Iga Uneo ninja house/museum

Feb 8th, 2005, 05:55 AM
emd
Original Poster

Iga Uneo ninja house/museum

If anyone has been there I would appreciate hearing about your experience. Per my other post on Nijo Jin'ya, we are trying to decide which of these two places to visit. Nijo Jin'ya requires a translator to accomapny us, but Iga Uneo is a day trip from Kyoto (although it seems it can be added to the day trip to Nara). Thanks in advance.
Feb 15th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Kei

I have been both Nijo Jinya and Iga Ueno. If you like Ninja very much, Iga Ueno is good for you. You can see the real Ninja house and Ninja tools. Indeed, you don't need translator in Iga Ueno.
Nijo Jinya is also good. There are more tricks in Nijo Jinya than Iga Ueno.
I have some photos that I took last week in Iga. Unfortunately, I don't have photo in Nijo Jinya, because we cannot take photo in Nijo Jinya. Please mail me if you want to see them.
Feb 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM
emd
Original Poster

Kei, thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed. I think we will skip Nijo Jinya and try to fit Iga Ueno in on the day trip to Nara, as I have seen directions on doing that. Thank you for your offer on the pictures; I have seen pretty good pictures of Iga Ueno on the web. Question- when you went last week did you see any mention of the upcoming Ninja Fest they have in spring? I have seen mentions of this for prior years. It seems to start at end of March-Early April and goes for a few wks. and weekends. I hope we can catch that but I can't find any scheudle info for 2005. Any ideas about that or what it is like?
Also, did you go on the weekend and see the ninja demonstrations outside? We would need to adjust our itinerary a bit to get there on a Sunday to see that if it is worth it, but I am willing to do that.
Thanks again, I thought I wasn't going to get a reply to this post.
Feb 15th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Kei

I went there last Sunday, but I didn't see the Ninja show. Because it was so cold day. But many people entered the show area.
Concerning Ninja Fest, there was not any infomation. But I found the information on the website of Mie Prefecture's tourist organization. Ninja Fest in this year is a marathon event from Nara to Iga Ueno on April 24.
Iga Ueno is famous for beef. There is a good beef restaurant in Iga Ueno!
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:08 AM
emd
Original Poster

Kei, what is the restaurant? We will be there late in the day and could potentially eat there before going back to Kyoto. Is it close to the station?
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM
emd
Original Poster

Actually the festival I saw mentioned was called Ninja Festa. It is described as parades, dance performances, ninja schools, etc. See: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/travel/ninja/ninja3.html
and look at bottom of the page.
Feb 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Kei

The restaurant is "Moritsuzi". They offer Iga beef. I could have a lunch at reasonable price, about 2,000 Yen. But I think dinner may be expensive. Perhaps it may cost at least 6000 Yen for dinner. The distance from the station is about 1 km.
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM

According to museum website,
ninja demonstrations outside are held every day except Tuesday between end Mar and mid Nov.
Subject to scheduling changes and weather conditions.
Advanced booking is recommended for groups.

Local news reports
Ninja festa 2005 is going to be Apr 1 to May 5.