India first time, tour suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are early 60s and healthy. Our usual travel mode is rent a car, stay in b & b's and travel on our own. We want to go to India in Sept/Oct which would be our first trip there. We're nervous about trying that on our own and frankly would like to have someone else deal with the hotel and transportation arrangements this time. We like walking and would love to see some wildlife. Experiences/suggestions about tour operators who would be suitable for us would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Most people, like myself, on a first trip to India do the Golden Triangle.

Delhi/Agra/Jaipur - I also added Ranthambore & Varnasi. I did this in 2 weeks but I would recommend 3 if you can.

waynehazle.com/india/

I used this local company from Agra.

Local travel agent - also highly recommended :
Mr Anurag
Colleague Tours
18-A/10 Saurabh Compound, Jasoria Enclave
Fatehabad Road Agra 282001 India
Phone 0562 231362 2331363 Fax 0562 2230840
E-mail [email protected]
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Here's a report of my first trip:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34708806

I also was nervous doing India on my own, so this was a great compromise between "on our own" and "tour".
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM

One more Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ranthambore trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34578710
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:13 AM

I agree about your idea for the arrangements. You really don't want to drive in India. Enjoy your stay, be careful about what to eat and drink too. BTW one thing a man can do in India is have clothes tailor made for a song. If this interests you give it a try. Also if you wear glasses or contacts get them there. Afain you will save much $$ and the quality is excellent.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:40 AM

Well India is not hard to travel around independently - but not, as you have clearly realised, in a way you might employ in Europe.

But I find it sad that people of independent spirit don't want to accept the challenge and so slide gracefully into the arms of a tour operator.

What is it that frightens you so much?

Oh - and if you are counting on seeing wildlife - and if it is a priority - then you are on a hiding to nothing, unless you count the cows in the streets (assuming, that is, that you get to see the back streets).

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:01 AM

If the OP hasn't been to India B4 it is perfectly logical to want some sort of guidance. Also it is THEIR choice. Nothing sad about their preference really. Afterall they are going there in the first place. What is there so say they are frightened or afraid? All who want pre-arranged tours are afraid? That is way too presumptious. And as for seeing wildlife Chimani did you even read the thread or are you unaware of the wildlife that can be seen in India? Ranthambore? Tigers? BTW cows are just about everywhere, not just the back streets. Chimani I hope you are not a guide. Actually it seems as if you need one.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:13 AM

Jacketwatch, to add to your remarks - even I, an Indian, sought the services of a local agent (Compass Tours - thanks Craig!) to customise my just concluded 10-day photography jaunt through Rajasthan (I will post details under a separate thread). India is far too much hassle for my temperament and the ride can be considerably smoothened if you have experienced professionals working with you. For the vast majority of first-timer Westerners to India, I am convinced guidance from travel professionals is essential.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM

Thank you Agtoau. Will you be posting some pics too? That would be nice. BTW I'm making Tandoori chicken tonight (had samosas for breakfast ) for a party at our home. Nothing too fancy really but the commercial Tandoori pastes (we like Pataks) are really pretty good. Take care, Larry
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM

Here's my trip report:

fodors . com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27&tid=34838942

And I am glad that I had a tour operator and many mornings slid gracefully into the car as the driver took me somewhere

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM

Jacketwatch, yes, I shall post a link to my gallery once I am done boring through the mountain of RAW files I have come back with.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM

Good! It should be very nice. Thank you. Larry
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM

don't attempt it on your own for a first visit...

get some help...many operators have been suggested here...

simple things like buying a train ticket can turn into nightmares if you don't have help...

we hired a driver and suv for 11 days and it cost between $400-500....this turned out being a true bargain and a refuge and someone you can rely upon for assistance of any sort...
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM

i should have added that we are in our 60's, moderately well travelled, and seasoned SE Asia travelers and still we required total assistance...

i always drive myself and do everything myself but honestly i can not imagine doing that in india, unless i was just visiting a couple of cities...
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM

a. Rajasthan is certainly a good introduction for your first time to India. It offers a variety of destinations replete with history & culture. Each palace hotel has a history of its own; the forts perched up on rocky cliffs & marked by shell-shots, some unique battle-fort hotels offering luxurious hospitality & fine dining.
b. Some temples in Rajasthan take you back at least a 1000 yrs., each an embodiment of mathematics, geometry & astronomy. The sculptures on their walls & each stone in itself, a temple in miniature; the secular artist has woven memorable scenes that are contemporary, cultural & romantic.
c. Our hills of north India offer wonderful & invigorating walks / hiking, in pristine surroundings. Nothing is more enchanting than sunsets in the Himalayas, when the sun is reduced to a fiery red ball & the birds add a note or two to the nature’s orchestra.
d. Ranthambhore or Sariska forests hold a lot of wildlife. Corbett is obviously my first choice, (reopens on 15 November), for you can stay inside the forests & on banks of the rivers that criss-cross the game reserve.
Happy Travels!