Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Puri or Mahabalipuram for India Excursion with Family

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (me, hubby, and kids 5&2) are travelling to India in February to visit extended family. We'll be in Bangalore, Bombay and Calcutta for family visiting. We have 4-5 days for an excursion that is just focused on sightseeing and relaxing. Given the logisitics we have narrowed to 2 options. Each with their own logistical pros and cons so I would rather not decide based on that. (Excursions from Bombay not an option)

Most importantly I would like some nice beach time (good weather, nice beaches, clean and pleasant), not super crowded, nice resort hotels.

My husband has been to Puri - although ages ago, and has friend in Chennai he might like to connect with, so bias is for the Chennai plus option.

Appreciate any input.

1. Tamil Nadu/Chennai: Spend time in Chennai/rent car/2-3 hour to Mahabalipuram (seaside)/2-3 hour
to Kanchipuram (temples)/ 2-3 hours to Pondicherry/Auroville...

2. West Bengal: 6-8 hour train to Puri...Puri has seaside...Jaganath Mandir then some other place not too far. Then back to Cal.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I've heard Puri is a disappointing beach. I'd suggest the Mahabalipuram option but add a night at Fisherman's Cove, the beach property on the way to Mahabalipuram. It is gorgeous and very chilled out. I think 2 nights in Pondicherry should prob be enough, 3 may be too much with kids as there is very little to do. In Pondicherry check out the new The Promenade Hotel - I've heard its lovely. Another cheaper option by the same owners is Le Dupleix.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Excellent to get some feedback. My sisterinlaw and I are having a bit of hard time figuring out how far Mahabalipuram is from Chennai.

We are also amending plans to pick one spot Mahabalipuram OR Kanchipuram - those in the group (extended family) who want to go on excursion to the other or Pondicherry can go from there vs moving all around.

Any recommendations on Hotels or which place to base.

Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Hi
Just returned from a holiday to India.
Mahabalipuram is a definite must for the adults and the kids.
besides the obvious historical value your children would enjoy the seaside atmosphere.
Unfortunately,we did not stay in Mahabalipuram - just a day excursion but had lunch and dinner at the Temple Hotel(wonderful)so perhaps you could enquire about accomodation options as well.
Happy travelling with the kiddies.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Anom - thanks for the thumbs up, my SIL in India (recently relocated) has been discouraged by many folks telling her the area is all a mess since Tsunami. We are still finalizing arrangements for the incountry excursion but leave for India in 8 days!