Honeymoon in Thailand

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Thailand

Hi! I am trying to plan a honeymoon in Thailand and will be arriving in Bangkok July 3rd in the afternoon, departing early AM on the 15th. I know it's probably not the ideal time of year to go ('monsoon season')... but I want to make the most of it, and not cram in too much. The original idea was to do Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket, but I was worried that this might be too much. I narrowed it down to Bangkok 4 days, Phuket for 8.

However, Thai Air has a promotion of 3 legs of domestic travel for $170: Bankgkok to Phuket, Phuket to Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai to Bangkok. I would love to do 3.5 days Bankgok, 5 days Phuket and 3.5 days Chiang Mai. Is this worth doing or is it too much travel in a short period of time? What are the best things to do in each city and do you know how bad the weather can be in early July? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you...
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I would skip phuket -- first because it could be anywhere in the world and second because the weather is not great in July. If you want a beach I'd go elsewhere and a lot closer to home. Thus, I would go to bangkok and northern thailand. If you want a resort -- head to anantara or one of the other resorts there. Here's what I'd do:
July 3,4,5- Bangkok
July 6, 7, - Chiang Mai
July 9, 10, 11, 12 -- Anantara or other resort
July 13, 14 - bangkok
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your response! is the weather that hideous? a family member gave us a week of their time share and i was able to exchange it for a week in phuket. i really want to make use of the week and knew i was definitely open to just going for a couple of days. i called the time share ppl and am trying to switch it for a week in bangkok instead -not that i would stay a whole week there either. is the weather in northern thailand better than the south? we love the beach, but can skip it if it isn't worth it!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Phuket couldn't be anywhere in the world in anyones imagination. Maybe gloria went to Phuket florida!!!!!

Your option of the Thai Air promotion looks good to me.

Yes it will be the wet season down in Phuket in July,,,,,but hey,,,,,it's no big deal. Sweltering hot then wonderful refreshing rain for a bit. It's great, and not too many tourists.

I can help with hotels and things to do if you decide to visit Phuket, but really you need to look at this site for the BEST Phuket advice

http://jamie-monk.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM

It is the rainy season in Phuket in July. All things being equal, you'd be better off in Ko Samui, Hua Hin or another Gulf beach. In any case, I would definitely NOT spend 8 days at a beach. Thailand is a wonderful country. The beaches are tourist oriented and not very Thai. I would spend 4 days max at a beach. BKK or Northern Thailand are both wonderful and can be very relaxing. Gloria's Anatara recommendation is good. You seem to have 12 days in Thailand. You can do 3 locations easily or 2 in a relaxed fashion. If you give a budget, we can help with hotels. There are wonderful hotels is all ranges.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Although it is rainy season, it is not typically pouring down rain all day evey day, but more like humid with afternoon/evening rains. We've been to Thailand twice in early August (also rainy season) and found it great. A little afternoon rain is nice we think.

I wouldn't spend a week in Phuket when you only have 4 other days to work with. I prefer your original plan. But I wouldn't eliminate it entirely based on weather or tourists. July is low season, and perhaps instead of the time share, you could get a very good price on a very luxe place that would be out of range during high season.

With the Thai Air Discover Thailand Pass, you can fly Chiang Mai to Phuket non-stop once a day and it counts as one leg. But, there is no Phuket - Chiang Mai non-stop, so that would be two legs in that direction. So, do it the other way...
BKK - CNX (Chiang Mai)
CNX - HKT (Phuket)
HKT - BKK

Chiang Rai is a great suggestion, so if you wanted to substitute that for Phuket it would be easy. We are going to the Anantara in August.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM

is the time share at the marriott in phuket?....if so i would spend the time there or most of the time....it is fantastic.....if it is elsewhere i would be much more skeptical....i would have to check it out very carefully....

i like to start and finish in bkk usually....a few days each...

the first few days you are usually quite tired and need to adjust to the heat and humidity so you really don't do too much quite honestly, so its best to pick one of the riverside hotels that have nice pools: marriott, sheraton, peninsula or shangri-la.....vedge out and relax...because of the heat, you will think you are at the beach...

i don't like chiang mai so i cannot suggest you go there, but others love it.....it is just another low rise big city....

other beach options are hua hin and jontiem beach near pattaya or koh chang....samui is another option and quite nice but thai does not fly there, only bkk air....
hua hin is a drive from bkk as is jontiem....

you luck out as prices in thailand are the cheapest in july....
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM

I've been to both Phuket and Samui in July. I had rain in both locations! I'd go to Phuket. If it rains, you can find things to do to occupy your time. I agree with other posters here that the beaches in Thailand are NOT like beaches "anywhere"...

Carol