Sleeveless dresses or tops?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen posts advising not to wear sleeveless because of the sun and also in the temples. Is there a problem with it on the street otherwise? Most of my summer outfits are seeveless and I am used to sunny, hot humid weather. I know many say they feel cooler covered up but I don't. I just don't want to offend anyone. We will be on a tour of Vietnam, Cambodia and then a week in Bangkok. I'm considering bringing some Rayon dresses because I find them cooler than wearing capris but they need to be dry cleaned. What could I expect to pay per dress? I have some cotton skirts that fall just below the knee. Is that an ok length for temples? Thanks to all that answer.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I would not bring anything along that needs to be dry cleaned. Buy some cotton dresses or skirts in SE Asia, they are very inexpensive. Skirts that fall below the knee are fine for temples, You will need short sleeves in temples. Sleeveless dresses or tops will be ok outside of temples as long as they are modest - not strappy tank tops.

I wear light, loose long pants or dresses and short-sleeved tops. I do find them cooler than having skin exposed to the intense sun.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I was in Bangkok this past April and changed my clothes three times a day! They were soaked with perspiration after just a few minutes outdoors. I'd agree that it would be best to stick with lightweight cottons.

As far as sleeveless goes, I assume it would be okay. However, I noticed that even the younger girls dressed more modestly -- low-rise jeans but with longer t-shirts and short sleeves. I did not see any bare midriffs or spaghetti-strap tanks at all.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Judy, your observations are consistent with mine. And mileaday might note that both Cambodia and VN are much more conservative than Bangkok.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM

sleeveless is fine except in most temples and in the extreme sun...remember you are near the equador as well and sun is hotter and more intense...a lite wrap is how my wife handles temples if she is sleeveless...she keeps it in her tote...it comes in handy for excessive a/c which is a problem sometimes in bkk...

my wife says that maybe the rayon dresses would be ok, but the dry cleaning issue is not...totally unreliable in bkk, never mind the other places...and expensive...
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM

When I was touring Vietnam in 2001, a lady with us wore a sleeveless blouse. She was quietly asked by our tour guide not to wear sleeveless tops!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I keep a light-weight sarong in my daypack and use it as a shawl if I am wearing something sleeveless. I can also use it a sarong, a pool cover-up, or spread it on the ground for a picnic, so it is well worth bringing! And as Rhkkmk noted, it can come in handy on the airplane, restaurants, evening walks, etc. if it is too cool. When folded, it takes up very little room.