Inoculations-HK, Tokyo,Sing &Bali

Sep 17th, 2002, 10:10 AM
SB

Inoculations-HK, Tokyo,Sing &Bali

Visiting these 4 cities next month. Do any of them require inoculations?

Sep 17th, 2002, 01:05 PM
orgy7

depends on where your comming from

Sep 17th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Kathie

The only "required" innoculation is for yellow fever IF you are coming from a yellow fever area in the last 6 months. Otherwise nothing is required.

However, it is a good idea to have basic traveller's innoculations, including at least Hep A, typhoid, a tetnaus & diptheria booster, a polio booster. Read all about it at www.cdc.gov

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:54 PM
dko3tgk

In the past year and a half I've been to Bali once, SIngapore once and HK three times. I also went to Seoul and not Tokyo. I don't think I even caught a cough.
Except for Bali these are all very modern cities. I guess it does matter where you are coming from, but unless you stay in a jungle somewhere, you usually have nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm a little too carefree about this sort of thing.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:01 PM
Andrea

The places that you're visiting are low risk compared to other Southeast Asian destinations, but the risks are still there. I agree with Kathie and suggest you read the CDC website and evaluate the risks for yourself. Personally, I think the vaccinations are a very easy thing to do to prevent diseases that are relatively easy to catch through everyday behavior.

Many, many tourists visit these locations and don't get sick - but Hepatitis, tuberculosis, and other diseases are far more prevalent in the region than in the West, and it only takes ONE person with the disease to pass it on to you.