Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

iPad and iPhone in Japan! US plug OK and no converter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving in 2 weeks for first trip to Japan from USA. I have received a great deal of good feedback. Looking forward to b'class on Singapore A380 with the Singapore Girls. Thanks everybody.

Hopefully, have simple question-------------I plan on taking my iPhone and iPad primarily to watch movies and for Skype (perhaps take moving pictures). We will be in Tokyo, Hakone and Kyoto. Can I simply insert my US plugs into any wall socket to recharge? In other words, no adaptor or converter required?

Thanks for help.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Your iphone and ipad charger is a converter, you just need a plug adaptor to be able to plug into the socket. In my experience, most hotels have adaptors you can borrow and some hotels even have US-type sockets so you don't need an adaptor. We carry a universal adaptor with us just in case.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM

http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com...er_guide.shtml

According to this chart, Japan uses USA-style sockets, so no adapter is needed.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM

The voltage in Japan is 100 Volt, which is different from North America (120V), Central Europe (220V) and most other regions of the world. As Kathie says your iPhone/pad charger is an adapter and will fit into the Japanese plug. I take my iPhone all the time and charge at will.

Japanese power outlets are identical to ungrounded (2-pin) North American outlets. While most Japanese outlets these days are polarized (one slot is slightly wider than the other), it is possible to encounter non-polarized outlets in some places. I haven't yet in 10 trips there and you probably won't in the three cities you are visiting.

Might see you around as we also leave for Japan two weeks from today.....unfortunately not on Singapore Air but on ANA which is not that bad.

Aloha!
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM

<<<The voltage in Japan is 100 Volt, which is different from North America (120V), Central Europe (220V) and most other regions of the world. As Kathie says your iPhone/pad charger is an adapter and will fit into the Japanese plug.>>>

Just to clarify, your iphone/ipad chargers do not need converters because they handle both voltages. You do not need a plug adapter because it's the same kind of outlet. Therefore, you are good to go
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Oooops.... Should have said converter not adapter
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM

>>>Leaving in 2 weeks for first trip to Japan from USA. I have received a great deal of good feedback. Looking forward to b'class on Singapore A380 with the Singapore Girls. Thanks everybody.<<<

Warm greetings, Philip, from warm SE Asia. Adding to the fine advice already dispensed, will offer my congratulations on forthcoming 'whale jet' business class rides with those sensational Singapore Girls! You are in for some sweet times, flying upstairs on an aircraft I love flying. (Mostly SQ's A380 SIN-HKG & SIN-NRT sectors for me.)

Now, if my memory serves correct from some of your earlier posts, you'll be flying LAX-NRT-LAX via SQ 11/12? If not already done so, will suggest booking your seat in the 'mini cabin' up front. I'm partial to rows 12 and 14. Also, 'Book the Cook' is a dining option for you. Of late, the ex-NRT offerings have been particularly fine. As always, stay abreast via the ever-evolving singaporeair.com/ and SIA's latest mobile app.

I'm very happy for you. Enjoy Japan and savour your rides!

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all repliers....

Started planning trip last Winter before earthquake. Was up in air until safety could be determined. Frequent travelers but first trip to Japan so appreciate your positive (I don't think I the only one tired of the tacky repliers) feedback. Thanks hawaiiantraveler for for sharing your expertise.

At first considered "package tour". Decided on independent travel. However, taking part of the edge off by hiring private guides in Tokyo and Kyoto. JTB Sunrise Nikko tour. Staying Tokyo American Club (private close to ANA InterContinental) and Hotel Mume ~ both know for assistance to new Japanese travelers. Don't know about Fujiya in Hakone.

ROBERT ~ looking forward to SQ A380 Singapore Girl experience. In 15A both ways. All other seats in that front section are booked. Any major problem? Used "Book the Cook" but some of the selections were unknown so stayed safe with fillet, stir fried pork, seabass and "eggs". May have to try the "fish bait" while in Japan. Should hide some plastic forks 'cause don't feel comfortable with chopsticks.

iPhone & iPad charged and ready to travel.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2039.html

This is the best guide I have seen teaching how to use chopsticks. Practice in the few days you have before takeoff.....you'll be a pro,lol

Your guides will ease you into the Japan scene and by the end you will be at ease. When in Kyoto check out Arashiyama.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

Really beautiful this time of year. The boat ride is really a treat too. Going there in a couple of weeks and probably trying the train ride to Sagano this time.

Since you are taking your iphone and ipad have you considered renting a moblie pocket wifi? Might be cheaper than an Intl data plan(if you were planning to use one). I usually rent a local phone through this site for Mrs HT while we are in Japan and will also rent a mini wifi from them on this trip

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/index.html

Their service is reliable and they deliver the phone to your hotel which will be waiting for you at check in and you put it into a supplied envelope with postage already on it into the mail box when you leave.

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back.

Aloha!
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 06:18 AM

>>>ROBERT ~ looking forward to SQ A380 Singapore Girl experience. In 15A both ways. All other seats in that front section are booked. Any major problem? Used "Book the Cook" but some of the selections were unknown so stayed safe with fillet, stir fried pork, seabass and "eggs". May have to try the "fish bait" while in Japan. Should hide some plastic forks 'cause don't feel comfortable with chopsticks.<<<

Greetings again, Philip. 15A, both ways, should be just fine for you. (To date, the only business class 'mini cabin' row I tend to avoid on SQ's 380s is Row 11.)

Hard to go wrong with any of SIA's Book the Cook offerings. And, if you enjoy the occasional glass of Champagne or wine, the onboard J-class selections have always been more than adequate for this occasional imbiber.

A memorable holiday to you!

robert