Lost luggage (to or from London) found in Houston dumpster

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost luggage (to or from London) found in Houston dumpster

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2753092
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I wonder how much remains undiscovered and winds up in landfills.

1. Carry on everything you need for two days (enough time to buy replacements).

2. Don't pack any high-value goods in checked luggage without loss/theft insurance.

3. Bon voyage!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM

"dozens" (of pieces) as in two, three, four (dozen) or more..really precise.

Of course, this might help answer the question posed on a thread a few days ago about "How does luggage theft work?"
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM

This is why I never check my luggage at the beginning of a trip. Going home I always check it to help make room for others who have carry on luggage. Who wants to have to go shopping for more clothes while on vacation? I certainly don't. I read about this earlier this morning and found it to be very disturbing.k Sandi thank you for posting the article.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In Paris, they just sent about 20 baggage handlers to prison for massive thefts that occurred in 2004. Baggage to and from the Middle East is indeed one of the main targets.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Madison just curious - how are you handling the restrictions on carry on liquids? Do you take the 3 oz ones and buy more? Do you take none and buy when you arrive? Are you using the new dry items available? Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM

For decades I have only carried the very small travel size bathroom supplies in my carryon and than buy replacements when and if I need them. I dislike having a heavy carryon bag. It just takes a few minutes to buy new supplies.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM

If you're really frugal (like Mme. Robespierre), you buy one travel size and then keep refilling it from a Costco-size stock bottle.

If one mini-bottle won't last a trip, she'll carry two.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Do you take the 3 oz ones and buy more? Do you take none and buy when you arrive? Are you using the new dry items available?"

yes, for some products
yes, for some products
and yes, for some products

But actually you really don't need to do any of the above. One can get quite a lot of stuff into that single quart-sized ziplok bag in 3 oz or smaller containers.

3 ounces is plenty big for many items and lots of travel sized cosmetics/lotions etc are .5 or 1 or maybe 2 oz.

I give packing demos/classes (147 people showed up at the last one a couple of weeks ago) and they were amazed at how little space the liquids/gels take (and how many you can squeeze in) when you plan well.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I don't use any liquid cosmetics, except if mascara is considered a liquid. What specifically are the cosmetic restrictions?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM

"What specifically are the cosmetic restrictions?"

it isn't just cosmetics - it affects all liquids/gels. Things like toothpaste, hair products, eye drops, chapstick, saline solution, mouthwash, woolite, etc etc.

You are limited to 3 oz or smaller containers and all must fit into a single 1 quart ziplok bag which is screened seperately. That is basically a sandwich sized baggie - a bit bigger but close.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM
P_M

Some airports allow NO liquids and gels at all. We learned this in September when we went through LAX on our way to HI.

We left from Austin carrying our liquids in a baggie, as required. We had a layover at LAX, and since my nephew lives in LA, we decided to leave the secured area to have lunch wtih him and his wife. When we came back thru security at LAX, they told us no liquids or gels are allowed. Instead of throwing out my stuff, I decided to check in my carry-on bag.

Sandi, I know you live in the DFW area, so you are OK. As of 2 weeks ago, DFW still allowed small amounts of liquids and gels, as described by janisj.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM

P_M is right - back in Sept there was huge confusion and it seems every airport had their own spin on the no-liquids rules.

But it seems things have settled down a lot and the TSA website does explain the quart baggie procedures.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM

good points, but it's also true that the rules in the airport from which you are departing may not be the same as the rules at the airport from which you will be returning home.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM

RE the thefts: it shouldn't take Inspector Morse to figure out what shift handled the luggage, and who was staffing it.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Curt - I buy the small plastic containers (they are clear with white screw on tops) from the beauty supply store and fill in creams, etc in them. I buy the 1 1/2 ounce size of hairspray so I can carry that on as well and everything fits inside the quart-size bag. Travel size toothpaste and deodorant and if I have to replenish along the way I do. I know it is easier to check in baggage but I don't want to have to worry if my baggage is going to be waiting for me or not. Return flight I am not as concerned that is why I do check in then
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

I know about the toothpaste etc, but do not know what types of cosmetics they may restrict to 3 oz. containers since none of mine are actually liquids, ie: Lancome dual-finish, blush, eyeshadows and pencils.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Lancome Dual Finish is O.K. because it's considered a powder. I had issues with my MAC Studio Tech which is also a compact foundation but has a creamy consistency -- this had to go in the ziplock.

Lipstick and lipgloss (and all lipbalms) have to go in the ziplock. Other than cream foundations and lipstuff, most women's make-up consist of powders and are O.K. in regular carry-on. The other stuff that gets "bagged" is cleanser, hair styling products, and sunscreen.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM

We've gone way OT, but I also use my extra contact lens containers to hold vaseline, Roche Posay sunscreen, acne gel, and eye make-up remover. Even on my 10 day trip, I never ran out of anything and I just bring two lens containers for all four products -- very convenient and I just top off when packing for the next trip. They take up very little room in the ziplock and I don't need as much shelf space at my sink once I'm at a hotel or apt.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I have the impression that the airlines consider lost luggage just a normal part of doing business. See http://tinyurl.com/ykngmz. If they had to pay $2,000 per lost bag they would get serious about protecting things entrusted to them, or go bankrupt.