Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India: How far is Bandhavgarh from Ranthambhore?

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Ericka and I are considering northern India for 2008 and we very interested in seeing tigers.

From reading this forum, I understand that Bandhavgarh has probably the best tiger density and prettiest reserve in the area. But we will already be in Ranthambhore (Aman-i-Khas) due to the Aman package we are planning to use.

We have the choice to spend 5 or so nights in Ranthambhore to increase our chance of sightings or spend a few nights in Ranthambhore and a few nights in Bandhavgarh (the new CC Africa). How far are the parks from one another? Anyone done the transfer? I realize travel can be slow through India so it could be bad.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

I have not been to Bandhavgarh, but can tell you that they are basically several hundred miles from each other. Ranthanbmore is in the state of Rajasthan in north central/west India. Bandhavgarh is in the state of Madhya Pradesh in central India. I believe the best way to travel between the two (other than by train which would involve a journey of probably 24 hours or so and possibly longer and would involve several changes), would be to train from Ranthambore to Delhi, then fly from Delhi to Khajuraho and then drive, I think it would take the 5-7 hours for the drive. If you tried to do this in one hop, this would take probably 1.5 days, you could break this up by going to Jaipur for a few days and then either flying from Jaipur to Khajuraho (via Delhi), or training/driving to Delhi from Jaipur and flying from there. You could look into night trains from Jaipur to a place near to Bandhavgarh.

However, while seeing tiger if of course very nice, you might jut want to concentrate on seeing the rich variety of wildlife which is available at either park, and perhaps pick one park to go to. To take all the time and effort to go to both parks, with a good chance that you might not see tiger at EITHER park, might be a waste of time and effort if you try to focus too much on seeing tiger. The parks are full of interesting wildlife and are beautiful in their own right. You might also miss so much of India which is so fascinating.

I love Ranthambore, but I am not sure I would spend 5 nights there, I think you may be missing out on other very interesting parts of India as well. I have been to Ranthambore 3 times, but have only seen tiger once, and that was on my second trip, on my second morning drive. I will say we were extremely lucky and saw a mother and two cubs. However, it is really just going to be sheer luck. The most I have spent is 3 nights there.

If you are going to Varanasi (a really fascinating place), a trip to Bandhavgarh may be easy to arrange, as you can fly from Varanasi to Khajuraho so this may be a good combination. I don't know your itinerary or what time of year you are planning the trip for.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Good info, Cicerone. Thanks for sharing.
I'll have to noodle this a bit more.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Hi Ericka,

Yes, it is right to say that tiger sighting is better in bandhavgarh then Ranthambhore. It also depends on the month you are planning to visit.

Stay 5 nights in Ranthambhore is kind of waste as there is nothing much to see there. There is a fort and just the wildlife. I think that if you have time then you must add Badndhavgarh and also if possible kanha as these two wildlife parks are much better than Ranthambhore. I feel that 3 night at each destination is more than sufficient. 5 nights is just too much.

The route you can foolow is staying at ranthambhore, From ranthambhore drive to Agra. From Agra there is a overnight train to bandhavgarh. Stay at Bandhavgarh and from bandhavgarh drive further to Kanha which is a 5 hrs drive. stay in kanha and further drive to Nagpur to take a flight further. This way you would b able to experience three wildlife parks of India which has got different Flore and Fauna.

The other option available to reach bandhavgarh is through khajuraho however I have heard that the road is bad for this journey.

I would suggest you to get in touch with a tour company which can really help in letting you know the various options available. You can get in touch with Shweta Seth at Compass tours who was very helpful / prompt when we traveled to India in Feb.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM

The road from Ranthambore to Agra is quite awful as well, the most spine- twisting, bone-crunching road I have EVER been on in more than 10 years of traveling in India. This is a drive I have done once and would never repeat even if someone paid me. While I have not done this drive in about 5 years, to the best of my knowledge, the road is still bad; I recently asked about this was I was last in Agra a few months ago. It is a dirt road with potholes in many places. I would not recco that you do this drive.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM

There is an early morning 7:10am, Air Deccan flight to Jabalpur & Jabalpur is about 125 miles away from Bandhavgarh. Incase you are staying with Taj Mahua Kothi, they will come & pick you up. The return flight is at 10:20am.
A couple of nights would be fine in Bandhavgarh as the tiger sightings, I am told, are much better there. I would be going there myself for a bit of research, when time permits...and therefore, am not in a position to make a statement on the comparative sight seeing vis-a-vis the Corbett, (where I have seen, fleeting glimpses of tigers at a few feet!)or Ranthambore.
By the way, how about trying the Oberois Vanya Vilas in Ranthambore. They have luxury tents with private sit outs, more conducive to the general aura of the place, for in the days of princely India, Big game hunting was done from tented accomodations or old forest rest houses!
Best Wishes!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow! More great info. Thank you very much.

VP_Singh, the flight that you mentioned, where does it depart from?

Ericka
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM

The Air Deccan flight (DN-505) to Jabalpur leaves Delhi at 7:10am & arrives in Jabalpur at 9:10 am.
The return flight to New Delhi departs Jabalpur at 10:20am.
Very best for your plans!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah, that road Agra to Ranthambore had some horrible parts.

I remember going through some tiny villages and I don't even think you could call what we were on a road,. Seeing people walk around in those villages was interesting... for a good 15 minutes