Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Planning on Visiting Tibet in 2008??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we had Tibet and Nepal planned as our next vacation to Asia in October 2008..I would like to start the planning process, but wonder if things will settle by then..or should we go to Jordan instead?

We were going to fly to Beijing and then take the train to Lhasa...tour around Tibet and then fly to Nepal..I hate to plan everything and then have to cancel..

So i need some support on what to do!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM

You simply cannot count on being able to get to Tibet by October. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

But you can still plan, but you cannot buy non-refundable plane tickets now. And have a backup vacation planned.

Things can change quickly in China. Latest news is that you need to show plane tickets and letter from tour or an invitation just to get a visa to China, and they're not issuing multiple entry one for now to westerners. Not just Americans.

They were planning to restart issuing permits to visit Tibet by May, but it's a week from May and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM

Like Ray, I don't think anyone can predict whether China will re-open access to Tibet by October. So I agree you should have a back-up plan. You could still visit Nepal (I'm headed there in October - this is the calmest Nepal has been in years!) And I loved Jordan - Petra is truly one of the wonders of the world.

The problem is how long to wait before making a decision. Personally, I don't think we'll know about access to Tibet in October until after the Olympics are over. I don't know if you are comfortable waiting that long to get tickets, hotel reservations, etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM

I was planning to go to Tibet in October but hadn't moved forward with any concrete plans (luckily). I'm not sure now what I'll do. I doubt that the situation will change before the Olympics.

I'm also considering Nepal. With the calming political situation and the closing of TIbet, Nepal is seeing a large influx of tourists this year. It's probably best to book as early as possible.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

hmmm...that's what i thought everyone would say!!!..I would hate to go to Nepal without seeing Tibet, as the whole trip just falls together so nicesly combining the 2...

But i wonder how long one could leave the booking of the international tickets..and hotels..

I guess i better start thinking about alternate plans!!!!

Although i would still love to go to Nepal...and have wanted to go there for years, and we were booked to go there a few years ago, when all the violence started there, we cancelled!!

Oh well....we will see what happens.

Kathy have u booked anything in Nepal yet and where will u be visiting???
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM

I haven't yet booked anything in Nepal. I have my flights in and out of Bangkok and my Bangkok hotel booked.

I'm planning to stay in the Kathmandu Valley the whole time. We'll visit Patan and Backtapur and Kathmandu and various Buddhist and Hindu sites. I was last in Nepal almost 15 years ago. I'll be very interested to see how it's changed.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay thanks Kathie..I feel panicky that i haven't booked anything at all yet!!!! But if i don't where i am going i guess it is a little hard to boo!!

I will be curious to see what u think of Nepal after 15 years...

WE went to BKK in 1994 and then again a few years ago and could not believe, it was like a whole different city.

Well i guess i have some decisions to make..Nepal, Tibet and Jordan are all on the list for the next places to visit, so will have to figure something out...
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I mean a little hard to book, not hard to boo!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM

I'd be interested in your observations about the changes in Bangkok. I first visited Bangkok in the mid-1980s and have spent time there most years since. So I don't have a sense of dramatic changes (other than the Skytrain!).
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM

Hi,

We're leaving Tibet open. We will be in kathmandu the end of June. If things quiet down, we'll book something to Tibet for 6 to 8 days at a travel agency in Kathmandu. If not, we'll explore a little more of Nepal!

TracyB, you could combine Bhutan with Nepal, or Leh in India with Nepal.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Dr Ralph..My husband's dream is to go to Tibet, so although we would like to go to Bhutan...it would be a shame to go that far and not see Tibet!!

Anyways, we may go to India on this trip as well, but have been there 5 times already..(and love it)...but we have friends in Goa, so we may go there at the end of the holiday. Leh would be great though, who knows what we may do!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Tibet borders have been closed to foreigners since mid March but the good news is that they are due to open on 24 June 2008. Flights to Lhasa and hotels are already booking up quite quickly and we are hoping that after the long "dry tourist" period on the Tibetan plateau, that the influx of tourists will restore the financial woes of many Tibetans.

I would suggest that you ensure that you book with a company that will provide refunds if your tour to Tibet has to be cancelled through borders being closed, or that you have a back-up trip as an option in Nepal. If you are a mountain trekker, then you can go to remote mountain regions of Nepal where a lot of Tibetan settlements are found.