India Itinerary feedback - first timer!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI. My husband and I are going to India for the first time in January. I am 29 and he is 30. We wanted a mix of cities and culture and thought going to a tiger park was a great idea because last year we were in south east asia and after a while we wanted to see something other than a temple. Our original itinerary did not include udipur, but included jaiselmer. In order to incldue them both, we decided to make the end of our trip a little choppier, but we still have at least 2 nights everyone except for onenight in a village camp. Please let me know your thoughts on this itinerary. We are really excited!

1/9/07 TUES Arrive Delhi at 9:00 PM
1/10/07 WED Exploring Delhi
1/11/07 THUR Fly to Varanasi
1/12/07 FRI In Varanasi
1/13/07 SAT Fly to Khajuraho
1/14/07 SUN Drive to Bandavgarh Tiger Park
1/15/07 MON In Bandavgarh
1/16/07 TUES In Bandavgarh
1/17/07 WED Drive/Train back to Khajuraho
1/18/07 THUR Drive to Orcha
1/19/07 FRI In Orcha Area
1/20/07 SAT Drive to Jhansi, train to Agra
1/21/07 SUN In Agra
1/22/07 MON To Village Camp
1/23/07 TUES To Jaipur
1/24/07 WED In Jaipur
1/25/07 THUR Fly to Jodhpur and drive to Jaisalmer
1/26/07 FRI In Jaisalmer
1/27/07 SAT Drive to Jodhpur, fly to Udaipur
1/28/07 SUN In Udaipur
1/29/07 MON Morning in Udaipur, fly to Delhi. Depart
Delhi at 11:00 PM

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM

my iddediate impression is that you are spending tons of your time moving from one place to another...and very little time in the places you are heading for?????

i think one day in delhi will be very rushed and won't you have some jet lague to deal with as well
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM

every few weeks a post like this comes in about India

I get woozy reading your itinerary. I i think you are doing WAAAAAYYYYY to much in such a short time. I understand the desire of wanted to see a lot sinc eyou are all the way over there, but.... as someone said, you are spending tons of time moving and typically 1 day in a place.
The one good thing is 2 days in Bandavgarh
Basically, you will be doing a lot of city day tours and then flying out the next day. Is that really what you want? Are you the type that likes to spend some time walking on your own and soaking in a place for some time?

2 FULL days in Delhi at least. More time in Varanasi...

Baically I would concentrate on Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Bandavgarh- Varanasi.

And I have made my feelings clear on another thread if it comes down to Jaipur vs. Varanasi, dump Jaipur.

Jodpuh, the Khajuraho, Udaipur & other misc. Save them for next trip.

www.waynehazle.com/india/
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM

The good news is you have three weeks for your India trip, and that is a lovely amount of time for a really good feel of Notrth India. However, with three weeks u want to be sure not to exaust yourself silly, and i wld certainly suggest to mix up some intense travel/road journies and sightseeing with some leisurely down time for soaking it all and relaxation!

*I will say, looking over your proposed schedule, that is a very intense itinerary, moving both at a quick speed, and including some very adventurous road journies too, specifically i am refering to road travel in the state of Madhya Pradesh, where u are planning quite a bit of time and road journies, as roads in this state are often harrowing!They are certainly a adventure and yes, wld advise at least one, but by looking at your trip, way too much as i see to/from Bandagargh National park and then to orcha..Ouch.

I will say, there are certainly plenty of people who come to India, and follow a quick pace for a North India trip *but* there trips are ususally only for two weeks, and then they are truly exausted and ready to go Home! They have a great time of their life, do not get me wrong, but it is heavy duty traveling I know this, as i lead many two week fast paced trips thru North India thru Rajashtan, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh, and after the journey, everybody jokes that they need a Vacation! However, u guys are young and if u want to cover so much, the itinerary is intense, but it is feasible.

*That said, let me take a closer look at your program/itinerary and make some specific comments or suggestions.
Two nights, one day in Delhi..Entirely feasible. Many many folks only spend a day in Delhi covering the sights and are all to happy to get out. Most of the tours i lead are actually routed this way, so there is much more time for the countryside..This is comming from someone who lives in Delhi half the year and has a love/hate relationship with city..
Two nights and one day sightseeing in Varanasi should be fine! Again, this is the way many of the trips i lead are routed and it seems like ample time for most who love it, but are more than happy tp leave. Always varies,but u can get a good feel of the city if u visit the ganges for sunset(my favorite,), and sunrise!
I have already commented on the state of the roads in Madhya Pradesh, so i might rethink Badnavgarh in terms of your routing. There is a very small national park near Khajuraho called Panna that u might consider as it will cut down the big drive to/fro or u might want to save the national park and put it in Rajasthan, visiting Rathambore.
Speaking of khajuraho, make sure u have ample time there! I love Khajuraho and go there all time to unwind.One of my closest freinds is a excellent local guide there! And yes, flying in is a good idea, and taking the train out from Orcha..But just to let ya know, the road journey from Khaj to Orcha is about 5/^6 hours by road, and not a luxury road.
Staying in Orcha. Great idea. Love love Orcha, so peaceful and fascinating too. U will get a whole differnt feel of India staying and wandering here. My good friends own what i call the best hotel/resturant in town. It is called Amar Mahal. Gorgeous! I also know many local guides in the area that i pick up with my groups.
Not exactly sure what u mean by Village Camp in your trip? And as mentioned before, i might sugest for logistical reasons too add either Rathambore National Park in Rajasthan and/or u might even consider Bhartaphur, Ghanna Bird sanctuary/Keoladeo national park. Great places to stay in Rathambore and Bhartaphur is a wonderful place to visit too!
Okay, the end of your trip! yes, does get a bit choppy, and i certainly wld not recco traveling so far to get to jaisalmer for one day! It is so hard to reach and u will surely need more time therE. If u go to jaisalmer u Must go by Camel into the dunes too, even for a sleep~over, or at least sunset..u will need more time in Jaisalmer, at least by a day to do it any justice as this is a place to soak up the atmosphere. Cut somehwere and surely add another night in Jaisalmer!
Again, not alot of time left for udaipur either, but u can at least get a feel for the city and i think that will do here..
Anyways, there are so many options and so many ways to route this and so many different styles of traveling. If u are filled with energy and gusto, and want to cover so much, the routing is almost do~able with a few tweaks. However, u may want to cut a segment, slow it down, and travel at a slower pace. Up to U. Anyways, good luck and feel free to drop me a line for more suggestions/ info at [email protected] happy to help!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I agree with others - way too much. You are going somewhere new almost every day!!!

I would suggest focusing on 4 or 5 cities - Dehli- Agra -Varanasi-Bandavgarh-Jodpur/Jaiselmer - in that order or another.

When you are there, you will thank yourself that you slowed your trip down.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

thank you guys so much. I either have to chop out the tiger park, orcha, udaipur or jaiselmer. most likely the park or jaiselmer. I was really excited about the tiger park because I heard Bandavargh is amazing. please let me know what you would recommend I eliminate. this is tough! I realize it would be better to slow down, but my original itinerary didn't include udaipur and I wanted to add it in.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM

PLEASE

keep the tigers drop some cities.

The must keeps:
Tigers, Taj Mahal, Varanasi & Delhi (only because you are flying there)

Everything else is optional
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I would drop Jaiselmer and drive between Jodhpur and Udaipur...perhaps spending a night on the way at a nice heritage property.