Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

is it necessary: girls long skirts in south east asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, im taking my family to south east asie for new year and i have young kids, is it true that even they need to be totally covered up for temple visits? if so i am not too worried about my son becuase he can just sport some linen trousers but my daughter is very against long skirts, i showed her this page earlier http://www.twenga.com/price-girls-long-skirt.html and she scoffed at it! shes far too grown up for her age!!
does anyone have any reccommendations? i am happy to pack her case without the skirts as long as i can get hold of something suitable out there... has anyone been recently? im sure they make good money selling temple appropriate clothing to tourists in the streets outside but i dont want to risk that, id love her to see all the culture the country has to offer.
thanks eveyone, so excited otherwise!! feel free to just tell me how beautiful cambodia is!!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM

one good word to remember: sarong
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

why sarong? is she able to wear those in the temples? she'd be fine with that cos theyre slightly see through so they would satiate her need to be not totally covered up!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM

For "working wats" (not ruins) she needs to have her shoulders covered and to be covered to her knees. A sarong is fine, but consider that the sun in Cambodia is very strong, and she may want to cover herself against getting sun burned.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM

So, a sarong solves the temple problem. Even better, your daughter can buy a couple herself. See a temple? Whip out the sarong. Exit temple: remove sarong. Everybody happy.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a sarong for day wear. Mine keeps falling off. It's not a pretty sight.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Yes... dogster in a kilt is quite a sight!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM

You indicate that your children are young. I am not entirely sure that young girls below about 10 or 12 (pre-puberty) have the same dress requirements as those which apply to women. In addition, shorts on men and boys are also usually not permitted in some of the major temples, like the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok. But again, I belive young children are exempted. Otherwise, I would agree that just a simple sarong/pareo which covers the knees for both of them is fine. It can go right over the shorts and be removed after visitng the temple. You probably should have one for each of your kids, regardless of sex. (And one for yourself and husband.) Then ask at each temple if you don’t see a sign. Covered shoulders on women may also be required, but short sleeves or cap sleves are fine, it is tank tops and tube tops that are the concern.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

wow, thats great information, thanks alot. now tha you mention it i do remember reading somewhere that you kids are exempt, my son is coming up to 10yrs old so i think he would fall into the 'exempt' category but my daughter is 12 and looks a little older so id rather play it safe with her, i certainly dont want to cause any offence... thank you all so luch, Im so excited to get over there!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Angkor Wat and other temples in the area do not have the same requirements as working wats with monks. However, we were told on our last visit that mini skirts were banned for people climbing up to the top level at Angkor. As the steps are very steep its a fairly sensible requirement. If you visit a working wat, which I'd recommend, then the shoulders and knees requirements do apply. I would not think it was worth worrying to much about in Cambodia. Longish shorts (and plenty of sunscreen) would be fine.

You did not say where you were going in Cambodia, but if you are visiting Battangbang, the children would probably love the bamboo train.

Yes, Cambodia is beautiful as are the people. Have a great holiday and if you've got any other questions feel free to ask.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Top level of Angkor Wat you will require sleeves and also longer shorts/skirt. You are climbing stairs so a skirt would not be appropriate anyway. Elsewhere shorts and tops are fine as long as they are not revealing or provocative but then we are talking about a child and I would assume that most sensible parents would not dress their child in this manner anyway
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks alot, especially silverwool, ive read about the bamboo train, can you tell me more about it? i only found very vague information but i think youre right, from the sounds of it the kids would love it.
going on jan 1st so no new years hangovers for us!!
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 03:07 AM

We took the bus from Siem Reap to Battangbang and were met at the bus station by a very enthusiastic tuk tuk driver who we booked for a country tour ($15 - $18US from memory for about 7 - 8 hours) Visited a couple of temples, (one pre anghorian) killing cave, villages, village mushroom factory, etc and the bamboo train which was extra. The French had a railway system which was discontinued during the Khmer Rouge era. The locals built small flat bed trains out of bamboo, chinese and Russian tank wheels and small Chinese motors. They use them for carting their rice and other produce to market as well as giving tourists rides. The first time i went the driver was 9 or 10 year old girl and her two younger brothers. (I think) Earlier this year we had a teenage boy as the driver. Its all very basic - if you meet another train coming towards you, both stop and the two drivers lift the lighter one off the tracks the other goes past and then the two drivers put it back on the tracks and you continue. My traveling companion was 74 and loved the train.

You can also go to Battangbang by boat but the river was too low in July and it was about an 8 hour trip. I've done the boat trip and enjoyed it but both Saveth, my usual tuk tuk driver in SR and my daughter (who lives there) were adamant that it was not a proposition at that time.

From Battangbang we took the bus to Phnom Penh. Your children would have an opportunity to try some of the local delicacies (or not!) at meal stops. Deep fried spiders and crickets are an acquired taste.

How long are you in Cambodia and where are you planning on going?
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM

Hi there,
Just thought I'd add my thoughts. I've travelled a bit in SE Asia and am conscious of dressing repectfully in other people's cultures. At the same time the heat and humidity don't make that easy. A few years ago I found some long cotton pants, when I say cotton, they are very very light, what we would call cheesecloth, not sure what it's called elsewhere. I found them unbelievably light, airy, cool and comfortable and covered my legs. Teamed with a long sleeve top in a similar fabric, I am covered and cool.
Since then I've not been able to find any in Australia so took the pair I had with me to Vietnam earlier this year, found a tailor in Saigon and had another 6 pairs made - so am sorted for a while I think! The tailor had a wide range of colours and they cost about $USD 35 each - could probably get cheaper in Hoi An and I didn't have a long time in Saigon so didn't shop around. As the fabric is a bit translucent,I selected darker colours.
Hope this may be of use to someone.

Cheers
OzJane