Is Thailand really for me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending many hours reading the posts I am now questioning if we should go to Thailand this summer. We have non refundable tickets departing (from usa) early July 6th 2004.It would be a trip with my husband and I. We normally go away 1x a year leaving kids behind. We like some adventure, quiet and an opportunity to enrich our selves through museums ect.. I realize that I am not that interested in seeing touristy sites with indiginious people selling their crafts, or riding on an elephant (terrifing). We have traveled Europe (love Italy) and china, but feel tired and really don't want to work that hard. A beach island looks good as well as time in Bkk. we normally LOVE cities, yet after reading about the poor air quality, the constant heat and the difficulty in navigating through a day in Bkk I wonder if we will get too discouraged. I am wondering if I have what it takes to really get something out of this trip?? By the way we are plannning to stay at the Penninsula in Bkk.I am sorry if I affend anyone, I guess I just need to hear from those who have been to Thailand and can understand my concerns.We need rest and relaxation with out the harsh conditions that I have read about. If anyone can suggest an itinerary and special lodging for 13 nts. I would appreciate it. At this point we are thinking 5 nts. Kol Samui 3 nts. Angor Watt Cam.and the last 5 nts in Bkk. any thoughts? ps I can't change my air tkts. to a "cooler" time of year, if we don't go we simply lose the tkts. Since this is our yearly get away and we are not big shoppers the budget is not an issue especially in Thailand.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Yes, Thailand is for you. You can do everything or nothing and have a great time. We've been to Europe a lot and once we went to Thailand, we keep returning. You're staying on the river in BKK, it's amazing. We don't shop much, but we do love to eat. For a light vacation, you can see things in the morning and relax at the pool and get a massage in the afternoon. A few days in BKK and then to a beach, you'll find it much more relaxing than Europe, even Italy.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Yes, absolutely go to Thailand. We went in July and it was one of the most memorable trips we have taken. Be sure to check out the National Museum in Bangkok on one of the days when they have a tour in English. There are also many other fine sites in Bangkok. As long as you plan your itinerary ahead, you will not have to work that hard while there. The Thai people for the most part are wonderful and helpful. They will go out of their way to make your trip a pleasant one. I really didn't think the air quality was that bad. We did try to avoid walking and using tuk-tuks as much as possible. We had a very relaxing time on Koh Samui.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

ok- this makes me feel better,should I stick with my original idea? could someone please help me out with Itinerary and amount of days in each place, and in what order? We will arrive on the 8th of July.
Craig,
I read your comments on Laem Set Inn, how rustic is this place? It sounds wonderful. Should I attempt A. Wat Cambodia?
How many days in Bkk- thanks all you are saving me sleep!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM

We loved Laem Set Inn. If you can get the Lipa Noi "honeymoon suite" you will have wonderful accomodations and privacy, great views. When we were there in July, the place was almost empty - you can do what you want to do at your own pace - very relaxed - great restaurant too. The weather was perfect. We have not done Angkor Wat but you should - you have the time and you should go now while you have the opportunity - many feel it will be completely taken over by tourism in the near future. Do Koh Samui last - that worked for us - a perfect relaxed end to a great trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM

STICK WITH IT....as said above you will love it!!..the penn is just what you will need...it is an oasis as are several other riverfront hotels...it is probably the nicest!! the rooms are fabulous,,, the pool is nice and relaxing...there are good massages and other beauty treatments...next door at the oriental's spa you can get even better treatments...the restuarants are varried and all very nice....
the river is exciting and never ending in entertainment...

venture out across the river to shop at river city shopping complex and in the small mall behind the oriental hotel...all are upscale shopping experiences....

plan to spend 1/2 day at the grand palace...either on your own or with a guide....you can easily do it on your own...take a boat up the river and it will drop you off right next to the palace....ignor people who tell you it is closed....

all of this talk makes it sound much worse than it is...when people approach you being friendly, smile and keep walking...don't sotp and in some cases don't answer their questions...just say no thank you....they are harmless touts, trying to make a living off of tourists...

the pollution is not all that bad...

to avoid pollution i do not walk much ...i take a/c taxis or the sky train almost everywhere....we use the yellow and green taxis most often...

in cambodia i would suggest that you stay at the sofitel, or even the grand hotel (far too expensive)...make sure that you arrange for a guide and driver in advance...it will make all the difference in your stay...

siem reap is a dusty old fashioned place but the ruins are out of this world...you will not believe it!!!

in samui you might be best at one of the major hotels like the meridien....

go and have fun....

remember bring loose fitting, natural fibre clothing and comfortable shoes and socks...cotton is best...

if you have forgotten anything you can easily pick it up in bkk...it is very westernized in many ways...
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM

I completely agree that you can make your Thailand visit as busy or as relaxing as you choose on any given day. Go. Enjoy. You'll easily have the flexibility to do whatever makes you happy at the time, including doing nothing.

The only additional comment that I can make is about Angkor. If you really "feel tired and don't want to work that hard," you might want to reconsider going there unless you're prepared, if need be, to hole up in a 5-star hotel. Visiting the Angkor sites requires a lot of walking, some of it up and down difficult steps. And it's made more difficult by the heat and humidity.

So, unless you absolutely love ruins, a visit to Angkor might seem more like work than fun in your present condition of needing rest and relaxation to charge your batteries. Staying at a luxury hotel can provide the safety margin you might need. But if you think you're going to spend most of your time in the hotel, you might as well do it in Bangkok and avoid having to hassle with airports and transfers.

I say this as objectively as I can, recognizing that for me Angkor is unbelievably enjoyable and is otherwise not to be missed.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Thailand is a all time favourite for me, simply because there is something for everyone at any time of the year.

If I were you, I would cut one day from Bangkok and put it to Koh Samui (personal preference for the beach), so that you can really relax at the end of your trip. I would not cut Angor Wat. It's amazing and rewarding. Just remember not to explore the sites between 12 noon to 3 pm when the sun is just over your head.

One reminder for your visit to the Palace in Bangkok: no shorts; no sleeveless tops.

Enjoy. You will have fun!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 02:28 AM

I say don't come.. your not going too get too much out of it if your sheltered in a resort all day. the point of going too exotic locations is checking out what makes them diffrent from what we are used too.

Angkor is one of the greatest sites in the world but it involves effort too get around. and Siem Reap is pritty boring.

but your post is kind of confusing you mention you are adventurous and have already been too china. Thailand is actually easer too get around then China.

I think this is all just pre trip jitters.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM
T2D

I have travelled to Thailand many times over the last 10 years and to me it is the most wonderful place in all the world. Personally my favourite time of the year is December when Bangkok is cooler and dry, I found Bangkok too hot in June/July with some heavy bursts of rain. Even if you do decide to travel in July the taxis are cheap and air conditioned so travelling about should not be too much of a problem except for the traffic of course. You could use the sky train, which is very clean and safe and air conditioned. Although whatever the weather Bangkok is fascinating. If you are going for only 13 days I would not try to cram to much in, as you will be suffering from jet lag the first day. I agree The Royal Palace simply cannot be missed, I go there on every visit. I also would recommend a visit to Jim Thompsons House, Wat Po and a trip up the river. Also I would recommend a dinner cruise on the river, I usually go on the Loy Nava, which I book directly on the net. I would spend 5 days in Bangkok and 8 days on a beach. If you are going in July the east side of Thailand has the best weather, Koh Samui, Hua hin etc. If you visit http://www.travel-2day.com they have free travel guides which contain a wealth of info
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Get Ratt as your driver/guide. Get her in the mornings to take you to all of the sites mentioned. Believe me it makes all the difference in the world to have her pick you up and take you to all these places. She stays with you , has cool drinks and shields you with an umbrella- all this for about $5.25/hour- In the heat of July you will thank me for this advice!
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Hi

I say go Even if you might run into some people iin Bangkok that tries to rip you off and even if it is hot and sticky, it is still a pretty great city. My wife and I have been to Thailand twice on vacation and we have had a great time there. I have posted trip reports and pictures from our trips on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there.

I'm sure you will have a great trip...give us an update when you get back home

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:54 PM

My wife and I loved Thialand. We are going back in October. From your post, yes, I think you will like it.

I can advise you to schedule your trip with Bangkok at the beginning. Things open early and stay open very late. You can easily deal with any jet lag in BKK. In the middle of your trip try other places. (We are going to Angkor Wat in Cambodia this time.) At the end of your trip, hit the beach to unwind.