Bangkok hotel advice needed

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok hotel advice needed

Hello,

This has been such a great resource. Thanks to all of you who post such wonderful information!!

We will be in Bangkok for one final day on April 14. Does anyone have a hotel suggestion for us? We want a place convenient to mass transit, preferably with a pool. We will arrive from Chiang Mai around 9am and will leave again from the airport a little after midnight/early Saturday morning, about 15/16 hours later.

I know this is the last day of Songkhran and it is likely we will end up soaking wet if we venture out. Since we will have done the major sites on a previous visit, we are mostly looking to have a more relaxed day. I believe a hotel room--or four--will give us a place to leave luggage, a place to clean up if soaked, and a place to relax.

We will travel with 7 children so are considering the mall with the aquarium, pool time, and maybe a movie while we ladies shop at the malls.

Suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM

My hotel choice when i goto Bangkok is the Century park because it is affordable, and I love the breakfast. That being said i don't spend much time there.
I highly doubt you'll see rain those days in Bangkok, allthough it is considered last day of the high season i've found it only really rains in june or september. that being said it might rain for an hour in the afternoon. I think the reason that the high season ends at that time is because May is the hottest month of the year in thailand.
I know many british families like to stay at the Pathuwan Princess at the MBK mall. It might suit all your needs, shopping, pool attached to the sky train. Not too far from the airport (maybe 300 bahts.) If you want something upscale the Marriott is exceptionally nice for its price.
Make sure when you get a taxi make sure they are using the meter. if they refuse get out and get another taxi.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM

I think the kids will enjoy the aquarium at the Siam Paragon mall. I was impressed, anyway.

If you are intending to shop, then you should locate near shopping! What about the Hyatt Erawan or the Intercontinental? Also the Four Seasons is not far away from this area either.

Carol
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM

We were in Bangkok last year during Songkhran, and by the last day, the revelers were beginning to lose a little interest in soaking everyone who passed by. Although there were still many children and young people on the street corners with their super-soakers, buckets and hoses, if we politely asked then not to wet us, they smiled and turned to someone else more willing to join in their fun.

With that said, it may still be a good idea if you book a hotel that is attached to a mall or sky train station - just in case...
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM

so what's your budget per night, per room
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM

pathawan princess is an excellent choice....so would the holiday inn bangkok on plenochit....also any of the centre point svcd apartments, especially the CP silom....

nei lert, next to the british embassy and in the shopping district might be good also....

grand president also but further along....

asia hotel, but not sure of their pool situation...

of course my favorite, but not adajacent to really great shopping is the marriott resort and spa....

jw marriott is another....

majestic grande is a good choice as well
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Yes, take the kids to the Aquarium. I was just there in Dec/Jan. I have done a report on it. Type in the SEARCH box....Siam Ocean World and the thread will pop up. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM

As I understand it you will not be spending a night at a hotel but only for the day until you are ready to leave for the airport. The Asia hotel may meet your requirements, right by a skytrain station, one stop away from the famoue MBK shopping centre and two stops from the central Siam station where close by will be the Siam Ocean World, movie theatres and more shoppimg malls. You could get a 2 bedroom suite for 4000 baht (http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/bangkok/hotels/) and if you need more space a superior room is 1600 baht. It is a 3 star hotel, showing its age but the rooms are clean and it has 2 swimming pools. Of course you can get better accommodations such as the Pathawan Princess or various other upmarket hotels if you wish.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM

I have just come back from Bangkok and stayed in the Majestic Grande, just off Sukhumvit Road, about a five minute walk from the Skytrain. The hotel was absolutely amazing. Wonderful room, fantastic service, delicious breakfasts and all at a really decent price. I would highly recommend it and will stay there next time I am in Bangkok. It also has a pool, which is a little small but it's very nice.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Check out le Chateau de Bangkok managed by Sofitel. Great pool, good location, about $110 US. It is bookable on the Accor website. Great tripadvisor reviews.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I am going to go look now.

We would like to keep it under a hundred per family, but we'll do whatever we have to do. Personally, I think after running around like crazy for a week I would just like to relax in a relatively quiet atmosphere. We'll have stuffed as many experiences into 7 days as possible. One day at the end to simply chill would be nice, I think.

Thanks a million!

Mary
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:19 AM

The Holiday Inn Ploenchit should work for you. Right on Chitlom station and rooms are availabel for US$80/night. Close to Central Chitlom for shopping as well as the Siams - Siam Paragon (with the aquarium), Siam Discovery and Siam Center. While the ladies shop at the Siam malls the rest can see a movie at Siam EGV.