2005, 11:46 AM

For asian fusion in NYC also try Spice Market.

You can read my review on my site at http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/u...k-spice-market
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:17 PM

The "real thing" Thai food-wise is not to be found in Manhattan. Believe me I've been looking for years. For a taste of REAL Thai try this place in Jackson Heights, Queens. Seriously, its the closest thing to eating in Bangkok:

Sripraphai
6413 39th Avenue (off Broadway near Jackson Heights)
Woodside, NY 11377
718-899-9599

Cash only
No reservations
Can be significant lines at popular eating times
Not much ambiance
Wonderful, authentic food. Very close to Thai street food.
Lots of Thai people eating there
Very reasonable prices
Donít miss the Drunken Noodles
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:43 PM
CFW

I think I read of review of Sripraphai
in the NY Times food section which gave it a rave & said exactly what you've said -- closest thing to eating in BKK, with prices to match.

Search this Thread