Is Diwali worth it?

Aug 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Is Diwali worth it?

We are planning a trip to India in late October/November and have not yet purchased air tickets (from the US). We originally wanted to plan our trip to be there for Diwali, but I am finding much better flight options if we arrive just after Diwali. Is it worth it to go to lengths (much longer, and possibly more expensive flights) just to be there in time for Diwali? We would be in Bangalore with friends if we make it for the festival. Thanks!
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi, Being in India in Diwali is like being in the UK (where I am based) on Christmas. Its a family affair and there is a general festive atmosphere but unless you are celebrating it with friends or family there isnt much to look or see. Great time to go as its an experience but if you are saving a lot on the tickets then I would give it a miss. Check with your local friends too....Cheers
Sep 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM

I would second that, lord of the jungle. Diwali is celebrated quite differently in various parts of India. It is a great family affair, and a stay with a Hindu family is very interesting and worth the effort!
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Sep 19th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Diwali celebrated at The Golden Temple Complex, Amritsar in the Punjab is a never-to-be-forgotten sight.
The Hindus celebrate Diwali because Lord Rama came back, from an exile of 14 years, to Ayodhia, with his family.
The Sikhs celebrate diwali because the 6th apostle of the Sikhs, Guru Hargobind, got released 52 hindu rajas along with himself, from the Gwalior Fort in the 17th century. When he arrived back in Amritsar Baba Buddha the saint responsible for construction of the Golden Temple, lit the whole place up, to commemorate the occasion.
Sep 28th, 2005, 04:20 AM

dear vp singh, they are in banglore and amritsar is at the other end of india. please be practical!! or are u a travel agent trying to sell amritsar in diwali package??
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Dear lordofthejungle, is this forum just meant for buying & selling? Could we not add a bit to the general info for the sake of the reader?
And
Yes! i am a tour operator; and I make neither an apology for being one nor an attempt to hide my identity!
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:43 AM

apologises vp singh, you would have made the comment in good faith
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM

diwali is celebrated with much more enthusiasm in north india. Banglaore, in south india, might not be the bst place to enjoy diwali.