Search

Itinerary and some specific questions on Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary and some specific questions on Thailand

Hello all -

I've been reading many of the Thailand posts and have found them very helpful.

My husband and I are traveling to Thailand in November and I had some questions for anyone who may be able to assist. Our itinerary: We are arriving on Sunday at noon, and will likely only stay that night and return for 3 nights at the end of the trip, as it seems that we need to be there for a weekend. We were thinking we could travel to Chiang Mai and spend ~3 nights, 2 nights in Chiang Rai and 2 nights trekking. However, that still leaves about 4 nights free. We'd prefer to get into the Thai countryside rather than do a beach thing. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go? We'd love to get a more authentic view of Thailife and go outside of more touristy areas (seems like Kanchanaburi is more touristy?) but are totally open to suggestions. Natural beauty is always a plus (fields, waterfalls, etc.) but we'd also like to have the opportunity to interact with the local community.

Also some more specific questions:
- We'd like to stay at the Marriott but the best rates I've seen are ~$100 and others on this board have said they got it cheaper. Is it just timing?
- We have friends who bought furniture in Chiang Mai, hence the longer stay in that town. Anyone know if this is feasible, where to go, how to ship?
- The Marriot is (relatively) a spluge for us on hotels. any hotels near $30 in the other towns that folks could recommend?

Thanks for any advice you might have,
- Pam
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Two more things: I've been looking on asisrooms.com, precisionreservations.com and www.huahin.20m.com for the Marriot. Also, someone suggested going to see Angkor Wat for our four extra days - we're definitely open to it.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 05:17 PM

To answer the last question first, four days is not enough time, in my opinion, to see Angkor Wat for the first time. It needs at least five full days, plus two days traveling, to get a feel for the place.

As to hotels, PrecisionReservations guarantees to give you the lowest rate, so they're your best bet for cheap rooms at the Marriott, unless you're using points or miles to get a deal through Marriott. I'm not as big a fan of the Marriott as others on the forum. Its too far away from the center of things for my taste. It's not a problem during the day, when the hotel's free boat can get you to the mass transit hub at Taksin Bridge, but the boats don't run at night, so you're either trapped in the hotel or facing a long taxi ride to get anywhere interesting to eat.

Good, less pricey, alternatives include the Patumwan Princess, Arnoma and even the Holiday Inn.

Chiang Mai is full of inexpensive hotels. I would highly recommend the Suriwong for your budget. You'll be surprised at the size of a deluxe room and you can't beat the location. An interesting alternative would be Baan Orapin on the other side of the river.

For shopping, its quite reasonable to buy furniture in Chiang Mai. Most shops will arrange shipping back home for you.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Conventional Wisdom (Dawn Rooney) says that it takes three full days to see the major temples at Angkor. While I spent a week there and loved every minute, you can get a good sample in three full days. You can fly non-stop on Bangkok Air which saves you a lot of time in comparison to the full day overland trip.

Michael, in my experience most of the websites "guarantee" the best price. But you have to prove to them that you have been offerred a better price, etc. Thus, I always look at several of my favorite websites before booking.

You can buy furniture in Chaing Mai. The rule of thumb is that it will cost at least as much to ship as it did to buy the piece. Also, the shipping price typically only takes it to the closest international port to you and you must pay customs charges and onward shipping/delivery.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Consider Mae Hong Son area or spend a few days in a place like Doi Mae Salong or Mae Sot if you want to see rural thailand. I would save Siem reap for another trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the quick responses!

The caution on the Marriot is well-taken. I've booked our first night there, as we will probably want the resort after the long travel (from Boston) and feel like we should spend one night on the river. If we love it, we might return but I think I'll book something else just in case. We have $50 GC which isn't much, but it's something.

I love the look of the Suriwong. I'll book once I have dates solidified.

Thanks for the advice on the furniture - is this a case where Poon (Ratt's sister) might be helpful, to direct us to better shops?

As for Angkor Wat, now I'm really torn. Part of me says it could be a while before we return to this area so we should see it while we have the chance, and part of me says we're going to visit Thailand and should do that. Thoughts?

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Personally I'd spend it in thailand. Angkor Wat isn't going anywhere and it's a museum -- not a town that is changing. You say you want a more "authentic" thailand experience by which I assume you mean with fewer tourists. You can still find that but it is becoming harder and harder. I believe in immersing myself in one culture/country and spending as little time as possible in airports or traveling.

Yes, Poon can help you with the furniture.

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Do keep in mind that you might get cracks in the wooden furniture as it is used to extreme heat and humidity in Thailand. My son has a bedroom set and a diningroom set from Chiang Mai. The dining table has cracks in the "corners" of the rounded ends of the rectangular shaped table. The table has an "outer ring" of wood of a different shade/type from the rest of the table and THAT is the wood that has the cracks. Just beware!

For Bangkok hotels, Patumwan Princess or Siam Novotel would be located in the heart of the shopping part of the city. The river is always nice for a first-timer, so you really should try for the Marriott if it fits into your budget. If you were looking for $30 in Bangkok and in a handy location, I would suggest Patumwan House, but you are going to splurge in Bangkok. Enjoy!

Carol
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 08:15 AM

How interested are you in Angkor? If it's a place you really want to see, I'd recommend you go on this trip. While you can always spend more time in Thailand (you won't run out of things to do), but if you have the time, money and interest, do go. Gloria's comment about Angkor being a museum is true in the sense that these are ruins you are visiting. Nonetheless, there is restoration work being done, more temples being opened for visitors (very slowly, I might add) and lots more hotels being built in the area. When I was there a few years ago, we were able to visit Angor Wat itself at sunrise and do an hour of walking meditation alone in the quiet. At many of the so-called minor temples, we were the only visitors - really magical. As more and more visitors arrive these experiences are becoming less and less likely.

If you have only a passing interest in Angkor, then it can certainly wait.

I always recommend Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor, which is dur out in a new edition before the end of the year. An older edition will still give you plenty of info and you should be able to find it used pretty easily.

Also, you can take a look at photos from my trip at www.marlandc.com
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the caution on the furniture - very good to know. Also for the guidelines on shipping costs.

As for Bangkok hotels, now we're definitely up in the air. Patumwan Princess looks nice, as does Arnoma. That said, the Davis looks lovely. Has anyone been there recently? I can only find old posts.

Angkor is still also tbd - we need to discuss more. I'll keep you posted!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:01 AM

For other reviews of hotels check out www.tripadvisor.com. I think people like the Davis but it's a long walk to the skytrain which can be a problem because of heat.

As for furniture-- they can treat the furniture to prevent cracking and I know people who bought and have no problem (and they live in Chicago). But you do need to know what you're doing and make sure they are doing what they say.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Okay, here's the quick update. We decided to go to Angkor Wat after all. The flight is a bit expensive but seems worthwhile. We cut out trekking.

We'll have to cut Chiang Rai short or cut it altogether and do some days trips out of Bangkok. Suggestions? Here's our new itin:
2 nights BKK
4 nights Angkor Wat
2 nights CM
2 nights CR
4 nights BKK

or

2 nights BKK
4 nights Angkor Wat
3 nights CM
5 nights BKK with side trips

Also, we'll be staying at Pon Heary's guest house in SR. She is not available for the tour but said her borther Dara is - anyone know if he's as wonderful?

Finally, we're trying to get Baan Orapin in CM - it looked great!

Thanks!
- Pam
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I've used Ponheary in Angkor and loved her. We met her brother who is very nice too. She told me that he actually teaches other guides so I'm sure he will be very good. Other reports have been happy with him. Her guesthouse is nice and clean - fairly basic but adequate for the time. I loved Angkor and would love to go back again. I think its good to use a guide - we got a huge amount out of it but as Kathie says Dawn Rooneys book is great (you can buy it in Siem Reap) - I have used it a lot since getting home. We had 5 nights with 3 full days at the temples. Your guide will gear the visit to you. If Dara is like his sister then he will be about to gauge just how much you are taking in and when you need a break!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM

i like the 2nd set of days for your trip...

davis gets good marks...only issue is its distance to skytrain...

have you looked at the marriott resort and spa...its the best!! imo

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Bob - saw some of your recs for the Marriot - we're staying there for our first 2 nights, and will try to do as much on that side of the city as possible while staying there. I'm very excited, though a part of me thinks we should have saved it for the very end.

I'll try to get the Dawn Rooney book, too. Glad to hear that someone has heard of Dara! We'll book now.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:49 AM

I'd say go with your first itinerary with Chiang Rai
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

It seems like the more info I get the more confused I am. : )

Trying to get some hotel info for the Sukhumvit area. Siam Sq. seemed nice but thought we could use someplace with just a little more action. Can anyone recommend a place for $25-45/night in this area? Swiss Park? Bangkok Boutique looks lovely but no pool? Grand President?

Also, Marriott came back with some rates higher than we're willing to pay ($130+). Any less expensive places by or near the river? We're looing into Old Bangkok as it seems convenient (but again, no pool). We go north of $50 but under $100.