Search

Itinerary Help: 12 days in SIN-Cambodoia-Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help: 12 days in SIN-Cambodoia-Vietnam

Hello Fodorites,

I've lurked for a while reading and re-reading past posts of itineraries to SE Asia and decided to finally post for some feedback. My husband and I are planning a 12-day trip to SE Asia during the first two weeks of June, flying into and out of Singapore. First, about us: I lived in Singapore for 2 years several years back and have traveled around the region a fair amount (mostly quick-hitters). Have not been to Cambodia or Vietnam yet. Husband has never been to Asia at all and is enthusiastic, but does not have ideas as to how much time to spend where, etc. His requests were to 1) include Vietnam and Angkor, and 2) see as much as reasonably possible since it's unlikely we'll be back anytime soon.

So, the goal of this trip is to show husband a taste of Singapore (I am clear on where I want to go/what I want to see) and to get some SE Asia experiences within our admittedly short time frame. We narrowed down to Cambodia (Angkor is our "must" in terms of other sights to see) and Vietnam. Before anyone suggests it, though we considered it, we're not interested in Thailand for this trip.

So, below is the itinerary I have drafted. Knowing our travel speed and the fact that we're not going to be making it back to SE Asia in some years, I am fairly happy with this as a whole. But I am thinking of cutting either PP or HCMC. Note that flights into and out of Singapore are booked, and flights SIN-Siem Reap and Hanoi-SIN are also booked. Hotels are all booked but are all able to be changed, with the exception of Singapore.

I guess my questions are -- would you cut one of those two cities and add a day to both SR and Hanoi? Or is it worth it to spend even only one day in PP/1.5 days in HCMC if we just want to see a few things and soak up the city atmosphere?

Day 1 transit

Day 2 arrive Singapore late p.m., to hotel (Marina Mandarin)

Day 3 Singapore all day and night

Day 4 early departure to Siem Reap/arr SR 7 a.m.; full day at temples, time to relax at hotel in midday, more p.m. temples, and hotel (FCC Angkor)

Day 5 full day in Siem Reap/Angkor; maybe half day at Tonle Sap (?)

Day 6 morning in Siem Reap/Angkor; transit to airport at 2 pm. for 4 p.m. flight to Phnom Penh; arr. PP 6 pm. for dinner, relaxation (hotel: Le Pavilion)

Day 7 PP all day -- Tuol Seng, Palace, etc.

Day 8 9:30 or 12:30 departure to HCMC; afternoon sights in HCMC; staying at Grand Hotel Saigon)

Day 9 HCMC all day; no time for Mekong day tour, methinks

Day 10 9:30 a.m. flight to Hanoi; arrive and p.m. sightseeing; hotel is Hanoi Elegance 2

Day 11 Hanoi all day/night

Day 12 Handspan overnight Halong Bay tour

Day 13 Handspan tour; transit to Hanoi; depart Hanoi on 7:30 p.m. flight to Singapore; arrive Singapore 11:30, directly to hotel (MM again)

Day 14 Singapore all day

Day 15 Transit home

What do you think? Advice appreciated. I feel OK with travel in Asia, the flights are all quick, airports seem to be located conveniently....again, we're looking for not-too-strenuous sightseeing once in a location, getting a feel for the city. The pace in general seems OK but gets a bit sticky in that transit from Cambodia to Vietnam.

Also, in June, is weather a factor in HCMC? Looks like that would be the worst in terms of rain....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and make suggestions. We're excited!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM

A couple of thoughts... you'll both be happier if you spend less time in transit. So I would suggest fewer stops.

It takes a full three days just to see the major temples at Angkor. If you are really interested in the temples, you'd want longer. So I'd skip PP, spend three days in Siem Reap, then fly directly to Hanoi. You don't have enough time to do/see anything in HCMC anyway, and Hanoi is a much more interesting city.

So my proposal would be for just three stops: Singapore, Siem Reap, and Hanoi.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM

To be honest, I think you've got too many places, but I also understand your desire to do a lot in a limited amount of time.

Perhaps eliminate Phnom Penh. If you do not, you might consider changing your hotel. While it's nice inside with a pool, the neighborhood is such that several who live in PP have said that you must take a tuk tuk to go anywhere because of safety at night. We were considering PP a well for our time in Cambodia and also liked the look of the Pavillion, but didn't like what I was hearing about the location.

In Vietnam, you might choose north or south, but not both with your limited time. I really don't feel that any atmosphere can be soaked up in a day or two in any location....you've got to have to relax into a place, find a place to hang out, meet some people, in order to soak up any atmosphere IMO.

Actually, with what I've been reading lately about peoples' experiences in Halong Bay, I might skip that in favor of a visit to a small town in addition to Hanoi. Or, drop Hanoi altogether in favor of HCMC and the Mekong Delta...but I see you've already locked in air from Hanoi....

Even though flights are short, it still involves getting to the airport early for check in, flying, getting to the next hotel and checking in...at the very least, it's a 3 hour exercise, but more likely it will take more time than that.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Ok...so if we cut PP, cut HCMC, and add one additional night to Siem Reap, would we have time to go to Hue for 2 nights? Or, head straight to Hanoi and go to Sapa for 2 nights? Or to Hanoi and stay there for a full 4 nights? If the latter, what other day trips would be possible? 4 nights in the city might be too much.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM

There is a lot to see in Siem Reap, and you will want some relaxing time, too. If you spend 4 nights there, then go to Hanoi for 2 nights, take a trip to Sapa for 2 nights (one night on the train might be fun...the Victoria Express car is the most beautiful car, but there are regular cars on the same train that are less expensive), back to Hanoi...

Itin idea for where you would sleep each night:
1 Flight
2 SIN
3 SIN
4 REP
5 REP
6 REP
7 REP
8 HANOI
9 HANOI
10 TRAIN
11 SAPA
12 HANOI
13 SIN
14 SIN
15 FLIGHT

I think that is doable, though still rushed for Hanoi and Sapa. You could go to Hue for those 2 nights, too.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Don't cut two places to add another! We're trying to help you find an itinerary where you get some experience of the place.

With a mere 4 days, spend it in and around Hanoi. You could easily spend that time in Hanoi, and you would leave with more things you wanted to do/see (and eat!) still on your list. If you must have a day trip, consider the Perfume pagoda. You can stop at the silk village on your way back.

I see Kim has just suggested Sapa - given how little time you have I don't think it makes sense to spend almost 24 hours on the train for a glimpse of Sapa.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM

While I don't think going to Hanoi and Sapa would be my style trip, fletch07 seems to want to go to more places, and expressed that she thought 4 days in Hanoi would be too much.

So, I didn't make it clear...3 places in your time period is plenty (Singapore, Siem Reap and Hanoi), and I personally wouldn't want to do more. But if you did, you could consider adding Sapa or Hue. Maybe leave it unbooked so you could decide once you get to Hanoi...that way, if you find you are happpy in Hanoi, stay, and if you decide to go to Sapa/Hue, you can go.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback from both of you. I think Sapa, after seeing how long it takes to get there, is out of the question. I do believe that, for us, 4-5 full nights in Hanoi is a bit much. I understand Kathie's perspective that length is more quality time to get to know a place; however, this isn't a perfect world where we can take months off to explore as we'd like.

Food for thought...thanks. It's tempting to try to over-extend given the surroundings.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM

cut PP, stay at SR, esp. if you want to go to the lake...

cut halong bay and use time in and around hanoi...
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I just returned from Cambodia and spent three days in Siem Reap. I also spent about a week and a half in Phnom Penh doing an Operation Smile mission.
The trip to SR was not only a chance to unwind after a very busy and labor intensive mission, but a chance to see the rural life in Cambodia as opposed to the flurry that is Phnom Penh.
We stayed at the Angkor Village Hotel and it couldn't have been lovelier. They picked us up at the airport in a shuttle van and when we arrived at the hotel (not the resort), we were met with tall glasses of iced tea. A very welcome sight in the heat of the day.
My room was a "budget" accomodation and I loved it! It was like a little bungalow, very homey and nicely decorated. The property has wonderful restaurants, bars, internet, pool and help with tourist activities.
If in the "old town" section, do visit "The Blue Pumpkin" for a meal. Don't judge the place by the first floor, go upstairs to the A/C restaurant and flop down on the couches. You will be met with a cool minted washcloth. After your meal, find a massage establishment and enjoy the $6 massages. Ah heaven!
Besides the temples (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm, Bonteay Srei and others), give the Silk Farm a visit or try the floating villages on the Tonle Sap river. An enchanting place. Have a great time in this beautiful and recovering country.
suz
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Keep in mind that the Tonle Sap trip out of Siem Reap could take up to a whole, not a half day, particularly if you do go out on a boat to see one or more of the villages. You might want to allow more time than originally scheduled for Siem Reap with that in mind. I also suggest the Artisan D'Angkor where the silk farm and in-town art center are- both are beautiful and a wonderful testimony to the hard working Cambodian people trying to bring art back to the country by teaching their youth the skills needed to produce the crafts. The silk/weaving farm is about a 30 plus minute ride out of town by tuk-tuk.