Insuring Luggage

Search

Insuring Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insuring Luggage

Do airlines no longer offer insurance on bags? I called EVA and they said they don't. Think that's true? I've never tried, but always thought you could for some reason.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Not sure what you are asking here Lori. Is it whether the airlines will sell you insurance? Or whether they will cover lost or damaged luggage up to a certain amount? As far as I know they still cover up to various limits depending on whether your travel is domestic or international with many exceptions (jewelry, electronics and other valuables).
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Craig

There is no way around me having some high ticket items in my checked luggage. If my bags are lost, or the stuff stolen, I'm SOL, even with the pittance they would pay.

I was thinking you could insure a piece of luggage over and above the allowance, but sometimes I make things up to suit my version of what a perfect world would be....

I will just have to pack it up, lock it up and hope my karma holds!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Various travel insurance policies provide coverage for lost or damaged baggage. You might check those. If you are still officially a US resident, a good starting point is www.insuremytrip.com.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM

What about shipping things? You can for sure insure a package you ship UPS or FedEx.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Do look into FedEx or DHL Lori. I know my hubby looked into it when we had that episode a few years ago that they stopped you taking any carry on in London. We weren't there but had a couple of trips coming up & wondered what we would do if the ban spread there is no way my hubby would check cameras but he felt OK about Fed Ex or DHL. We didn't have to do it in the end but it could be an option for you if you have things you are worried about.
J
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Cost for a 30# box is $160, so it's an option. I have had trouble getting regular mail delivered, but maybe Fed Ex is more reliable.

$160 may be cheaper than insurance, checking on some 3rd party options now.

Thanks as always for the helpful advise.

Kim brings up a good point....at what point am I not a US resident?

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Keep in mind that if you ship things internationally by Fed Ex then when it arrived at the destination country you will have to pay or be delayed by customs clearance.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Check your homeowners or renters' insurance policy, they may cover these items when lost travelling. Also, your credit card may offer it if you purchase airline tickets using the card. Finally, check travellers' insurance websites (e.g. health insurance), they may offer coverage. I believe that all airlines do provide coverage under the Geneva Convention, but as noted above, it is a small amount per bag and not true replacement cost.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Lori, Cicerone's point is a good one. I believe that both my Visa card and my AmEx offer additional luggage insurance (for free) when I buy my tickets with my credit card. Read the fine print on your card's website.

I don't remember airlines offering additional insurance for a fee, but if they think of it they probably will! Or maybe just make us pay for the insurance required by law...
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to work for an insurance company (homeowners/renters). We paid claims for lost luggage, (subject to deductible) but only AFTER the airline paid what they owed (usually an incredibly low fixed $ amount per pound or kilo).

There were limitations on certain items, such as jewelery.

It's certainly worth giving your homeowner's/renters insurance carrier a call before purchasing any additional coverage.