Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India-South-8 days to go & NOT counting!

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I've packed & re-packed & packed again and now I will wait until D day morning until I repack!

Got a wheelycase full of bugspray & 2 tshirts, 2 pr capris, a pr black pants, 1 dressy linen shirt, 1 pr TEVAS, 1 pr sandals for nightwear, swimmers, small chamois towel, 2 prs knickers & 2 bras & 1 timberland rain jacket. Sub total wheely weight 6.8 kgs. PLUS my drugs for stomach bugs, headaches, colds, etc.etc. Total wheely weight 7.4 kgs. Will they let me carry on?

Getting very excited (seems I'm always in a state of excitement!) and have read my Footprint India from front to back, so I'm prepared for India (again!).

Seriously, nothing prepares one for India!

Gotta go take a pill to calm me down!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Hi Lyndie-just returned from Romania- for the evening -(literally! I was at a Romanian Embassy reception tonight with fantastic Romanian folk dancing, foods and their specialty- a very potent plum brandy called Tuica -most excellent-this plus local Romanian wine -I'll say this, the Romanians make good alcohol! A beautiful turn of the century drawing room and interesting discussion on politics and tourism made for a wonderful evening!)

But I digress: You know I'm looking forward with the greatest interest to your trip reports from India-please keep us posted while on the road, okay?

As for your packing, I wish I could pack like you, it would make things SO much easier! (haven't been able to do that, unfortunately!) And yes, definitely, with 7.4 kgs., and a 22 inch case, you should have no problem.

So go take that pill, girl, you got a week to go!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Hi Lyndie. I think the carry on limit is 18 lbs. but no one even bothered to weigh ours so you will be fine one way or another. The preparation issue is like this. You are to fight Lennox Lewis and think you have the best possible stragety. Then you get hit! -. Have fun.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Spygirl-what a life you lead! Romania sounds romantic. Maybe I'll get the old boy over there and he'll rediscover his libido!

Took pill and now too calm & cannot get organised. Have to prepay phone, credit cards, etc! Oh Well, who cares! I can taste those samosas!

jacketwatch-I love your analogy! SOOO RIGHT ON!

Thanks for the good wishes! Have fun you two!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM

i wonder if you will meet craig in india...he may be on his way home before you get there...bon voyage!!

bob
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:18 AM

Lyndie, you left out one important item in your packing.

It would only add about 68kg to your total weight... is that too much?

You wouldn't have to carry it.... I can walk for myself!

God bless and Godspeed! I don't suppose you'd have time to report in to Fodors every now and then while you're over there?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:29 AM

I sure hope you enjoy So. India. I will look forward to TR. I have heard it is much different from the No. where we have done most of our travels. Best of luck, Larry
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Bob-Sad that us forites don't have badges or tshirts to identify ourselves. Then again, might spoil our perceptions of each other! Craig and I will be ships in the night! Tks for the good voyage wishes! You've only got 3 months or so yourself! Happy planning!

Alan-68kgs-wow you'll fit in my BIG samsonite-only problem is I'm not taking it!!! Ha! Ha! You'll be there in spirit! I will certainly be posting (if possible) whilst we're away. Something to do before bedtime! Keep putting those bucks in the bank for your next trip! Many thanks for good wishes! Have fun!!!

Larry-will try to spend some time in Munnar as it is a hill station and much cooler than the coast in Kerala. I'm hoping we can explore some of the hill towns in Kerala-the areas sound divine! Will try to post regularly like Carol! but if not will do a report when we return! Already planning a return visit end of year if dollars hold out! Best of luck to you too!!

Have fun guys-only 6 more nighty nights!!! Wish I could calm down!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM

If you plan to travel in kerala,be careful in your dealings with TOURINDIA,trivandrum,Kerala.Their prices are atleast double the going rate,their boats are old and have no a/c and worst of all,these people are unethical and unreliable.Dono pay by cash,pay by credit card only.We were asked to prepay in cash and when the services were not provided,we had no recourse.Check with state govt travel offices,where the rec. are more reliable.GoodLuck!!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi raichand-I did answer a previous post of yours re your unfortunate trip in Kerala. There is a fabulous thread on www.indiamike.com regarding houseboats in Kerala. It is worth reading for future reference. Check out http://www.indiamike.com/india/showthread.php?t=3179
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Hi, Sorry to break in on this conversation. If you're looking for a house boat ride while in Kerala, I could recommend contacting the tour agency [I forgot their name], based in Basoto Lodge, Press Club Road, Ernakulam [Kochi]. They gave us a fantastic offer for a houseboat.