Itinerary help - Goa and Rajasthan

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help - Goa and Rajasthan

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, here's what we've got so far:

Day 01 - 04: Goa. Taj Exotica
Day 04 - 06: Delhi. Staying with a friend.
Day 07. Drive to Agra. Overnight in Bharatpur at Peharsar.
Day 08. Driver to Ranthambore. Overnight at Sher Bagh. Skip afternoon safari as everyone says it will be too hot for the tigers to come out.
Day 09 - Early morning safari in smaller jeep. Drive to Jodhpur. Overnight in Jodhpur at Ranbanka.
Day 10 and 11. Drive to Udaipur via Ranakpur. Overnight at Jagat Farms.
Day 12: Leave for home.

A few questions:

1. I know this itinerary is a bit rushed, but I'm traveling with a friend who is visiting India for the first time and wants to see as much as possible. Any suggestions on how to cover a lot of ground and still enjoy oneself?

2. Has anyone stayed at any of these properties? I know Sher Bagh is quite loved in many posts, how about the others? I've been looking for something in the $150/night range.

3. From Delhi onwards, we will have a private car and driver. I'd love suggestions on any interesting spots to stop at along the way... historic sites, favorite shops and restaurants, etc.

4. While we're in Goa, Delhi, Jodhpur, and Udaipur - favorite places to eat, shop, watch the world go by...

Thank you!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Who has told you the tigers will not be out in the heat? Chances of seeing them are far higher in the heat as they are near the watering holes the guides know. Also, going all the way to Ranth and doing only one safari does not to my mind make sense. We went to Ranth mid April and with 1 night did 2 safaris and saw tigers both times. Pull up my earlier detailed posts re Delhi shopping and eating out. Re Sher Bagh. We decided not to stay there on our trip in April coz the tents are NOT a/c. We went there for dinner 1 night and were quite happy with our decision not to stay there in April. The winter is something entirely different and it would be the ideal place to stay.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM

On the tiger stuff. I agree with hobbes, one safari is NOT enough.

I am not positive that tigers will come out in the heat of the sun. Isn't that the time they sleep in the shade?

But either way, afternoon safaris are usually 3-6PM when it has cooled some.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM

there ia a great Goa website at
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=60. Worth a look!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM

I stayed at Taj Exotica when it was brand new. I can't say I liked it especially because it was far from all the 'happening' places of Goa. The beach wasn't great either.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM

Driving from Ranthambhore to Jodhpur is a really crazy idea, and I mean that in a bad way, not an adventurous way.

Itís little wonder that some people vow never to return to India if they attempt things like that.

I feel sure a travel agent must be behind such a suggestion.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Ranakpur is a real highlight so be sure to leave at least a couple of hours to visit there along your route.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM

i am agree with stven ber. You can not drive to jodhpur, it is lalmost 10=12 hour drive and very hetic schudle.

In Ranthb you can see the tiger in evening after 5-6 Pm there is bright chance to spot the tiger. Rest all the travel plan looks very good
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM

a. The Chandra Mahal Haveli at Peharsar is a beautiful place to be in. It is in the middle of nowhere. The hosts are most gracious & cuisine delicious. However, the Haveli has only air-cooled rooms. The bird sanctuary is but only 25km away. You can take your picnic bífast & watch the birds, sitting as you do with a pair of fine field glasses.
b. Infact, the afternoon safari is most fruitful as tigers are on the prowl, hunting for game. These animals wake up from their slumber around 2:00pm & go straight for water on a hot day. You are most likely to see them in the glades around the lakes in Ranthambore, keeping an eye on antelopes. While the morning safari is profitable when an overnight kill has been made & the tiger is lying up close by, to guard against scavengers.
c. The distance from Swaimadhopur to Jodhpur is simply too long. You may break your journey at Pushkar or Roopangarh.