Search

Clothing in HK, SR, BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing in HK, SR, BKK

Hi Fodorites

We are sorting through our summer clothing here in the Twin Cities where it's 20 degrees F.

I cannot keep straight what clothing is appropriate for our March trip to Hong Kong, Siem Reap, and Bangkok.

Which of the following are OK in each place? We would like to dress respectfully.

A. Shorts/skirts at or slightly above knee
B. Skirts/shorts below knee
C. Sleeveless shirts (not strappy tank tops)
D. Open-toed shoes for dinner (I've read these are not ok at some nicer restaurants in HK and BKK?)

Any other tips?
We're trying to pack light so we can bring more donations for Ponheary and Lori!

Thanks in advance.
Liz
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I don't know of any restaurants in HK or BKK that don't allow open-toed shoes. Certainly there are places that don't allow people wearing sports sandals or flip flops in, but nice open-toed shoes or sandals are fine.

In general, shorts are not approppriate in any of the places you mention. Yes, you'll be tolerated in Bangkok and Siem Reap in shorts, but it's not considered city wear in Bangkok and is not especially practical in Siem Reap. In Siem Reap you'll be most comfortable in long, light pants. You want protection from the sun. In Bangkok, you won't be allowed into wats if you are wearing shorts (or capris) or sleeveless tops and won't be allowed into the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha if you are wearing flip flops. While the wats at Angkor are no longer active wats, they still have consecrated Buddha figures tended by Buddhist monks and nuns. Out of respect for this, I dressed in Siem Reap as I would anywhere for entering wats (that is, long light pants and shirts with at least a short sleeve).
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Hi Tim and Liz,
Kathie is well informed as always.
For Hongkong shorts are useless. Because it can be pretty cold there in March, especially later in the day.
For Bangkok as a big city shorts even during the day are looking ridiculous at least in my opinion. Anyway, many tourists do. But regarding temples look at Kathies advice.
Shorts for Siem Reap town, why not?
For the old temples nearby I would wear jeans or similar stuff and good shoes. Not because of the monks and nuns. But there is some climbing and rough foot paths etc., if you want to see more as just Angkor Wat.
Have a nice trip!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I expect you'll find jeans much too hot unless you are acclimated to wearing jeans in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you may be surprised by the weather in HK. I posted a similar question a few days ago - assuming I would need to take light weight/warm weather clothing.

The answers really surprised me. Here is the thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35102624
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses!

We will probably bring one pair of dark denim each as our first stop is Tokyo. So we'll have them just in case HK is cool as well.

I have reviewed my summer wardrobe and found three short-sleeved linen shirts (one white, one navy, one light pink), one slightly below the knee black linen skirt, one pair long tan linen pants, black capri pants, a long black wrap-around skirt (not very breathable though) as well as a few light knee-length dresses. I really do not have any shorts other than those for my workouts, so I won't bring any.

We haven't looked at Tim's clothing yet but I know he has/ will bring at least one pair denim, one pair long khaki shorts, one pair of tan linen pants and one pair of black pants.

I think I may need to start with choosing our shoes and build up from there. Luckily I have five weeks to think about all of this!

Thanks again-- now off to a fantastic Asian fusion meal. Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Liz
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Hi, we have travelled alot in Asia including BKK and Siem Reap and wearing long shorts/capris seemed to be what everyone was wearing,except in temples.. ..If i would have worn long pants in Siem Reap,i would have scalded to death...

Anyways, that is my opinion...i am totally respectful to other cultures, but capri's and long shorts are totally acceptable...except in temples where long pants must be worn...And restaurants in BKK...pants or capri's are a better option than shorts...

I would not wear short shorts anywear in Asia or tight or low tank top/t shirts. But loose fittng tank tops and t shirts are fine.

I am really not sure why people think not to wear capri's in BKK...I recall almost everyone i saw, including men wearing capris???

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Capris are not allowed in the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha.

You can wear capris in Bangkok if you wish. They are ok for many places. All the men and women in Bangkok wearing capris??? I can't say that I have ever seen capris for men... I also wouldn't wear long shorts in Bangkok. I have certainly seen people do it, but I really error on the side of being respectful of the culture. I also want to be dressed appropriately to visit a wat at any time in Bangkok or to stop at a very nice restaurant for lunch.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Kathie, when we were in BKK a few years ago..we stayed at the Marriott Resort and Spa on the river...we had noticed how everyone was wearing capri's....yes men wear capri's also (although they are called something else)..

Now maybe i am talking more of 30ish to 40is year old travellers...

I am just trying to make a point that we travel to Asia almost every year...and have never had a problem wearing capri's or bermuda shorts...

I also respect all cultures and have never been looked down upon because i wore capri's, that is just silly!! As capri's almost come down to the ankles.

And yes i know u can't wear them to the the Grand Palace...but we also stopped in nice restaurants in BKK and Saigon and Singapore and HKG and many other Asian cities and Middle Eastern cities and have never felt like we were breaking any type of travel code...

Maybe it's just me...but i just don't get it?? Even our friends from India wear capri's when we go out to dinner with them and they live in India..

Anyways, i am not trying to argue, just to make some sense out of this??

To me.... cotton capri's and cool t shirts are the best clothes for all of Asia...And if u wanna dress them up...just put on a nice blouse, a nice pair of shoes and some jewelry...and u have a nice outfit!!

Well that is my 2 cents!!

And again am not trying to argue, just making my point as i would hate to see people bring the wrong clothes on a holiday and feel uncomfortable...as i have done that before..

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Tracy, Ah, perhaps a just a difference in terminology... Capris that come almost to the ankle should be fine anywhere except the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha. (I'd call them cropped pants as opposed to capris.) And if you are talking about just shorter than long pants for men, then I know what you mean (I'd never heard pants worn by men called capris), and they seem fine.

I have to say I find Bermuda shorts in the city not appropriate, though I have seen people (tourists) wear them. I also felt that people at the Marriot resort and spa were more casually dressed in general. That's fine for staying at the resort, but I just wouldn't wear shorts in the city. As I said, I tend to be conservative in my dress in Asia. I've been going there for more than 20 years, so I'm older than you are which may also explain part of the difference.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:59 PM

HI again Kathie..that's okay anyways!! Eventhough i am in my 40's i have been going to Asia since the early 90's and i too dress as conservatively as possible, but i find the heat so intense in Asia that i find the best thing for me is capris and t's!! (that's why i was so glad when they came back in style)

But on the other hand, if going anywhere religious or in the back country, i cover up totally...

I have tried wearing longs pants and shirts in India and i almost died..

But i guess that is enough on this topic..but i must admit, i have really nice comfy cool travel clothes!!!

Tracy

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:32 AM

Kathie,
its nice to be corrected. But jeans or similar stuff just meant clothes that can bear some tear and wear. Sure khakis or alike will also do.
By the way, I was wearing jeans in Africa, the Caribbean, South America and hot places in Asia. And as to see, I am still alive!
Since being a guy of the older generation| What are capris? Until now for me Capri was that in summer overcrowded touristic island close to Napoli.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Wolf and Tracey, isn't it interesting how we use the same words and mean something different? For the most part we're all saying similar things but the various words mean something different to each of us!
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
jgg

Just curious since no one really responded to the question about skirts. We are headed to Thailand and Siem Reap in late March. I was thinking that cotton skirts at or below the knee would be a good way to be culturally sensitive and stay cool. Is this not the case??

I realize this may not be the case in SR due to climbing temples and mosquitoes, but how about BKK??
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Skirts at or below the knee are prefectly fine for Bangkok. You are right, you wouldn't want them at Angkor.