india transportation

Nov 24th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

india transportation

hi i will be flying into delhi, but will need to make my way over to kalimpong near darjeeling, but have some time to do it. whats the best way? thanks
Nov 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM

i think you need to fly from delhi to bagdogra airport and then drive it down from there.

you will get a taxi from airport, there seems to be taxi union there so price is fixed always
Nov 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Options really depend on your budget and time available. Colours is right, flying to Baghdogra then taking a taxi is one option. Another is landing in Calcutta (Kolkata) then taking the train.
Nov 27th, 2005, 02:39 AM

What does "some time" mean. Enough time to stop - enough time to go to Calcutta by train; thence to Darjeeling by train; and then to Kalimpong by shared taxi or bus?

It can be done if you want to do it.
Nov 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

i mean i will probably have 1 week to get to kalimpong. how long will the train take? is it safe? how much will it cost?
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Of course it's safe!! But the fact that you ask that question probably means that you should fly.

How much does it cost? Prices change - check it out for yourself on the Indian Railways web site. Or even better check out the wonderful man in seat61 site:

http://www.seat61.com/India.htm

As for the road section from Darjeeling to Kalimpong - it's a shared taxi - it won't be expensive. I did this journey years ago so I can't remember how much it was exactly; probably less than you would spend on a gourmet sandwich in your home country.

A week is a good amount of time for the trip. You could spend a couple of days in Kolkata, and a couple more in Darjeeling - both amazing places.

Or you could just fly and miss the whole lot.

Your choice - it is an adventure - one that thousands of visitors enjoy every year.

Happy travels.
Nov 28th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks fuzzy logic. from the sound of it...rails are the way to go. can't wait. thanks!
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM

We flew to Bagdogra from Calcutta and took a taxi to Darjeeling. Check out IndiaMike.com. for answers to most questions about India.
Nov 29th, 2005, 03:01 AM

Best of luck, Elbert! You might even consider stopping in Varanasi which is an absolute "must see" (as they say!).

I was less than precise in my route outline. From Kolkata you train it to Siliguri I think or New Jailpaguri. Wherever it is, you then change trains for Darjeeling. And I really hope on your behalf that the toy train still runs. When I took this journey the train to Darjeeling was a tiny steam train - it takes a long time as it winds up into the mountains. But it is one of the great railway journeys of the world. Stupendous.

I didn't stay long in Kalimpong - I was running out of time by then so left pretty quickly for Gangtok. My abiding memory of the place is of a cricket pitch on the edge of the small town - a level space obviously made with huge effort and commitment in the middle of all those mountains.

What takes you to Kalimpong?

Nov 29th, 2005, 03:06 AM

forgot to say - if you want totally up to date info - and cost is important - go to the Thorn Tree.

www.thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

All the best.
Nov 29th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

interestingly enough there is a gathering of believers that i am interested in visiting. apparantly 5,000 or so make it out there. though i hear lodging obviously is a problem! thanks all for the pointers!