Search

Itinerary for Mother's 70th Birthday

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Mother's 70th Birthday

Hi

I am in the early stages of planning a 2 1/2 week trip to Vietnam and/ or Cambodia with my mother for her upcoming 70th birthday in February. We will likely spend a few nights in Tokyo, as I have miles with American Airlines. I have been considering 4 nights in Hanoi, 1 night in Halong Bay and 4 nights in Siem Reap, leaving 4 or 5 nights to vist 1 additional place or spend more time in the aforementioned cities. My mother has never traveled in Asia, is very energetic and loves to sight see. She's very active, but probably not up for hiking or anything along those lines. As I'm sure that the pace in Tokyo, Hanoi and Siem Reap will be fairly hectic, I was looking for a place to relax for at least a few nights before returning home. I personally enjoy slower-paced travel and could be persuaded to spend the entire trip in Cambodia in 2 or 3 spots.

Thanks,

David
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM

luang prabang laos might interest you....it is just such a place...
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Hi,
4nights in hanoi is too many, 1 day to take a city trip. You can go around hanoi as some traditional villages 1day, your mother can be need some handy-made and like to find the life style of the local people. You can go to Hoa Lu- Tam Coc 1day.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM

I loved Hanoi and I spent more than 4 nights there. There is plenty to do. Bob's suggestion of Luang Prabang is a good one, but it does mean you are visiting three countries in two and a half weeks. You might opt for Hue and Hoi An in Vietnam for you last 4 days or so. Remember that means you'll need a multiple entry visa for VN.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I certainly don't think 4 nights in Hanoi is too many - you could easily spend longer. I also like the suggestion of Luang Prabang, but if you want to stay in the same country you could look at Phnom Penh, or the Cambodian coast.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:25 AM

take a look at my Vietnam trip report from my trip a few weeks ago. We are almost your mom's age (55 and 64) and it was my bf's first trip to Asia. If you check out our itinerary -- but take HCMC off -- that leaves 13 nights -- just about what you are looking for.
And a 4th night in SR would be great, too. We only had 3 nights.
I think Hoi An would make the perfect spot for some rest and relaxation.
Our itinerary really worked well:
3 nights Hanoi (allowing for 2.5 days in the city)
1 night HaLong Bay
fly that night to Hue (but you could skip Hue and fly directly to Danang if you want to go directly to Hoi An)
we spent 2 nights in Hue and enjoyed having a day there, but you could just spend 4 nights in Hoi An if you want a more relaxing pace.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will certainly look into Hue and Hoi An as options. Luang Prabang is exactaly the type of place I had in mind. I was there in 2006 about 2 weeks and really loved it.

Hanoi, Halong Bay and Luang Prabang would probably make a nice trip.

What about Sapa? It sounds nice, but may be too cold this time of year.

David

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will certainly look into Hue and Hoi An as options. Luang Prabang is exactaly the type of place I had in mind. I was there in 2006 for about 2 weeks and really loved it.

Hanoi, Halong Bay and Luang Prabang would probably make a nice trip.

What about Sapa? It sounds nice, but may be too cold this time of year.

David

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Sapa can be cold in February. There is a thread just a few message below this one called "Sapa in February."