Is this connection do-able

Sep 28th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Is this connection do-able

So EVA have slightly changed my arrival time in BKK from LHR and we are now landing at 16.05 and MAS have bought forward the flight i wanted to catch to KUL to 17:05 so only leaves 1hour which i know is WAY to tight as EVA can't guarantee they will check my bags thru. The next MAS flight is 19.45 (which will get us into KLIA after 11pm and then we have to get to the hotel which makes it quite a late arrival, SO am thinking there is an Air Asia flight at 18:00 do you think just under 2 hours is ok? (i realise i will probably have to pay excess baggage)
Cost for the two flight is about the same so the price isn't really a factor
what do you guys think?

Sep 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I would go for the 19.45 flight with MAS and check the luggage through to KUL. If the BR flight arrive early in BKK you can always go to the MBK!

I'm not sure exactly how one connect on an Air Asia flight from another international flight but most likely you'll have to get your check in luggage and re check-in for Air Asia which could take a lot time and unnecessary pain.
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:48 AM

the thing with changing to air asia, which i would prefer normally for the later flight, is that you would have to go through immigration to get your bags and then the time is tooooo short i think....

why not have muffin fly out a day early and have him there to handle the logistics and you just arrive and prance through with no luggage to worry about....well in hindsight maybe he would do the prancing??
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Bob
You know you are SOOO right he would totally be prancing.....

when i looked to buy the tickets on Expedia i had several routes i wanted to purchase
BKK - KUL
KUL - LGK
PEN - BKK
they were all on MAS and i priced it up with the 17:00 flight BKK to KUL if i didnt buy that flight it was actually only £19 cheaper for the remaining 2 flights SO i thought what if i got them all in the vain hope we could somehow make that 17:00 connection BUT also buy the AA flight at 18:00 (or their next one is 18:45) that way if i miss the MAS 17:00 its actually only cost me £19?? and i get the AA one (assuming you would both think it prudent for me to get the AA 18:45)
Also IF we didnt get that 17:00 flight with MAS would it void my further two segments?? (technically they are seperate flight but i would be buying them together)
Does anyone know what i am talking about???
Oh and remember EVA have told me they may NOT check my luggage all the way thru anyway. (maybe i should ring MAS in BKK?)
Sorry for all the questions this is really starting to give me a headache
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman - just re-read your post LOL about MBK!!! i thought you final post was VERY FUNNY... glad we have Mango7 to guide us!!!!
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Smeagol, my experience is that all full-service carriers do check your baggage through. So it would be hard for me to imagine that EVA would not transfer your luggage to Malaysian. It doesn't hurt to call and confirm, and when you check in for your flight, do make sure they tag your luggage all the way through.

If you buy the earlier Malaysian flight, they will automatically shift you to the later flight if your EVA flight is too late for you to make the connection. (Do make sure that Malaysian has your full itinerary.) When you get to BKK, you just follow the transit signs.

The problems with opting for Air Asia are many. You'd have to go through passport control, pick up your luggage, Go to the Air Asia desk, re-check your luggage, go back through passport control and on to wait for your flight. Also, if you buy an AA flight and don't make it, you'll have to buy a new ticket.

Are you flying Biz? If so, I'd suggest that you take the later Malaysian Air flight. you can wait in their lounge and you won't have to rush. In KL, we took the train into the city (about 20 minutes). There is a special service that includes porters taking care of your luggage and a Mercedes to meet you at the train in KL and whisk you to your hotel. I can't remember the name of it, but if you are interested, I'd be glad to find it for you.
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Kathie
we are flying Biz on Eva but economy on MAS (so no lounge!!! although havent actually checked out the price). I called EVA at LHR and she said they couldnt confirm that they could check luggage i would have to wait till we got to LHR!!! but i will call MAS as you suggested
I would be very interested in the service you mentioned as the train sounds like an option. Would ypu happen to know how far the train station is then to the Mandarin O?
Just to recap then should i still book the 17:00 MAS flight and hopefully we can just follow the transit signs and IF we miss it Malaysian will rebook us on the 19.45?
Sorry to be a pain but have only done one transfer before and that was from a cathay flight to a cathay flight....
Sep 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Oh and Kathie you mentioned i should let MAS know my full itinerary, by that do you mean email them before hand (i sound like i have NEVER been out the UK before)

Thanks
S
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I'd call MAS and tell them your itinerary (the EVA flight), that you want to book the earlier flight, but if you do and your plane is late, will they automatically re-book you on the later flight? Also, confirm with them that EVA will transfer your luggage to the MAS flight.

The train/limo service into KL I mentioned is described on this page: www.vipservice.com.my/vipbooking/index.html

The price of 100RMB for the first person and 30 RMB for the second person is the same as it was when I was there several years ago. The Mandarin Oriental is perhaps 10 minutes from the train station.
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie
I'll call them and see what they say
Iwaill definately check out that link as looks like a great idea
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok that service looks great. Does it save quite a bit of time doing it that way? i get the impression that KLIA is quite a way from the city?
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Smeagol,

Just hung up with MAS reservation Bangkok. They said that if the BR flight is delayed and you miss your MAS flight then they "might" move you to a later flight but it will depend on your booking code. I guess the more expensive the MAS ticket is the better the chance of them moving flights for you.
Sep 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman
Thank you so much for that, very much appreciated! I think i am going to take your advice (and Kathies and Bobs) and book the later flight. There are too many variables, i want to book airport transfers at KLIA but as its touch and go with the 17:00 i could end up missing those as well.
The BF will not be best pleased about the layover but lets face it BKK is not a bad place to hang around!!!
Does anyone know if they do any of those purchase lounge access like i read about for KLIA think you pay for a couple of hours entry.(as i dont think my biz ticket for Eva from LHR will allow me in their lounge at BKK ??)
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Ok have answered my own question i can pay to access lounges at BKK there are two both called Lois taverner(sp) but one is called lois taverner CIP gold!!! (and ther is also one in terminal 2. Anyone know tyhe difference?

Although am kind of thinking, if i land from LHR OFF an EVA flight on a biz ticket - say i wanted to use their showers and lounge (like people do when they arrive in London say and then go to a business meeting) would i be able to use the lounge??

If its going to be awkward will pay the £40 to access the other lounge
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:44 AM

Smeagol,

There's a Louis Tavern lounge which is air-side but I don't really like it too much. Are you a gold member of any airline mileage club? Even a platinum credit card member can sometime use certain lounge. I'll ask around and see which lounge you can use with which card etc.

http://www.airportthai.co.th/airport...es.asp?lang=en
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:12 AM

We post at the same time! Anyways check this thread from flyertalk - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...+lounge+tavern

Hope this help.
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman as ever appreciate your help.
I used to get a priority pass with my black Amex but gave it up last year as i really didnt think the card was value for money, which is typical as it would have come in verrrry handy now.

Whilst i am happy to pay Biz class tickets for my long haul, which would normally solve the problem not really wanting to spring for biz class from BKK to KUL and i really am trying to keep some of the costs down this trip (or do i really mean save more for shopping at say MBK!!!!!)
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Smeagol, the car transfer from KLIA into KL is about an hour. Taking the train and limo cuts that time in half.

It's probably worth pricing a Biz ticket on MAS from BKK to KL. Last time I did this, the price difference was very little and it ended up paying off well as our return flight had a delay and we were stuck in KLIA for 6 hours... but got to use the Biz lounge with free-flowing champagne (Charles Krug) and a spa!
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM

kathie...she needs no encouragement for either the champagne nor for the spa!!
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Kathie have checked out the prices (and these are only one way!!!)
Economy £210 Biz £595!!! its just too much of a difference (as i really need to bring this holiday in under budget)

And Bob you are right i really don't need encouraging where champagne is concerned!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO