Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need recommendations for the best itinerary to visit Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan if I’m flying out of Miami. We would be traveling at the end of October and we only have 2 weeks. I’d appreciate any recommendations for cheapest route for traveling and least plane travel time.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 06:23 PM
kja

In two weeks? You don't even have the time to visit the highest of highlights of Japan in that time!

I'm sure you can see some wonderful things in that time, but you'll spend a LOT of time in transit relative to your time actually seeing or doing anything. ONLY you can decide whether that's worth it, and if so, what -- exactly -- you are going to try to fit into your time. My advice is to go to your local library or bookstore to begin learning about your options.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't even imagine trying to visit Japan, Hong Kong, and Thailand in two weeks. Even the fast paced, mass market group tours wouldn't attempt that.

Now if you mean JUST Bangkok, Hong Kong and Tokyo . . . then sure I guess. But that would not be seeing anything else of Thailand or Japan.

Have you booked your long haul flights yet? If so, where are you flying in to and home from? If you haven't booked yet -- pick one and just do R-T. But it is quite late to start planning even a one country itinerary in a month's time.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 12:37 AM

I agree with kja and Janis Joplin . Two weeks is nowhere near enough time for all three countries. The Rugby World Cup is being held in October in Japan so I think you would find it very difficult and VERY expensive to find accomodation at that time.

If you wanted to do say HK and Thailand either look at open jaw tickets on kayak or skyscanner or a straight return to Bangkok or HK and use on of the many budget airlines in the region.
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 12:40 AM

Oops! Apologies janisj, autocorrect at work! I assume you are no relation to the greatest female blues singer the world has ever known?
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by liliacarter4656
I need recommendations for the best itinerary to visit Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan if I’m flying out of Miami. We would be traveling at the end of October and we only have 2 weeks. I’d appreciate any recommendations for cheapest route for traveling and least plane travel time.
Two weeks for all three places is beyond my comprehension. I’ve been to all three and have spent 2 decades of going to Thailand nearly annually, 3 summers of going to Japan, and one short 5-night trip to Hong Kong, but round-trip from Singapore as I fly home to L.A. from Singapore when on the annual 6-week vacation to S.E. Asia.

Now, as for what I’d recommend, it’s either the whole two weeks in Japan or the whole two weeks in Thailand. My first summer trip to Japan in 2017, I spent two weeks there. In 2018, I had three weeks to spend and this recent summer I had at least 3.5 weeks. However, I got a lot done in the two weeks on the first trip. Two weeks beat no weeks as that’s all that I could spend on the first trip as I have responsibilities here at home.

Happy Travels!

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
Oops! Apologies janisj, autocorrect at work! I assume you are no relation to the greatest female blues singer the world has ever known?

No Prob Ever since I changed to this screen name I've wanted people to think it was a reference to her . . .
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 04:30 AM

From what i can see there are no direct flights from Miami to any of your preferred stops. So you will spending one full day, maybe more just getting to Asia.
I'd choose BKK to fly to (the very cheapest), spend 4 days, hop to HK, spend 3 days there, then onto Tokyo (or other Japan city), see some sights and fly home.
If you can find a plane ticket to accommodate that plan.
Once arrived in each city have a central hotel and do not change. Plan for walking lots. It's always HOT in Bangkok, will be better in HK and Tokyo mild weather.
If Rugby World Cup gives hotel fits, from HKG many flights to off-beat Japan cities. Then train ride to Tokyo for journey home.
Enjoy!!
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. My original plan was to visit my son who’s studying abroad in Hong Kong for this semester and try to visit Bangkok and Tokyo. Unfortunately, I only have 2 weeks available.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 06:10 PM

With two weeks (assuming you man 14 days home to home) you really have about 11.5 days free for seeing/doing. then you lose another day moving from one city/country to another -- so in 'real life' you will have less than 10 days for sightseeing.

So maybe something like 4 or 5 nights/ 3 or 4 days to visit with your son and get a taste of Hong Kong, and 7-ish nights / 6 days in either Japan or Thailand. That would be doable.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 06:23 PM
kja

I agree with janisj.
Good luck with your decision!
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 08:03 PM

Have you been to PRC? That would be the natural choice for me, maybe Beijing and Xi'an. The ancient history there is unbeatable, and it would make the most sense logistically.
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Ha! Go to China? An absurd suggestion given the time, expense and headaches involved. In Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan you do not need any visa, contrary to China. And Beijing will be getting cold and dark.
Go to HK, visit the family, have some new kind of foods, see some famous shopping streets, enjoy the chinese flavored environment and hordes of people. In fact now a good time to book a good hotel as prices are down to local demands for more civil freedoms, and nasty police actions.
In Bangkok, at a reasonable hotel within walking distance of the big river, recently i paid US$60 for a big, clean, quiet, neighborhood hotel room just down the street from Oriental Mandarin. River taxis to all the sites, lots of interesting places and foods.'
Lots of nay-sayers here thinking 'only the best will do'. Well, maybe if i had US$300 per night for hotel my tune would be adjusted.
From HK many flights to off-track Japan cities with NO rugby, but maybe Sumo!
Go, Enjoy, Eat, Don't Worry.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Jobin, it is "absurd" to harshly criticize other posters here when we are all volunteers, and simply making suggestions to the OP. The posters upstream from me were suggesting that the OP not try to traipse all over the Asian continent, but rather choose one area other than Hong Kong to head to after visiting her son. I agree with that suggestion, and because we had been on a wonderful trip to mainland China and Hong Kong together, I mentioned it as a possibility. I have no idea if that would interest the OP, or if she had been to mainland China before.

Regarding your criticism of travel to mainland China, I never let the necessity of obtaining a visa stop me from going. In fact, some of the most interesting places I have been, including Syria, Russia,and Bolivia, all required visas. Also, the weather in October in Beijing should be in the 70's during the day, and the 50's at night. Dressing properly, this should make it fine.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Jobin, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but do you have to be so bloody rude in expressing it? I doubt that you would be so aggressive in person, so why do it behind the safe anonymity of the internet. Good manners cost nothing.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:53 AM

If you are intent on doing this, then seeing just the Tokyo area, HK, and Bangkok seems to be the most sensible.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 02:56 PM

If you are looking to party for a night or two then Phuket and Koh Phangan. Phuket also has a great resort area on its south side and very cool places to visit by boat. For temples and culture, I'd stick the mainland. Chang Mai is a great city for that. Plus, you should definitely visit Koh Tao. That place is extremely unique and laid back. Get there by fairy ride.